HDNet/HDNet Movies now Mpeg4

Just an FYI... I don't think you'll see a difference in file size just yet. They changed the channels to MPEG4 but haven't really added any additional channels to those TPs. So the bandwidth of the channels is relatively the same, just now in MPEG4. They should look great though!

So the consensus around here is definitely that MPEG4 is a good thing. Why? I thought the main thing was smaller files. Should we expect smaller files to have better picture quality? Any other benefits?

Just an FYI... I don't think you'll see a difference in file size just yet. They changed the channels to MPEG4 but haven't really added any additional channels to those TPs. So the bandwidth of the channels is relatively the same, just now in MPEG4. They should look great though!

They added 7 temps to fill out each TP to 7, so that shouldn't last.

First, the MPEG4 encoders that Dish (and others) are using are considered to be good enough that they provide equal picture quality as MPEG2 encoders. Second, the req'd bitrate of MPEG4 data can be 1/2 of what MPEG4 requires. That alone is a HUGE benefit to providers like Dish, DirecTV, and so on. They can now put (2) channels in the same "slot" as a previous MPEG2 channel and remember, these "slots" are limited.

So the consensus around here is definitely that MPEG4 is a good thing. Why? I thought the main thing was smaller files. Should we expect smaller files to have better picture quality? Any other benefits?

Yes, MPEG4 is a good thing. We will expect smaller files when the fill out the TMP channels.

Let's say HDTHR was running at 10 mbps at MPEG2. Now it's running at 10 mbps at MPEG4. It's going to record the same size. But in reality since MPEG4 is more efficient you could consider it running at say 18 mbps in MPEG2 terms. And these are just numbers, as I didn't look at the bitrate of each channel, just looked at the TP as a whole.

MPEG4 may give a slightly different look due to the encoder but Dish was already starving these HD channels to begin with so yes you should see a good bit of difference when you watch these channels today.

Please keep in mind that this the internet. Please refrain from posting any positive comments. All posts should be in the form of cynical complaints.

Also please consider putting one of the following in any post:

That Dish is screwing you.
That Dish is a bunch of liars
That Dish and/or Charlie individually is driven by unrepentant corporate greed.
Well, anything that you can associate with Greed can be posted.
Threaten to cancel Dish and go to DirectTV or Cable
and finally, that you are still pissed that they took firewire off the 921!

Thanks, ;)

Last edited:
I'm just doing my part in keeping the internet on track. Its hard work, but together we can get it done.

yeah, the MPEG4 functionality is provided by a hardware chip that Dish installs in their HD receivers. So as long as you are using a newer HD box you should be good. The quick test is to just see if you can view any of the HD channels. Especially any of the channels that have been added since 2006.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)