HDTV Setup settings on 622...

sno543

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
Modesto, Ca
Hi everybody. Got the 622 installed today. I am watching a show that is on the DVR and it looks like the picture is cut off on the sides. I am missing half of the cbs logo. Under the menu settings, under system setup, there is a hdtv setup setting, #8.

Before the installer left, he set it to 1080i and 16x9. Is this correct? Is there any other settings I should know about?

I have it hooked to the tv via a hdmi cable. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

My TV is native 720p, but have the receiver on 1080i, because if set on 720p the SD picture just looks PATHETIC! Both sides of the picture are missing pieces, looking like the ends were unequally burned off. It's not really a pillar box picture, it just looks awful.

Some will tell you to set the Dish Box to whatever resolution your HDTV has. Some say set Dish Box at 1080i and let your HDTV do the scaling, for example if you have a DLP or LCD with native resolution of 720p, set the Dish Box to 1080i. The third group says to set the Dish Box to whatever the station is sending, that is, either 1080i or 720p. For those who like to tinker with the Dish boxes 1080i or 720p setting, here is the last info I had: ABC, CBS, HDNet, DiscoveryHD broadcast in 1080i. ABC and ESPN (2) in 720p. Some guru here may have a source list of all the broadcast resolutions. I play around with 622 set on either 1080i or 720p on my 720p DLP set and have come to no firm conclusions. Although, the picture quality of all the Dallas HD LILs, even when an SD program is being broadcast, seem superior to what it is if I switch over to the same station on my SD LILs. I get only one OTA station, so have no real way to compare all networks, HD, SD, OTA. The Sammy DLP seems to do a great job of scaling 1080i to 720p.

I have a 34" Toshiba CRT HDTV that is supposed to handle a 1080i signal. For whatever reason, though, when I have my 622 set to output 1080i I have a lot of problems with ghosting and shadows in HD programming. However, the cool thing is that the set automatically converts 720p signals to 1080i, so I switched the 622 output to 720p and voila! no more image quality issues. I now have a gorgeous picture on all HD channels. So, it's really a matter of your equipment capabilities and what looks best to you. Good luck!