HDNET Macroblocking

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Anyone else in Tampabay area seeing terrible macroblocking on movement (especially graphics) on HDNET?

I don't know what's going on but I have phone calls in.

Ya their is a device in the headend that is suppose to stop that, to pick bandwidth (bw) from one to antoher and move it around when channels are more active.. But it still isnt a perfect sceince yet, when they invest in the new equipment and finish the headend upgrades it should correct that issue.. When a channel changes alot, like say on a sports show, it requires more BW because usally they only send the data that is new.. so if your watching a show with a slow moving feel to it it doesnt change as quick or often so less bw is required.. This "cherry picker" device takes bw from channel to channel and moves it around in realtime to give channels more BW when they need it... but again its not perfected yet.

on fast moving scenes i see the blocking, but most of their hd channels do that.

well i don't think is the channel...usually artifacts/blocks w/e, don't they come from like plasmas/lcd's?, and i thought hd channels weren't suppose to be compressed?, but anyways i have no problems here besides sometimes on fast montion...wich i think its normal....

i have a 55 inch lcd. did not have that problem with fios. right now i am in an apartment and am thinking the signal coming into the building is not high enough. when i had howard tv on demand, that channel was always having problems with blocking.

the internet is at a snails pace compared to what i had before. even when i had dsl at 1.5 down, it seemed faster than the 5 down that i am getting right now.

I have not had the problem like this and I have access to HDNET from 3 other sources - none of them are showing anything like this - though most are HDLITE at the moment - so I am intending to get to the bottom of this.

Got the answer I suspected and it isn't pretty. Makes the decision for FIOS easier whenever they install the fiber.

Cramming way too much onto the QAMs.

Consider that HDNET and HDNET Movies run a constant 17.57Mbps video on each - add Audio and you are up to 18Mbps. Put 3 480i SD channels on the same QAM and you do the math on a 38.8Mbps QAM.

They are limiting the bandwidth on both HD Channels.

Cramming way too much onto the QAMs.

Consider that HDNET and HDNET Movies run a constant 17.57Mbps video on each - add Audio and you are up to 18Mbps. Put 3 480i SD channels on the same QAM and you do the math on a 38.8Mbps QAM.

They are limiting the bandwidth on both HD Channels.

Right but it shouldnt cause problems with the channel, They should have equipment that as the channel gets more active and requires larger bandwidth it automaticly moves stuff around to give it to it.. What area are you in ?

and and that high BW is only for HD channels, you can fit about 10 SD channels in the same qam without having problems, only with HD is their problems... You can get about 3-4 of (low activitiy) channels or 1 Highly active (like ESPNHD during a game)

Hmmmm.....I'm across the bay. The techs in Carillon could see it - but the fiber feed back across the bay to NOC - they claimed they couldnt see it - so now the two sides have to get their act together :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)