HDMI weirdness

CFGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Shawnee, KS
I ran into a strange thing while hooking up a new 612 receiver.

I have a 27 inch Insignia TV and on Saturday I had the DISH installer just use the same hookups that the 522 has been using. So everything works like before and all is well.

Today (Sunday) I decided to hook the receiver up with a HDMI cable. I currently have the same kind of cable on my 50 inch TV in the living room and it works with no problems. I hooked the cable up to the 612 and to the TV. The receiver seemed to be working a bit slower but the weird thing is the UHF remote would not work if I was more than 5 feet from the receiver.
I tested this several times. I would pull the cable lose and the remote worked fine. Plug the cable in and could not get more than 5 feet away.

I took the cable to a different room and hooked it up to a different 612 and a 22 inch TV. It worked just fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Things to try?

My guess is your Insignia is an LCD. Turn off any dynmic/auto contrast and backlighting controls as they create IR interference. If your other TV is non LCD, that's why it had no problems. Nothing to do with HDMI.

recurring problem

In more than one thread I've seen where some one was having problems with the Insignia brand. Since it is price point house brand I bet they stripped it's quality down to as cheap as possible. Mean that it will put out much more noise than a better built unit. So turn off the auto contrast and the noise that circuit puts out will shut down and probably work.

Is the UHF antenna screwed into the back of the 612?
Dan

Yep, it is.

My guess is your Insignia is an LCD. Turn off any dynmic/auto contrast and backlighting controls as they create IR interference. If your other TV is non LCD, that's why it had no problems. Nothing to do with HDMI.

Correct, it is a 27 inch LCD.

In more than one thread I've seen where some one was having problems with the Insignia brand. Since it is price point house brand I bet they stripped it's quality down to as cheap as possible. Mean that it will put out much more noise than a better built unit. So turn off the auto contrast and the noise that circuit puts out will shut down and probably work.

This particular one is also one that I have had for a long time. It didn't have anything labeled Auto Contrast. I turned off a couple of noise reduction options that were on and I could get a bit farther away. I ended up using the composite connection to hook it up. That lets us use the remote from across the room, which is a good thing. :D

Thanks for the suggestons, everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts