HDMI vs Component Cables with 722

The problem is that the more superior the connection, the more flaws in the "superior" the viewer will see. In other words, clarity to see all the beautiful aesthetic aspects of a great video picture also bring the defects into clarity. A "downgraded" picture may, in fact, be perceived as a "better" picture because while there is a loss of the clarity, it also can't reproduce many of the flaws apparent in the superior connection. It is all very subjective and all about compromise. It is a lot like an airbrushed photograph or a softened digital photograph.

It's funny, because what we humans consider to be the best video picture is often a very processed signal with "rich" colors, etc., when in fact, our humans eyes and perception in real life don't see things like that at all. A good example is the color temperature setting. It can be used to display a nice rich green that we think is real green, but it is not. I love the processed rich green green that looks so right on green and it seems more real. But green in real life isn't really that green.

The only time I have ever been wowed, by real-life using my own to eyes, color that looked as rich as a really great video picture was during the Tournament of Roses Parade, as the floats are designed for that purpose. Real life never looks a beautifully processed as our TV's.

Just for the record Digital does not always equal better... Many recording artists are going back to recording their masters onto tape before editing in a digital environment because of the superior tone they get from the analog tape. Digital tends to have a less listenable tone to the trained ear, and the untrained ear reacts in ways you might not think of (shorter listening times because the digital versions have more artifacts that are unpleasant to the ear)

No, they like the colorations better. Please define "trained ear" too. Hmmm, I'm a trained musician, with many years experience as an audiophile.

I don't find digital to be any less "listenable" than analog alternatives.

I'm not really a video guy, so I can't speak to the specifics of what that translates to in the eyes, but the broad statement that HDMI is better because it is digital doesn't carry weight with me.

Okay, so let's take the path to your TV.

For a digital display, here's the component video path:
Decode in Sat Receiver --> D/A conversion for component transmission -->
A/D Conversion for processing in display --> Processing in Display --> Display of picture

For an analog display (think CRT or an older LCD rear projection set):
Decode in Sat Receiver --> D/A conversion for component transmission -->
A/D Conversion for processing in display --> Processing in Display --> D/A conversion --> Display of picture

For a digital display with HDMI:
Decode in Sat Receiver --> Processing in Display --> Display of picture.

For an analog display with HDMI:
Decode in Sat Receiver --> Processing in Display --> D/A conversion --> Display of picture.

Yeah, they're roughly the same, aren't they?

Sure, digital makes our lives better in plenty of ways but sometimes there is no comparison to a good old fashioned analog signal.

:rolleyes:

It's funny, because what we humans consider to be the best video picture is often a very processed signal with "rich" colors, etc., when in fact, our humans eyes and perception in real life don't see things like that at all.
Indeed.

I remember as a little kid one evening being in our living room (which appeared to be lit by white light) then going outside to look at a bright full moon.

When I looked away from the moon and into the window and saw that a yellow-orange light had filled the room. But when I ran back inside, the room changed back to being lite with "white light"

A lot of what we perceive comes from our minds.

If you hate your TV (or satellite company) most likely you will perceive it has an awful picture. But if you read a lot of reviews and bought the set that is supposed to have the "best color picture" you will most likely perceive it to be true.

If enough "smart" people tell you Monster Cables make the picture better and you spend the money to buy some odds are you will perceive it to be so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)