HDTV and 4DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

richard22

Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
San Francisco Area
With the demise of VOOM, I'm considering getting HDTV programming from my BUD. I have a GI model 920 receiver and am thinking of getting a HDD200 HDTV decoder.

What is the experience of current users of this combination of hardware?

I would consider waiting out this option

A list that just recently came out showed that there was a high ratio of those who deactivated their 4DTV services to those who signed up. This industry could turn out to be just like Voom in the end. Also, there has been reports of C-band continuing to lose channels through their 4DTV services. Programming providers of C-band continue to fight this, but it still continues to occur. Another thing is that the 4DTV hardware is not up to date as it should be because if it was, then both the HDTV decoder and the 4DTV receiver would now be sold in integrated units. I've heard rumors that motorola has decided to abandon any newer 4DTV innovations due to the high amount of deactivations and therefore only sell the last equipment that they created. I may be wrong, but there are indicators out there that C-band 4DTV is slowly diminishing and going away and may be only available in the future as commercial use only to Digital broadcast satellite companies such as DirecTV and DishNetwork as well as to cable companies. If anything, just start out with a DVB box (Free to Air channels and News Feeds that are in the "clear") for now and see how things go for 4DTV.

richard22 said:
With the demise of VOOM, I'm considering getting HDTV programming from my BUD. I have a GI model 920 receiver and am thinking of getting a HDD200 HDTV decoder.

What is the experience of current users of this combination of hardware?

I bought my HDD 200 from www.rpssat.com last year they seem to have a better price on them now, I paid $440CND They have it cheaper now, I would grab one, you will capture the best looking HD that you can get. Since you have a 920 its well worth grabbing a HDD I love my HD on the BUD its the best you can get for picture quality :) and price for programming.

If you do not have c/ku it is a great addition to the BUD, I would also recommend a DVB unit, for free channels.

lilyarbie said:
A list that just recently came out showed that there was a high ratio of those who deactivated their 4DTV services to those who signed up. This industry could turn out to be just like Voom in the end. Also, there has been reports of C-band continuing to lose channels through their 4DTV services. Programming providers of C-band continue to fight this, but it still continues to occur. Another thing is that the 4DTV hardware is not up to date as it should be because if it was, then both the HDTV decoder and the 4DTV receiver would now be sold in integrated units. I've heard rumors that motorola has decided to abandon any newer 4DTV innovations due to the high amount of deactivations and therefore only sell the last equipment that they created. I may be wrong, but there are indicators out there that C-band 4DTV is slowly diminishing and going away and may be only available in the future as commercial use only to Digital broadcast satellite companies such as DirecTV and DishNetwork as well as to cable companies. If anything, just start out with a DVB box (Free to Air channels and News Feeds that are in the "clear") for now and see how things go for 4DTV.

Those deactivating are 99% analog only users, and most probably YSP customers rather than NPS or SRL, YSP is owned by Echostar, and tries hard to convert big dishers to dish network offering them free programming and install, and they lie about picture quality and channel availability. Big dish is still the best bang for the buck, and king in picture and sound on both SD/HD.

If the hardware was not so expensive for 4DTV then there would probably be more buy the product and service. When Dish and DirecTv start getting a lot of the HD channels that will probably be the end of any chance of 4DTV/C/Ku-Band's chances unless their prices are cheaper and they get more available channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)