HDTV Glare Screen

djjsin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Has anyone had any experience with Glare Filters for CRT HDTVs? I got a Mitsubishi WS-55511 55 inch wide screen), and i'm starting to regret not buying the more expensive diamond plus screen. At the time i couldn't justify the extra charge, but now that i've moved, i got a huge problem with glare. I've been looking around and I've found a company that seems to replace the protective plastic screen with a anti-glare screen, so you don't even really notice you have one (no bulk sticking out). What i'm wondering is do these filters really work to lower glare. It costs about $279, and right now seems like its my only option, since mitsubishi doesn't have any form of upgrade to a anti glare screen.

Most HDTV tweakers remove the glare screen but it's not a good idea if you have kids around.

I have one, I think its built on to the set. Thats why I bought it. I have a small house and no seperate room for the TV where I could remove all the light from hitting it. I remember seeing every darn light and reflection in the Sears store in every set except this one. lol. the glare screen dull the picture just a hint but pick your poison. After awhile youll get tired of sitting in the dark without one.

check out mightyshield.com, for about $280 they have a really good anti-glare protective screen. I don't know about the one that you asked about, but I wanted to give you another option.

funny you said that, cause the one i asked about would actually be through mightyshield.com They are the only people i could find that make glare filters for Large tv's

I'm glad you have a positive opinion on the company.

Remember any glare screen also filters out the color and brillance of the picture. I agree wth DarrellP. Unless you have wild parties or have kids running around just take the glare screen off. There is an entire procedure described in the Tweaks section on The Spot Forum.

so taking the Diamond Shield off will fix my glare issues?

jason

So I removed the Diamond Shield on my TV, man i gotta say this has fixed my glare problems. I can no longer see any glare, even when all the windows in my home are open. This kicks ass! I can see during the day!

I put up with the glare for 2 years on my Mits 55857 before I finally gave up and popped the glare screen our, what a difference it made. Unless you have kids or a big dog it's something I recommend doing.

Look out, without that screen

Mitsubishi uses a lenticular type of screen (under the glare/protective cover). This screen can be damaged or even ruined completely if you touch it with anything other than a lint free cloth made for that type of screen. Even then, I would be careful. I used to sell big screens, home theater, etc. here in Texas. Why do you think most electronic stores keep lights low in the Big Screen room?! ;)

Monster makes a cloth/spray cleaner kit for the glare screen, but I would probably go to a camera store for a lens cloth before I used any old diapers or tee shirts laying around the house!

Removing the glare shield does help immensely but having a dog press its nose against the screen or a child putting a greasy or wet hand would ruin that area of your screen.

And yes, part of what you pay for in a Diamond (from Mits) was the more expensive shield which has less glare than their other models. You have a 511 however which is a good model, especially with the ATSC tuner.

Good luck, just be careful.
KJQ

djjsin said:
So I removed the Diamond Shield on my TV, man i gotta say this has fixed my glare problems. I can no longer see any glare, even when all the windows in my home are open. This kicks ass! I can see during the day!
isnt the diamond shield an anti glare device? how can removing an anti-glare screen eliminate glare?

vurbano said:
isnt the diamond shield an anti glare device? how can removing an anti-glare screen eliminate glare?
The Diamond Shield scatters incoming light to reduce glare on the Diamond series...he has the Platinum series which has a regular plastic protective shield.

wasch_24 said:
The Diamond Shield scatters incoming light to reduce glare on the Diamond series...he has the Platinum series which has a regular plastic protective shield.
ahhhhhhh, ok makes sense now. But he said he had a diamond shield several times though? I guess the diamond sheild on his TV is just plastic.

actually, according to the instructions, it refer's to the plastic screen as a Diamond Shield (even though its a platinum series).

Also when you look at the Mitsubishi products, the only product that has the anti glare feature is the Diamond Plus. The diamond doesn't even have it.

jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)