HDMI vs Component: Is there a big difference?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
My TV only has three HDMI inputs and I'm thinking about switching my VIP 722k to Component cables.

Is there a big difference in quality? I know that component doesn't carry audio (i.e. I'll use toslink or RCA cables since I only have two-channel stereo), but are there any other big differences?

Has anybody compared the two on this receiver?

The majority here will tell you there is NO PQ difference. I have two 42" plasmas...one compoment, one HDMI from same receiver. PQ is same. Personally, I think color saturation is a tad better with component, but that just might be the difference between the sets (one a couple of years older than the other).

What all do you have hooked up to the HDMIs?

Sofakng,

I have used my 722 on both component and HDMI. I used it via component to my 42" LCD for a few years, as I had my audio receiver and sat box in another room using an RF remote. At the time of installation, it was much cheaper to make a long run of component cables than to get a 50' HDMI cable. I've since moved that same receiver to my basement when it was finished to a 50' plasma, running through an audio/video receiver again.

I can say that I do see a difference. It's not a huge drastic difference, but the picture does show more crisp and slight better detail.

HDMI is a true digital source-to-tv (so to speak) connection. Component is using an analog signal to a digital source. Depending on your TV, you may see a large difference or a small difference. Either way, you'll see a slightly better picture.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts