"HDR On" incorrectly with LG Display and Hopper 3

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Something in the HDMI signal is turning HDR on on my LG OLED, and I saw a guy at AVS having this issue too.

Dish needs to look into it.

Something in the HDMI signal is turning HDR on on my LG OLED, and I saw a guy at AVS having this issue too.

Dish needs to look into it.
It happens on my 55EF9500. I lose it every morning after the nightly download, but I bring it back with a reboot. Why do I bring it back? Because to my eye, it looks better, fake HDR or not.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
It was mentioned a few times on one of the H3 threads, a reason for me to continue on with my 722 until there is some linear and or live 4K programming. Amazon and Netflix 4K I can get thru the tv for now.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/hopper-3-terrible-hd-picture.357329/
I've had a Dish receiver since the original Dishplayer 7100. (joint venture with Microsoft's WebTV. sucker had an 8 gig HD) and to my eye, the H3 puts out a better pix than the previous 722 or HWS I had. Its probably some advancement with video processing due to the newer Broadcom chip. Subtle improvement across the board, I'd say.

I've had a Dish receiver since the original Dishplayer 7100. (joint venture with Microsoft's WebTV. sucker had an 8 gig HD) and to my eye, the H3 puts out a better pix than the previous 722 or HWS I had. Its probably some advancement with video processing due to the newer Broadcom chip. Subtle improvement across the board, I'd say.
I started with 3 dishplayer 7100s and have moved up with all the dvrs to the 722. I find it hard enough to find enough programming to justify keep paying Dish as it is. Some decent 4k would be reason enough for me to finally upgrade again. Been on the fence about upgrading for the past week, but I've barely turned Dish on the past 2 weeks.

I've put in several H1 and H2 for my sisters and family members. There is a slight improvement in output but not enough for me to upgrade yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Im kinda glad this goes away after the nightly reboot. Its kinda torch mode annoying...
Yeah....that was what alerted me to the HDR is on phenomenon. I thought the picture settings had been changed with the new receiver since it was so much brighter than my normal settings (and I had a HWS connected to the OLED previously). When I went to check, I was shocked to see that the Contrast and OLED Backlight had been grayed out. (I later found out that it froze certain gamma selections as well). I lowered the Brightness setting a little bit and that helped.

One thing I found out during my search for what the heck is happening is that LGs upcoming TVs are said to have a new processing engine that is supposed to 'upconvert' SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) to HDR. I am wondering if the EF9500 series got the same engine (or the software for it) and didn't bother to tell anyone.

So we may be beta testing both Hopper and LG. :confused:

Reactions: osu1991
Yeah, its odd for sure. Im wondering what is gonna happen shortly once I connect the new Denon X4200W. Waiting on tv to do a FW update and then I have to connect that device.

Yeah, its odd for sure. Im wondering what is gonna happen shortly once I connect the new Denon X4200W. Waiting on tv to do a FW update and then I have to connect that device.
I'm running mine through a new Onkyo (don't ask :mad:) with HDCP 2.2. The HDR tag goes through. (but the Onkyo doesn't upconvert the video, so I don't know what happens if it goes through a video processor)

I sent this thread to Mike H with Dirt. Maybe they can pass it along.

Still doing it with the Denon in the chain now. I even tried changing to 720p rez and it did not help.

Reactions: osu1991
I sent this thread to Mike H with Dirt. Maybe they can pass it along.

Still doing it with the Denon in the chain now. I even tried changing to 720p rez and it did not help.
Make sure you check it tomorrow morning, as I suspect, the "HDR is now on" will be gone and you can mess with the picture.

I don't know if I want them to "fix" this or not. As I say, I think the picture is much better when the "HDR is now on"....is on.

Hopefull
It also happens on my 55EF9500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you lose it after the first nightly update? I can live with that, even though after a reboot for say power loss it is gonna come back I guess. Makes me wonder what is so special about the nightly update...

Hopefull

Do you lose it after the first nightly update? I can live with that, even though after a reboot for say power loss it is gonna come back I guess. Makes me wonder what is so special about the nightly update...
I don't know...I'm thinking there is an HDMI handshake problem after the nightly DL.

Here's how I check and see if the HDR tag is active or not. I am connected through an Onkyo Receiver (with HDCP 2.2 which goes to pass-thru when turned off) and when I turn it on or off, the signal from the Hopper is briefly interrupted. The "HDR is now on/off" banner acts accordingly.

As I did this morning, I rebooted it. Here's what happens:

When the Hopper first reawakens with the 'Hopper 3 Staring Up' Logo, it is low resolution and NO HDR banner. It then goes dark again for a little while, but when it reappears with the same 'Hopper 3 Staring Up' page, it is crisp and the "HDR is now on" lights back up. I'm thinking the first screen is a "Hi, I'm Hopper, who are you and show me what you got" The second page is "Oh hello, LG 4K with HDR, let's get busy".

The it goes away over night. Rinse, repeat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)