HDTV FTA Receiver??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Safari

Original poster
May 20, 2004
I want to buy an FTA receiver but would prefer that it have HD capabilities.

Is anyone making such a receiver? If so, what manufacture?...model number?

Thank you.

Safari

Questions about that ATSC HDTV Receiver

PSB said:
Maybe this is what you need please keep us up to date as we would be VERY interested in the system setup if you go ahead and get one, good luck.

it912

http://www.integra.co.kr/integra/read.cgi?board=product_hdtv&y_number=1&nnew=2

Remember also most FTA HD is on C band!

I know someone who just got HD. He says it did not come with a tuner, so for now the only thing he can use it for (in HiDef) is playing DVD's. I'm thinking maybe one of these would be ideal for him, since he has a large dish and already has a Pansat 2500a. But before I suggest such a thing, I'd like to clarify a few things in my mind, so my questions are as follows.

- What FTA HD is available on C band and Ku band (in North America) at present?

- It looks like you can use this receiver to pick up both OTA HD signals AND FTA HD satellite signals. Is that true or am I misreading it?

- What do these units cost?

- Where can you get them (please don't say you have to mail order them from Seoul, Korea! :eek: )?

- Do you know of anyone that actually has one of these puppies or are we all waiting for someone else to be the first guinea pig?

- Someone else in this thread mentioned using a card in a PC. I assume that people are doing this already, are there any step-by-step instructions for doing this to be found anywhere? Can you, for example, use the computer to receive the HD FTA signal, and in real time send it to the HD monitor? Can that same computer also function as a PVR in case you want to record a program for later viewing? Can all of this be done without a PhD in computer science, using a computer that runs only plain vanilla Windows XP or 2000 as the OS? Links to web pages that explain all this in simple terms would be most helpful.

Answers to ANY of the above questions would be appreciated. I don't necessarily expect anyone to answer all of them!

Hehe another "thumbs down" mistaken for a question mark... look closer at the icon, anik :) unless you really are disapproving of FTA HD reception while at the same time asking many questions about it ;)

Those are all excellent questions, unfortunately I can't really answer any but maybe the last one about the PC cards. All that can in fact be done and I believe even in Windows XP and 2000. I just don't know of any step-by-step instructions or explanation pages at the moment... Also, I have heard that to process HD you'll need a fairly fast computer (maybe 2+ GHz?).

TuxCoder said:
Hehe another "thumbs down" mistaken for a question mark... look closer at the icon, anik :) unless you really are disapproving of FTA HD reception while at the same time asking many questions about it ;)

Those are all excellent questions, unfortunately I can't really answer any but maybe the last one about the PC cards. All that can in fact be done and I believe even in Windows XP and 2000. I just don't know of any step-by-step instructions or explanation pages at the moment... Also, I have heard that to process HD you'll need a fairly fast computer (maybe 2+ GHz?).

Okay, TuxCoder, I changed the icon just for you. :D Anyway I would have thought that people in this forum would have had HD reception nailed down to something of a science by now, but I guess not. I would have at least thought that one of the dealers that frequent this board would have tried to obtain one of those units to see if it was worth reselling. Unless, of course, it' a "vaporware" product, or the manufacturer is a pain to deal with or has a bad reputation or something like that.

anik said:
- What FTA HD is available on C band and Ku band (in North America) at present?

The networks: ABC, CBS, UPN, WB and PBS. There are also many sports backhauls.

- It looks like you can use this receiver to pick up both OTA HD signals AND FTA HD satellite signals. Is that true or am I misreading it?
You are corrrect.

- What do these units cost?

- Where can you get them (please don't say you have to mail order them from Seoul, Korea! :eek: )?

- Do you know of anyone that actually has one of these puppies or are we all waiting for someone else to be the first guinea pig?
Follow the links in the previous message.

mkm4 said:
You can get one here. I believe he is the only dealer in the US for it

The dvb/mpeg2 group at SatForums has a section for users of it.
Thanks for the info. The info on that Yahoo store page is a little confusing - it's some sort of Combo deal and I'm not sure what you get. However, once I scrolled down to the price I realized this receiver would be way too expensive for me, especially because I strongly suspect that there is only one OTA HD station I'd be able to get right now (I'm in a fringe area between two markets, and don't get what you'd call great reception on the analog VHF signals, and the HDTV signals are all on channels that for one reason or another would not come in well here - either UHF, on the same channel as another analog station in the adjacent market(!), or something else).

The guy I originally wrote about (that already has the HD set) lives near me and would doubtless have the same problem with OTA reception, and while I think he might be interested in something like this someday, right now he's got his eye on the Dish Network HD receiver with built in PVR (he's a Dish subscriber, in addition to having the large dish), but he's holding off on it hoping the price will drop soon. So I doubt he'd want to drop $649 for this unit when for about $200-$300 more he could get the unit he really wants. But I think he does have a spare computer sitting around so if there were some clear, easy to follow instructions somewhere on how to install one of those cards and then pipe the output to his HD receiver, that might interest him.

I don't have cable or satellite but I do have a big dish and finally figured how how to make it receive Ku (on most of the birds I can see, anyway) and it has made a big difference - now I can actually find something I want to watch most nights. But I have this fear that just about the time I get my system all figured out, all the good feeds will go HDTV - just like when I originally got my big dish, when I finally got it all set up and properly adjusted to track the arc was about the time all the good feeds started going digital. Whatever is the opposite of an "early adopter" seems to be what I am! :)

anik said:
But I think he does have a spare computer sitting around so if there were some clear, easy to follow instructions somewhere on how to install one of those cards and then pipe the output to his HD receiver, that might interest him.

There are two ways you can get the signal to the TV. Either connect the pc directly to the tv or use a Roku HD1000 connected to a home network.
Recording the stream is easy. I use TSReader and the Twinhan DST-1020 dvb pci card.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts