HDNET gone

branchbouncer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 5, 2004
Massanutten,VA
Well we have had Comcast (Adelphia) for a little over a year since we moved from Northern Va to Massanutten. The service has been quite good and alot more HD programming than we had with D*. A couple of weeks ago they dropped INHD2 and added TNTHD not a bad move but the pisser is that this weekend they dropped the HDNET programming(both channels) and added Universal HD and some crap called MHD(music like MTV I guess)Badddddd move.I have contacted both HDNET and Comcast but doubt that anything will come of it as far as adding the channels back

Comcast does not have a contract with HDNet. Adelphia did, so when Comcast took over their territory HDNet was kept on until the existing Adelphia contract ran out. You'll not see those channels until they have a contract in hand.

I figured that,but to replace them with poor quality channels is a shame. Probably won't see them coming back any time soo since Cuban specifies that they be delivered at high bandwidth. We can always dump Comcast and pick up E* until Comcast gets it together

UHD is not a poor quality channel. It's one of the more requested HD channels in markets that don't have it.

Well we have had Comcast (Adelphia) for a little over a year since we moved from Northern Va to Massanutten. The service has been quite good and alot more HD programming than we had with D*. A couple of weeks ago they dropped INHD2 and added TNTHD not a bad move but the pisser is that this weekend they dropped the HDNET programming(both channels) and added Universal HD and some crap called MHD(music like MTV I guess)Badddddd move.I have contacted both HDNET and Comcast but doubt that anything will come of it as far as adding the channels back
Comcast dropped HDNet and HDNet Movies in my area last month and replaced them with DiscoveryHD and TNTHD. In our case, the HDNets were removed from the channel lineup (for those having a set-top-box), but are still being broadcast in-the-clear for those of having a digital QAM Tuner. When I want to watch HDNet I simply switch to the ATSC/QAM tuner in my HDTV or Sony HD DVR. Offhand, I don't think the HDNets will be permanently pulled since carriage of these channels is ongoing AFAIK. I'm not sure if this applies to your area, but you can always give it a try.

Personally speaking, the days of HDNet demanding a premium for their programming are over now that the mainstream cable favorites are going HD. Let's face it, customers should not have to pay 5 times as much for HDNet than they do for TNTHD, etc. I hope Comcast/HDNet come to terms soon, but they will have to be at terms more in line with keeping subscribers rate within reason.

I assume that we are talking about the same channel "UNIHD" is it's call sign here,and while i am in my 50's,I am not amused by C and B class 60's and early 70's movies--The Equalizer"(on now) and "Day of the Jackel" next on, with a piss poor transfer from orginal film. It wasn't so bad when they added TNTHD, although ER,West Wing, and what ever the hell Charmed is,can get old relly fast and thier HD transfer is one of the worst--look at the reviews in the D* and E* forums

Comcast dropped HDNet and HDNet Movies in my area last month and replaced them with DiscoveryHD and TNTHD. In our case, the HDNets were removed from the channel lineup (for those having a set-top-box), but are still being broadcast in-the-clear for those of having a digital QAM Tuner. When I want to watch HDNet I simply switch to the ATSC/QAM tuner in my HDTV or Sony HD DVR. Offhand, I don't think the HDNets will be permanently pulled since carriage of these channels is ongoing AFAIK. I'm not sure if this applies to your area, but you can always give it a try.

Personally speaking, the days of HDNet demanding a premium for their programming are over now that the mainstream cable favorites are going HD. Let's face it, customers should not have to pay 5 times as much for HDNet than they do for TNTHD, etc. I hope Comcast/HDNet come to terms soon, but they will have to be at terms more in line with keeping subscribers rate within reason.

So are you splitting you cable,running one to the STB and then one to the TV turner?Does it show up in the channel guide of the TV? if so I will have to try that,there are a few shows that my wife really likes that are on HDNET and if I want to continue to spend on top gear,gotta make the other half "Happy". Just got her and the youngest tickets to Texas to visit her parents and go to Sea World

I assume that we are talking about the same channel "UNIHD" is it's call sign here,and while i am in my 50's,I am not amused by C and B class 60's and early 70's movies--The Equalizer"(on now) and "Day of the Jackel" next on, with a piss poor transfer from orginal film. It wasn't so bad when they added TNTHD, although ER,West Wing, and what ever the hell Charmed is,can get old relly fast and thier HD transfer is one of the worst--look at the reviews in the D* and E* forums

Universal also shows Battlestar Galactica, Law & Order SVU, Quantum Leap, and many other programs in true HD unlike some of the programming that A&E and TNT offer.

My cable system still has HDNet and Movies and I really have no reason to watch either. Movies gets maybe 1 or 2 interesting movies to watch but once you see em there's no point to seeing them again. The one movie I cared about seeing last month was Close Encounters and the transfer was horrible AND letterboxed.

I won't miss the HDNets when they are gone, I'd be much more upset if I lost UniversalHD.

So are you splitting you cable,running one to the STB and then one to the TV turner?Does it show up in the channel guide of the TV? if so I will have to try that,there are a few shows that my wife really likes that are on HDNET and if I want to continue to spend on top gear,gotta make the other half "Happy". Just got her and the youngest tickets to Texas to visit her parents and go to Sea World
I actually ran 4 coax to each TV location a few years back due to VOOM's pending release of their dual-tuner/whole home networking DVR, and the fact I have two OTA antennas...but splitting the cable will work. Anyway, just as long as your set has a digital QAM tuner and the channels are in-the-clear, then you should be able to pick them up...just scan for digitals. Additionally, my new Mitsubishi TV and Sony HD DVR have built in TV Guide On Screen so they appear in the guide. I can't recall, but I though you had a Sony HD DVR too (DHG-HDD500)?

I'll have to check the sets but I am sure they do one is a HL-S6188W the other one that should have the tuner is the HL-R5688W,I know that the Sony KP46 down stairs doesn't but thats where the kids watch and I know they don't care about HDNET

I live here in laplace LA and Comcast has taken over from TWC We going to lose HDNET and HD Moives 01 March... I like HD net A lot I guess it is time to go back to Sattt.. I am a EX voOmer.. I guess I am going to dish. Any other Ideas?????

I'll have to check the sets but I am sure they do one is a HL-S6188W the other one that should have the tuner is the HL-R5688W,I know that the Sony KP46 down stairs doesn't but thats where the kids watch and I know they don't care about HDNET
Any lucks with the HDNets? As I mentioned, these channels (along with INHD2) were replaced by DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, and ESPN2 over a month ago in our area - they no longer appear in the Guide of the Comcast (formerly Adelphia) HD DVR. While INHD2 disappeared for good, HDNet and HDNet Movies are still there in-the-clear on my HDTVs and Sony HD DVR as of this morning. In our area, the HD quality is excellent - there are three HD channels per QAM256, however the variable rate encoders perform very well. Personally, I'm sure the HDNets will reappear once they come to terms with Comcast. Let's face it...HD is now mainstream and Comcast, along with their 25+ million subscribers, should not have have to pay a premium for these two channels when they can probably get all 15 VOOM HD channels for the same price.

Attachments

• DSC_00090001.JPG
    DSC_00090001.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_00140001.JPG
    DSC_00140001.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 146
riffjim4069

No I haven't had a chance to check for HDNET,were having a problem with a 300+lb black bear here.Raised hell on a next door neighbors porch last night, I spooked him/her 2 nights ago while walking my Labs for thier late night walk. Animal control/Police don't seem to interested in dealing with it since the bear has displayed "aggressive behavior" according to neighbors. Will try to check in the next few days and see if it's there, for the time being looks as it's gonna be me,the boys(Labs),and the 44

I really like Bears too,was gonna go to Alaska in the early 90's and hunt Grizz,got books like Erwin Bauer's "Bear in thier World",the Bear Book and many others,read them on a flight across the country with my wife and by the time we had returned home I withdrew my name from the lottery in Alaska.They are one of the most misunderstood animals in the US right there with the wolf. Long story short I have grown very fond of this "majestic animal",if I ever do go back to Alaska for Bear it will be shooting them with a camera.But as you said--if one gets outta hand well thats a whole nother matter

Any lucks with the HDNets? As I mentioned, these channels (along with INHD2) were replaced by DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, and ESPN2 over a month ago in our area - they no longer appear in the Guide of the Comcast (formerly Adelphia) HD DVR. While INHD2 disappeared for good, HDNet and HDNet Movies are still there in-the-clear on my HDTVs and Sony HD DVR as of this morning. In our area, the HD quality is excellent - there are three HD channels per QAM256, however the variable rate encoders perform very well. Personally, I'm sure the HDNets will reappear once they come to terms with Comcast. Let's face it...HD is now mainstream and Comcast, along with their 25+ million subscribers, should not have have to pay a premium for these two channels when they can probably get all 15 VOOM HD channels for the same price.

Finally tired today, did a channel sweep and there is no HD-NET or the HDNET movies( this was with out the SA 8300 connected just using the Samsung QAM tuner) what was weird is that of the HD channel that I did find were the DC locals(HD) and DiscoveryHD and TNTHD,also PBS from two locations, I assume that everything else is scrambled or in the case of HDNET just gone.
Tomorrow I am going to fired up the recently installed D* dish to compare PQ(weather permitting) with what I am gettig from Comcast, my understanding from people with the same set-up, is that Comcast (in our area) blows D* away, that would make sense concidering that the population of Fairfax County(where we lived up till Dec 2005 ) is 1,041,200 --with a size half of Rockingham County, being less than 1/10 of that( less strain on the Comcast System)and probably less that 20% (population) of that getting HD os HSI. See tomorrow

Finally tired today, did a channel sweep and there is no HD-NET or the HDNET movies( this was with out the SA 8300 connected just using the Samsung QAM tuner) what was weird is that of the HD channel that I did find were the DC locals(HD) and DiscoveryHD and TNTHD,also PBS from two locations, I assume that everything else is scrambled or in the case of HDNET just gone.
Tomorrow I am going to fired up the recently installed D* dish to compare PQ(weather permitting) with what I am gettig from Comcast, my understanding from people with the same set-up, is that Comcast (in our area) blows D* away, that would make sense concidering that the population of Fairfax County(where we lived up till Dec 2005 ) is 1,041,200 --with a size half of Rockingham County, being less than 1/10 of that( less strain on the Comcast System)and probably less that 20% (population) of that getting HD os HSI. See tomorrow
Sorry to hear the HDNets are gone. From my experienced with Adelphia/Comcast and D*, your Comcast HD PQ will indeed blow them away...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)