HDTV antenna question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

crimpshrine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
NC
I was looking at getting this HDTV antenna to hook up to my Dish receiver but was wondering how good it worked? I really want an indoor HD antenna and my locals are within 15-20 miles from me. I noticed in the info section of this, it says it picks up UHF channels (2-13) and VHF channels (14-69). I'm a newbie at this stuff but noticed some of my locals like channel 9.1 CBS (for enstense) is broadcast VHF and Fox 14.1 is broadcast UHF. Does this mean I won't be able to pick up these channels?? Thanks for the reviews of this antenna and the help.

Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics

Are your stations all in the sames direction from you? I personally would look at getting something like a DB4 and putting it in your attic if you have one. I fear twenty miles might be a stretch for an indoor, especially the Terk. Cross that one off your list. Zenith has better reputation. I assume you have check your situation on AntennaWeb ?
Also, check here:HD Over the Air (OTA) - SatelliteGuys.US

Antenna Comparisons

Go to this link for comparisons of antennas:

Comparing some commercially available antennas

When you check AntennaWeb, click on Show Digital Only to limit the results. If any of them broadcast from channels below 14, you may need a UHF/VHF combo, or get a good UHF and add a small High VHF antenna to it. Indoor antennas are probably not going to do it at 20 miles, but something like a DB4 in a window or attic might do the job.
BTW, at Antennaweb.org, clicking on the color bars on the left side will tell you the type of antenna required for each station. My guess is that you need a medium range directional antenna.

Thanks for the tips guys. The only problem putting the antenna in the attic is my attic is no where near my living room, so I would have to run a long chord somehow and kind of want to avoid that.

I said my locals are about 20 miles away but when I look at AntennaWeb, it says my NBC, CBS & Ion is 15 miles or less and all point in the same direction. Would the indoor still work? These indoor antennas say they pickup up to 45 miles away?? I'm assuming this is a lie? The ABC is about 32 miles away and I'm counting that one out. I don't have anything I really watch on ABC anyway. Once again thanks for the help guys!

I don't have anything I really watch on ABC anyway. Once again thanks for the help guys!

What? No Boston Legal? No Dirty, Sexy Money? You poor soul!:)

Seriously, you never know when a new show or special you might want to see might be on ABC. How far is your attic from your TV room? A amplifier would help if too long. I would really consider this option.

It's on the other side of the house unfortunaly. Plus it's not a very big attic. I think it was made just so someone could get up there to run whatever wires they needed to run when they built the house. I've only been up there a couple of times and both times I didn't think I was going to be able to get out..:eek:

Thanks for the advice though. Dish doesn't cover my locals in HD and I was hoping I was within range for an indoor antenna. But if I was going to try one of these, you think the Zenith would be the better one? I don't want to throw money away if it won't work at all, so thanks for the tips on this...

no need for an attic antenna...get a RCA amplified rabbit ears at Best Buy for around 35 bucks, and that should do it; I live 35 miles from chicago towers and get almost a 100 signal with all my local channels..plus, if it doesnt work, you can always return it..

Be aware that in Feb of "09", or before, some stations will move their current UHF digital signal down to what was their VHF analog location.

As an example if you are receiving a signal for digital channel 8.1 in Portland, Oregon the UHF channel is 46. When Feb. "09" rolls around they will shut down the digital UHF transmitter and switch the VHF transmitter from analog to digital.

To make a long story longer, if you only have a UHF antenna now you will need to get a VHF/UHF antenna for the switchover in "09".

As a side note when the stations do drop down to VHF channels that are difficult for you to receive now may clear up. (VHF travels much further than UHF.)

Be aware that in Feb of "09", or before, some stations will move their current UHF digital signal down to what was their VHF analog location.

As an example if you are receiving a signal for digital channel 8.1 in Portland, Oregon the UHF channel is 46. When Feb. "09" rolls around they will shut down the digital UHF transmitter and switch the VHF transmitter from analog to digital.

To make a long story longer, if you only have a UHF antenna now you will need to get a VHF/UHF antenna for the switchover in "09".

As a side note when the stations do drop down to VHF channels that are difficult for you to receive now may clear up. (VHF travels much further than UHF.)
You can simply add a high-VHF antenna to your mast. I think the low (2-6) channels are going away. The high-VHF antennas are fairly small compared to the old UHF/VHF monsters.

You can simply add a high-VHF antenna to your mast. I think the low (2-6) channels are going away. The high-VHF antennas are fairly small compared to the old UHF/VHF monsters.

Actually the 700mhz band goes away. That is the upper UHF band, channels 52-69. This frequency is being sold to the highest bidder. Most likely a cell phone company.

Cell companys will not use a frequency that low. The old non digital cell freqency was in the 900mhz band and it will be gone soon if not allready.

At one point I thought there was a plan to get rid of channels 2 through 6. What's going to happen to a digital channel when the skip comes in? Last sunspot cycle I got Florida analog stations in Pennsylvania with rabbit ears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts