HDTV and the DVR questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wam37

Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
First off what is the best resolution to view an HDTV broadcast in? I am a bit bummed to see the system does not autoadjust resolution or at least tell me what resolution the signal was made at to get the best viewing conditions (or am I missing something)? I mean, how do I know if the show is 480p, 720p or 1080i?

That said is 720p considered better than 1080i? I supposed for a lot of action in the screen 720p is better and if the image is mostly static 1080i is superior but I'll defer to those here who know more.

Also, if I set my tuner to, say, 720p, will it then effectively record everything at 720p even if it is a regular 480i show? Does the system up-convert everything then record it or does it record the signal then up-convert on the output? At least, I am assuming if it is set to 720p the output signal is 720p no matter what it was coming in off of the satellite.

Feel free to disabuse me of any misconceptions.

Thanks.

Currently there is no "native passthru" on the HD Tivo. It has been promised but not delivered so I would not look for it anytime soon. Most programming is 480i as you may expect. Networks usually advertise if a show is in HDTV. On the Tivo by pressing the up arrow you can cycle though the resolutions. See which looks the best. Most people let the TV or the Tivo process upconversion to 1080i

720 is better than 1080 for live action ... so they say. My TV does not do 720p so I would not know.

Signals are recorded "as is," up or down conversion is left to the user. The NDS box that will be coming should not be this way. I hope this helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)