HDTV NON-PVR MPEG2 STB - Agreement on Best?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I openly admit I know more about E* than D* STBs - and of course there are many more choices with D*.

Many subscribers will have likes and dislikes about their boxes and many threads about each, but is there any agreement among those that have used multiple boxes which is (are) the best NON-PVR/TIVO HDTV models out there today?

I have a Sony set, so the Sony 200 and 300 units have some appeal because of the same remote - though I seem to recall the 200 had issues when it came out. Supposedly the 300 is the same as the LG and Hughes unit, but the price is 4x-5x of those on eBay.

Any input of those that have experience with multiple boxes would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm in the market for one right now myself. What were the supposed issues with the Sony 200? I've seen some posters claim they like it better than the 300, although I don't recall why.

You apparently are interested in used boxes, none of the models mentioned have been produced in over a year. I would suggest you contact the seller and find out why the unit is available. Then take a big grain of salt and guess if it is a good buy or a Las Vegas gamble ( the odds are in the houses favor). The H-10 is the only new in production Directv HDTV receiver that is not a DVR.

Yes, I want a used HDTV box until everything shakes out with MPEG4.

I do not care about features like Caller ID, Program Guides or the like. I just would like to know is there any type of agreement on preferably a DVI output HD STB that has the best picture quality - again, features not the question - and is relatively trouble free.

I seem to remember that there was an issue with the Sony 200 when it came out that a firmware upgrade was supposed to help but don't remember the outcome. The 300 seemed to come out quickly after that. Others say the 200 is better than the 300.

Thus, I am looking for someone who can give some simple, good input and guidance that has looked at multiple HD STBs over the years (which I admit I haven't) until the whole MPEG4 situation is hashed out.

And you really think a seller would say his STB wasn't the best? :D

I had a sony 300 that i bought open box... the thing shorted out within 2 weeks, so I'm not a big fan of used recievers. I went back and picked up a new samsung 360 before those were gone too. Haven't had any real probs w/ it... Occasionally have to give it a re-boot, but that's about it.
I did experience some audio drop outs, but I'm pretty much convinced that is because of the optical cable input on my audio reciever, and not because of the Samsung unit.

Bottom line is that if you're going used... buyer beware.

Status
Please reply by conversation.