HDMI vs. Component from the 722: Which do you prefer?

EmpireState

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
I'm wondering what 722 owners think about the HDMI vs. the Component video feed as far as PQ goes. Any fans of one over the other? Reasons? I know my own preference, but I'm curious what others have to say.
-thanks

I immediately noticed the difference in the guides and menus. The fonts seemed stronger and more clear with component video. A little thicker, less thin and occasionally wobbly as they appear over HDMI. I then did a PQ test by pausing and switching between the video input for component and then for HDMI. Ever so slightly noticeably more accurate with component. Moving video was the same. The downside of the more accurate component video feed was the visibility of grain in some shows and movies. The grain was still there with the HDMI, but the HDMI feed obscured it due to its video characteristics. I guess some shows and movies are shot in a way that has grain.

My setup is probably the key to all this though and won't be the same for anyone else. I have a 46" Sony rear-projection HD television with a DVI input so I have to run an HDMI to DVI cable instead of straight HDMI. They say it should be the same, but who knows? That's why I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about it.

--THANKS

Last edited:
I prefer component as HDMI makes me feel like I am developing cataracts.

Ted

Does it fuzz it a little or what does it do that you don't like?

I like the component video vs. HDMI coming out of my Blu-Ray player also. Seems to have the same affect as it does with the 722. I'm guessing it is just my own T.V.'s personal preference for clear video delivery. Again, it is a close call.

I am using component on the 622 right now, but only because the HDMI port on the 622 has blown... but when HBO starts enforcing DRM, say goodbye to using component... not HDCP... so it will drop to 480p, and that will suck. :(

I am using component on the 622 right now, but only because the HDMI port on the 622 has blown... but when HBO starts enforcing DRM, say goodbye to using component... not HDCP... so it will drop to 480p, and that will suck. :(

I hear ya on that one. I'm not an HBO subscriber so I'm fine but yeah, they're getting into the DRM big time from what I hear. HBO FTL.

I use Component for E*, HDMI for HD DVD player. Picture looks "Washed Out" when using HDMI with E*, but looks fine using HDMI with HD DVD player.

I'm not as experienced as others, as I got my first HDTV as well as first Dish back in November, but this is my experience:

The 722 came with component, and the guy doing the installation swore by component. But I went and picked up a dirt cheap HDMI (something like $10) to do a direct comparison.

After toying around with both on various channels, sporting events and such, I personally saw little difference between the components supplied with the 722 and the HDMI. Since I needed the component spot for other things, I am using the HDMI and have been very happy with it.

HDMI port died on my 722 so I'm now using component.

I've had multiple people at Dish SWEAR to me that the DRM downgrading is now a go-go and component will continue to work fine.

i used component w my XBOX360 and now i chang it with HDMI and i can see to much change but i preferd to use HDMI i think is the best type of connection and i can use 1080p...

Does it fuzz it a little or what does it do that you don't like?

I like the component video vs. HDMI coming out of my Blu-Ray player also. Seems to have the same affect as it does with the 722. I'm guessing it is just my own T.V.'s personal preference for clear video delivery. Again, it is a close call.
With HD DVD, upscaling of SD only works with HDMI. The component connection changes standard DVDs to progressive (480p) scan. You may want to check the manual of your BD to see if that is the case.

I've used both and the HDMI may be just a little better and I mean just that, just a LITTLE! I prefer the HDMI because of it's simplicity and it's a true digital connection!

i have compared both hdmi and component with 722 . my hdtv is the samsung plasma 5884 and the pq is definitely better with the component.

The picture on my Pioneer 6070HD plasma is noticeably better via HDMI 1.3 cable (not Monster) for my 722. With Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, it's no contest: to TV only accepts 1080p24fps over HDMI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)