hdmi vs component resolutions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jetwrench

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
With all the hdmi issues I've been reading about I've got a resolution question.Will a component video cable set carry all the resolutions an hdmi cable will?I know hdmi is a digital signal and component is an analog signal I'm just not sure if the component will handle all the resolutions the hdmi will.Trying to decide which hookup to use on my new hr20 to my rca senium dlp.

With all the hdmi issues I've been reading about I've got a resolution question.Will a component video cable set carry all the resolutions an hdmi cable will?I know hdmi is a digital signal and component is an analog signal I'm just not sure if the component will handle all the resolutions the hdmi will.Trying to decide which hookup to use on my new hr20 to my rca senium dlp.

If you're using a H20 or HR20 IRD, then yes, the IRD will provide whatever resolution you choose on its component outputs; and the cable they provide will put a viewable signal on your screen.

Technically-speaking, I vaguely recall reading an electrical spec about component video cables. If I remember correctly, they are designed to carry analog resolutions up to 720p. However, I have seen conflicting articles stating that component can carry the full-range of resolutions (up to 1080p).

This site claims to have tested its cables and says they are capable of carrying 720p/1080i signals without degradation: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/cables.html

The easiest answer for you: try the component video cables provided by D* and see whether you ase satisfied with the picture. One way or another, the only thing that matters is your personal satisfaction; not the online debate. Your equipment, your money, your opinion, period.

Component and HDMI are virtually the same quality wise for 99% of the people out there. Technically HDMI should be better but most people can't tell the difference.

I can attest to the "no difference" argument. The doco's for the HR20 state that both component and HDMI output 720P and 1080i. I have both connected to my 42" samsung to compare. Switching back and forth I do not see any difference at all. Both are great quality for my taste. But every single person on here is different. I would start with the component and upgrade to hdmi later if you are not satisfied.

If you end up going HDMI, go to monoprice.com and get it. $6.00 versus $100 is a lot better way to find that there is virtually no difference.

I have both component and HDMI (purchased from Bluejeans Cable) connected from HR-20 thru Denon AVR-4306 to Mits WD62725 DLP. The long run is 35' for both HDMI and component. I see no difference in video quality between the two. I do have an issue trying to view the receiver's on screen display for setup over HDMI so I have programmed a Harmony 880 activity that changes input to component when I need to access the setup menu and to view the on screen display while streaming internet radio or PC stored mpegs thru the Denon.

I can attest to the "no difference" argument. The doco's for the HR20 state that both component and HDMI output 720P and 1080i. I have both connected to my 42" samsung to compare. Switching back and forth I do not see any difference at all. Both are great quality for my taste. But every single person on here is different. I would start with the component and upgrade to hdmi later if you are not satisfied.

If you end up going HDMI, go to monoprice.com and get it. $6.00 versus $100 is a lot better way to find that there is virtually no difference.

For almost every consumer setup there is no discernable difference between component and HDMI. If someone has paid $100 for an HDMI cable then they would like to think there's a difference but it is very rare that HDMI improves picture quality, unless there is a problem somewhere in the system. Sometimes component gives better quality than HDMI; I've seen very negative comments about HDMI from professional video engineers, many people think it is a very poor standard. And don't believe "it must be better because it's digital" - there are so many conversions involved between the original signal and the final displayed version even if you are using HDMI.
HDMI has two advantages - it's a single cable solution, and it supports copy protection. In theory DirecTV could be pressured by the studios to only deliver HD over copy protected connections, and to down-convert component to 480p - but the general view is it is not going to happen, at least not within the lifespan of the equipment we currently own.

If you go to the monoprice or blue jeans cable web sites you will see some interesting comments/info on cables. And I can recommend them both for good prices and excellent customer service. Don't be persuaded by the big electronics stores that you need pay $100 for a six-foot cable (or even $30!)

Thanks for input everyone.I am well aware of the price differential in the cables and have a source for pricing that would make either choice viable if the hdmi was significiant enough in advantage in video quality to go that way.From the response's I've seen and from what I've read that does not seem to be the case. I think I'll go with the component hookup for now.

We've discussed the video angle, but the other half to consider is your audio. If you're going the component route and want DTS or Dolby Digital sound, then you'll have to get a toslink cable to go with the component video.

I have also heard no difference in customers who have paid 100 plus for Monster HDMI and compared it to HDMI for $20 with NO difference in picture quality. I asumme it would be the same for component cables.

Well, as I hooked it up with the component cables and made my way through the dvr setup for the first time I ran into a snag at the resloution selections. I could not enable 720p.Turns out my rca 50" scenium hdlp won't take 720p on the component input per the tv manual but it will take 1080i.So I tried to hook up with an hdmi using an hdmi cable with a dvi adapter on the other end as my tv only has dvi.I couldn't get any type of useable signal to pass,I'm assuming it's the handshake issue,bummer.So for now I guess it's 1080i via component.

From my experience component always works while HDMI has problems with HD receivers (or HD receivers have problem with HDMI). Or maybe its the TV who the hell knows. But in terms of picture quality I tell ya I've seen hundreeds of HD TVs and its always the TV that makes the difference. Spend 5 grand and you'll get amazing video. Buy that 600 dollar tv from Cosco and you get yourself a big flat screen piece of crap. Seriously. Dont buy from Cosco.

Well, as I hooked it up with the component cables and made my way through the dvr setup for the first time I ran into a snag at the resloution selections. I could not enable 720p.Turns out my rca 50" scenium hdlp won't take 720p on the component input per the tv manual but it will take 1080i.So I tried to hook up with an hdmi using an hdmi cable with a dvi adapter on the other end as my tv only has dvi.I couldn't get any type of useable signal to pass,I'm assuming it's the handshake issue,bummer.So for now I guess it's 1080i via component.

I have never come across a TV that did not take 720p through component. Exactly which model is it???

It's an rca scenium HDLP50W151YX3.It was one of the first sets rca put out when they switched to dlp technology,got it around August 2004.Here's a scan right out of the manual.It kind of surprised me that it would take a 1080i signal and not a 720p,but it kind of backs up what I've always thought personally.I always thought the 720p looked better than the 1080i,if it can take the 1080i and not the 720p,that tells me the 720p must take more muscle equipment wise to display.Whats wierd is that I have an antenna hooked straight to the tv as it has a built in hd tuner.It will pick up all hd resolutions including 720p from there and display them.

Attachments

• scenium.pdf
    303.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
What a strange design decision on their part, especially as they allow for 720p from their internal tuner, so all the circuitry is there already.
What is the native resolution of the TV (pixels)??

I found it in a web search, it's 1280 x 720. Even more curious then, it has to convert 1080i to 720p in order to display it, so 720p is less processing. I am at a loss to know why they would do this.....

I dont understand resolutions very well but many older TVs I hook HD receivers with would have 1080i and wont have 720p. Not sure why.

Spend 5 grand and you'll get amazing video. Buy that 600 dollar tv from Cosco and you get yourself a big flat screen piece of crap. Seriously. Dont buy from Cosco.
That's just plain stupid. One can get a good quality Sony, Panasonic, or Toshiba LCD or Plasma TV at Costco. Plus, if you ever have a problem, you can return it practically any time, no matter how old it is.

One can buy a POS at ANY store. The important thing is to stay away from the crap brands like Vizio, Olevia, Akai, RCA, etc, not any particular store. (except of course for the various online ripoff vendors, most of which are located in Brooklyn, for some reason, such as MP Superstore, Butterfly, BuyDig, etc.)

That's just plain stupid. One can get a good quality Sony, Panasonic, or Toshiba LCD or Plasma TV at Costco. Plus, if you ever have a problem, you can return it practically any time, no matter how old it is.

One can buy a POS at ANY store. The important thing is to stay away from the crap brands like Vizio, Olevia, Akai, RCA, etc, not any particular store. (except of course for the various online ripoff vendors, most of which are located in Brooklyn, for some reason, such as MP Superstore, Butterfly, BuyDig, etc.)

Name brand and price should be two indicators enough to stay away from bad TVs. When I said 600 dollars here is your red flag. You know its not Sony or Toshiba.

Status
Please reply by conversation.