HDTV DVD Player help

rkumar

Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I currently have one of those Samsung HD-Up Conversion DVD Players with a DVI-D output. Unfortunately, I can only utilize the HD out by using the DVI output. I have an old pioneer projection HDTV with only a HD component input. I was wondering if you guys know of anyway to convert the DVI-D signal to component so I can get my HD.

Thanks

Check out the DVD Player forum at AVS Forums. Several of the Sammy up-converting DVD players have a "hack" that allows up-converting via component video cables. If yours isn't one that can be hacked, like my HD931, then you are stuck. The Sammy DVI connection is HDCP coded. If it doesn't see an HDCP coded device on the receiving end, it won't transmit the video signal. In that case, use the component outputs from the Sammy to your TV and hope your TV has a good scaler. Otherwise, you've spent money on an up-converting DVD player that you can't use.

Neutron said:
...you can get an adapter that will go from DVI-D to Component.

http://www.trianglecables.com/dvi-hdtv200.html

There's an example of one.
Unfortunately those adapters won't help. They are not for DVI-D (used in TV equipment), but for DVI-I, used in some computer video cards. The big difference between those two interfaces is that DVI-I in addition to digital signal also delivers analog signal (RGB), which can be easily separated by those inexpensive DVI-I to RGB adapters. If you have a DVI-D output on a DVD player, then you don't have an RGB component there at all. So, it can't be easily separated. Conversion of digital signal to analog signal would require a much more expensive equipment - really not worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts