HDNET to become AXS TV; will be available in AT 120 and up

There are great bands and artists today that can play instruments and write their own stuff.
I have been posting in threads on this particular subject for about 10 years, because I really want to find the new good music of any genre - and constantly people post names of new groups, and I listen to them, and generally they are exactly like some previous band.

So, I really want there to be some good new music, but inevitably current groups get away with doing exactly the same as 30 years ago - because their audience was not born yet 30 years ago, so they have not heard the originals.

Imagine someone 30 years from now, publishes a set of childrens book about kids who go to a boarding school where they learn to do magic and become wizards, and you'll understand what I am referring to. ;)

If you want to know why this has happened to music, I once wrote an essay about it:

How Getting Exactly What You Want Is Killing Music - DYSKE.COM

I have been posting in threads on this particular subject for about 10 years, because I really want to find the new good music of any genre - and constantly people post names of new groups, and I listen to them, and generally they are exactly like some previous band.

So, I really want there to be some good new music, but inevitably current groups get away with doing exactly the same as 30 years ago - because their audience was not born yet 30 years ago, so they have not heard the originals.

Imagine someone 30 years from now, publishes a set of childrens book about kids who go to a boarding school where they learn to do magic and become wizards, and you'll understand what I am referring to. ;)

If you want to know why this has happened to music, I once wrote an essay about it:

I liked your blog BUT, i think you have got your "forbidden" sub-genre bass-ackwards. It's because of them we had they great "progressions" of the sixties and seventies. Just knit picking your phraseology.

Absolutely nailed it...

Over the Rhine is one of the better acts on the planet and can compete with anyone you can name from the past.

That's as good an example as any. A gal who is a good singer and has a fine voice, teamed with a good pianist. A good illustration that I am not saying that there are not excellent musicians out there, there certainly are.

But there is also nothing new there. It's just well performed downtempo country with a little jazz and rock throw in. Verse A, chorus, Verse B with the same melody (rinse, repeat). I noticed that their only youtube video with any significant number of hits was a cover (of a Leonard Cohen song), which is so typical of today - covers and remakes.

So, compare with this from 1971 - one woman who does both the piano and the vocals, and writes all the songs - there is enough material in this one song for perhaps an entire album of 2012 songs:

Joni Mitchell - River - YouTube

Funny, I was thinking about this a few days ago while my son was driving me to WalMart. I kept trying to figure out why so much of the "music" he listens to sounds like crap to me. Then it hit me. You don't hear any real instruments. No Hendrix guitar licks, no Buddy Rich drum playing, no Iran Anderson flute, no Elton John piano....Just a lot of noise. Now I like watching David Letterman and he tends to have a lot of new bands on. Most are more of the same, they suck, but every once in a while a really good group will show up. One that actually plays instruments you can hear and have great voices. This has open me up to some of the better music out there. It's still there, but a lot harder to fine, cause those real good groups have true talent.

Ghpr13:)

Hope this new rebranded channel does not go all reality!
Well, if they go 24/7 Live, sounds more like an E! / TMZ thing than a reality thing... though could be both. Regardless, unless they continue live concerts, I probably wouldn't watch it again, but I don't think Cuban will lose sleep over that.

Steven Wilson is one of the best sound engineers and music writers.
That's an odd example, as Porcupine Tree is specifically designed to be a re-tread of older progressive rock (it started out as the soundtrack to a fictional prog rock band's history, in the style of Spinal Tap's mockumentary). So, Wilson is one of the first people to write music specifically designed for people who are not musically adventurous, and only want to hear the style of music that they "like". (Of course, that is quite ironic for "progressive" music.)

That's an odd example, as Porcupine Tree is specifically designed to be a re-tread of older progressive rock (it started out as the soundtrack to a fictional prog rock band's history, in the style of Spinal Tap's mockumentary).
The first album was a joke and was never intended to be released.

So, Wilson is one of the first people to write music specifically designed for people who are not musically adventurous, and only want to hear the style of music that they "like". (Of course, that is quite ironic for "progressive" music.)
Seeing that the sound of Porcupine Tree has gone from loopy to space-prog (Sky Moves Sideways) to melody-prog (Stupid Dream) to light metal prog (In Abstenia) to concept album prog (Fear of the Blank Planet / The Incident) and his solo albums Insurgentes and Grace from Drowning go from industrial to jazz to prog. I'm not exactly certain what you mean by not being musically adventurous. This also ignores his projects with Blackfield, No-Man, Opeth...

There is an awesome Blu Ray by Porcupine Tree. Fantastic surround mix by Steven Wilson. One of my favorite concert Blu rays.
I got a blu-ray player when that was released. It is absolutely fantastic. The sound, set list, general feel of the release was just perfect.

Dan Rather commented a few days ago:

confirmed. July 2nd is the launch date according to the HDNET site and my daily programming schedule emails.

I don't know what is becoming of HDNET Movies. I assume it will stay that way rather than become AXS Movies or go away entirely.

The programming is exactly the same, some changes to the schedule but the same amount of live events as before. What happened to live 24/7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)