HDTV + Progressive Scan DVD Player Newb Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin228

Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
I have been researching how to get the best DVD picture out of my HDTV. I have a RP HDTV (Toshiba 61hx70) and a Sony Progressive scan DVD player ( dvp-ns425p). My xbox is running HD and I have a box from the cable company that converts to HD signal. Do I have to have a HD converter to view DVDs in 480p? When I turn on or off the progressive scan it looks no different to me. I guess maybe my TV doesn't support 480p. Man this is confusing. I have everything I want in HD but DVDs. Can anyone advise me? I promise I will pass on the info to other people.

How is the DVD video hooked to the TV? Should be component (3 cables Y Pr Pb) plus the audio cables. You can't use the s-video or composite (single cable) connection for video...those are 480i. From what I found online, that TV only has 2 HDTV inputs and you are using both...

Just FYI:

480p is not HD, your TV does do 480P, but you did the best test in the world: If your own eyes couldn't tell, then your are fine.

I just switch between HD Cable and my DVD player, so yes it is hooked up using component cables. So the picture I have is as good as it's gonna get? I think HD cable looks better, weird. Do you think if I watched DVDs on my Xbox they might look better and what about running the dvd through a HD converter? Is there anyway to get a 1080i hd picture without a DVI-D interface?

Thank you for the help. My picture does look good, but I want the best.

Well of course your HD Cable is going to look better. The cable is HD and the DVD is only SD. If you plug in your DVD player to composite or s-video and compare that to the component you currently have hooked up, you'll notice the difference.

According to Microsoft the X-box HD pack does not upconvert DVDs over it, so the picture won't be any better, but of course you could mod the xbox to get it to do it.

With your kind of TV the upscalling DVD players will not get you a better picture, so don't waste money on those.

You can't get a 1080i HD picture from your DVDs because as others said they are only 480, so it just wont happen.

When I turn on or off the progressive scan it looks no different to me. I guess maybe my TV doesn't support 480p.
Yes your TV does, But your Tv will aslo convert a 480i signal to 480p(540p) when the signal comes in through the Colorstream ( component) inputs.

What would help your TV is some tweaking. Have you used a set up disk yet? Have you done any service level convergence work?

What would help your TV is some tweaking. Have you used a set up disk yet? Have you done any service level convergence work?[/QUOTE]

No I haven't. Any recomendations?

collin228 said:
What would help your TV is some tweaking. Have you used a set up disk yet? Have you done any service level convergence work?

No I haven't. Any recomendations?[/QUOTE]
http://www.ovationsw.com/avia.html
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=1&article_id=200&page_number=1
http://www.videoessentials.com/
I have all three. I recomend Sound&Vision as the easiest to use, DVE as the most up to date and Avia for the serious tweaker or ISF tech wannabe.

collin228 said:
How did you find out about my TV? I wanted to know if it will run 720p.
I did a search for your model on google. I did know it was an older model compared to mine- 50H81, Mine was Mnf in 2001. Check your PM

Want a DVD player that looks not good, but outstanding on an HDTV-get an HD-Upconverting player, such as the Zenith DVB-318. It will up-convert any DVD to 720p or 1080i thru BOTH component and DVI. Depending on your TV and true HD feed, a DVD may look just about as good as an HD broadcast. (also depends on DVD)

Wow I learned something new today!

I did not know DVDs does not do high-definition 1080i or even half of that!

Wow so the technology focused on the Sounds 1st then the display huh?

So what is better? Optical or Digital Coiax?

A guy in Sears on time told me Coiax because it has less transforming to do etc.
I cannot rememeber.

Can anyone explain it to me??

Hey talrudeboy, I know you from over there in FTAland. :)
talrudeboy said:
A guy in Sears on time told me Coiax because it has less transforming to do etc.
That's an interesting thought, true to some extent...

But it has nothing to do with the quality of the final sound. The datastream is the same on the A/V receiver side's circuitry whether a copper or laser interface was used.

I personally keep to all optical when possible, simply for more electrical isolation in the event of an electrical mishap somewhere. And it's :cool:er.

talrudeboy said:
I did not know DVDs does not do high-definition 1080i or even half of that!

Wow so the technology focused on the Sounds 1st then the display huh?

So what is better? Optical or Digital Coiax?

I cannot rememeber.

Can anyone explain it to me??
Regular DVD out a progressive scan DVD player's component video outputs is only 480p. Out of a regular non-progressive scan player it is even less as only 480i (which is analog). Get an up-converting player and you will be happy! 1080i or 720p is alot better then 480i/p!

mini1 said:
Want a DVD player that looks not good, but outstanding on an HDTV-get an HD-Upconverting player, such as the Zenith DVB-318. It will up-convert any DVD to 720p or 1080i thru BOTH component and DVI. Depending on your TV and true HD feed, a DVD may look just about as good as an HD broadcast. (also depends on DVD)
Mini1
Having read some of your posts about this player. It sounds like a great piece. What made you pick this one over others. From your recomendation I have thought about this model as my next purchase. Is there any real difference between the LG and the Zenith version? Do you know how hard it is to do the firmware upgrade. My current TV is component only.
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Be careful on the Zenith. Great player, but the latest batch DOES NOT upconvert macrovision protected DVD's (a fair amount of the market) over component. I have seen the firmware to downgrade (and reenable the component upconversion) posted, but I don't have the url on hand. Caveat emptor, but if you do your homework, the 318 should suit your needs.

As for the LG - no component upconversion, so no dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts