HDTV the Last Two Years

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
My take:

Started out with DISH and I am now with VOOM.

STILL not much good HD content and/or channels out there. Granted there's a bunch of movie channels but they show the same 2nd rate films over and over. In fact, I always cancel my HBO after Larry David and the Sopranos end each season! And who watches Moog and such? Have zero network HD. Never watch TNT - way too many commercials. I watched DISCHD for a couple of months, now it's all the same stuff from the last two years.

Not much sports in HD. ESPN is the horrible 720 and has only one or two baseball games a week. At this point, things have not progressed like I thought they would. Take away all the fluff HD on Voom and they have about the same as the others - about 4 or 5 channels. VOOM HD Cinema is rather lame - it's always 3rd rate movies that cater to the retarded crowd.

It's no wonder TV in general is in big trouble - the internet is taking many viewers away, including me. I watch my nice Toshiba HD widescreen maybe once or twice a day. The internet is fresh, current, and has endless possibilities. If I had known back 2 years ago what I know today, I never would've bought an HD television. I would've waited until there's way more product.

I completely disagree on your take on HDTV. There definately is more going on that 1 or 2 baseball games in HD, NFL and College Seasons are coming up. TNT's the GRID has made it worth having that channel for the whole year. Voom's Cinema10 library is growing, some people really dig old movies. Monsters is great although they've been in a semi-slump at times, Rave, Rush, Worldsport are good channels. All the premium's do not show 2nd rate movies, actually all offer top Hollywood titles, that while they've already hit DVD shelves, they are in 1080i, which is not readily available.

With the advent of cheaper home theatres, I dropped HBO and went to buying DVDs. NOw I've stopped buying DVDs (until HD-DVD) for favor of HD Premium channels. The only thing I want is a PVR and that the premium HD channels and Cinema 10 rotate their content more without fear of missing out on them.

Boondockbill said:
My take:ESPN is the horrible 720
ESPN-HD on Voom is not 720p. Oh sure, ESPN-HD is produced in 720p. But Voom currently has it mangled into 1080i. No telling what loss occurs in the process. This is why ESPN looks like crap on Voom. Voom has removed the aspect of 720p that makes it superior to 1080i for sports viewing: it's progressive nature. Rest assured the problem will be solved. At this very moment, the same geniuses working on the the PG are also working on this problem. I like ESPN-HD, and think it's one of the good things with HD. Even better when football season begins.

If you like sports, then this fall will be a very nice HD-time. Fox will finally be in HD. That means baseball and football in HD. Also, part of the problem might just be the VERY slow summer programming coming our way.

I do agree with you about alternate forms of entertainment. But for me, all require my HDTV. I hooked up my PC to my TV. I spend far more time on the internet and playing video games on my TV than I do actually watching TV.

Summer is always slow for TV programming in general, and the fact this has and is one of the best summer viewing I have given TV in probably my life, is a testament to HDTV.

It seems that every year new shows come out in HDTV and this year is no different.

I disagree...

I am loving my HDTV and Voom and would KILL if I lost it...
(I can't even watch SD anymore without wanting to puke...) ;)

Things I loved in HD this year:
Superbowl
The Masters :eek:
The Free Tyson Fight (Thanks Voom!)

These are the shows that I currently watch and enjoy in HD:
Six Feet Under
The Grid
The Tonight Show
The Days
CSI
CSI Miami :eek:
Still Standing
Yes Dear
Sportscenter
Monday, Weds, Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN

Soon:
CSI New York
CBS 3:30 SEC Game of the Week (Go Vols!) :eek:
ESPN Thursday Night College Football
ESPN Saturday (HD) Triple Header :eek: :shocked
ABC Monday Night Football :D
ESPN Sunday Night Football :cool:
3 games a week- CBS/FOX NFL :yes
(Hoping) Curb Your Enthusiasm will be in HD :confused:

MLB Playoffs/World Series
US OPEN Tennis

squicken said:
ESPN-HD on Voom is not 720p. Oh sure, ESPN-HD is produced in 720p. But Voom currently has it mangled into 1080i. No telling what loss occurs in the process. This is why ESPN looks like crap on Voom. Voom has removed the aspect of 720p that makes it superior to 1080i for sports viewing: it's progressive nature. Rest assured the problem will be solved. At this very moment, the same geniuses working on the the PG are also working on this problem. I like ESPN-HD, and think it's one of the good things with HD. Even better when football season begins.

If you like sports, then this fall will be a very nice HD-time. Fox will finally be in HD. That means baseball and football in HD. Also, part of the problem might just be the VERY slow summer programming coming our way.

I do agree with you about alternate forms of entertainment. But for me, all require my HDTV. I hooked up my PC to my TV. I spend far more time on the internet and playing video games on my TV than I do actually watching TV.

You connect via DVI from Vid card?

my hdtv does not support 720P, yet I do find that ESPN looks just fine to me

rkr0923 said:
noticed he loves voom, but 90% of the HD he watches isn't on voom

I assume you're talking about me?

Look, without Voom I wouldn't be watching these things.
Voom is the best VALUE for HD programming PERIOD. :rolleyes:
I have no contract, I paid nothing for the dish install, the OTA antenna was free and free installation, and the monthly fees/lease is cheap.

Notice, that his post was about HD programming in general not Voom... :mad:

Read the post first.

Moderator edit

(Sorry About That.... Thanks for editing) ;)

squicken said:

I know Im being negative again, but these same people are designing the PVR. I can see it now, we finally get it but find a bug where it doesnt actually record anything even though it say's it is. Recording feature will be fixed in upcomming update of firmware.. lol

Madtown HD Junkie said:
You connect via DVI from Vid card?
Nope. I don't have a HTPC. I just use S-video to surf web, spreadsheet, and word process.

I've had HD for 3 1/2 years and it is light years ahead of where it was back then. There is nothing wrong with 720p, the Seahawks/Green Bay game last night was like having a sideline seat.

Yeah! You tell 'em Darrell, and last nights Three Stooges in HD felt like well... I was surrounded by nitwits?

Dvlos said:
Yeah! You tell 'em Darrell, and last nights Three Stooges in HD felt like well... I was surrounded by nitwits?
Hmmm! Kind of like around here sometimes, eh? :p Hey! I resemble that remark. :D

Boondockbill,

I totally agree with you 100%. In fact I am really sorry that I bought an HDTV. After this latest fiasco called Voom I have seriously thought about trying to sell my HDTV and buy a nice 36" SDTV until HDTV grows up. I have even thought of putting my HDTV in the garage for a few years and getting an SDTV in the meantime and going back to D or E. The V6.20 software made me come really close to doing this today. When I had D and my old SDTV I actually enjoyed watching TV. I didn't have any PQ problems and I never spent hours in the forums bitching and looking for fixes. :no

Watch Olympics in HD then SD find how ridiculous post is

Orlando just watch women's gymnastics of voom HD NBC digital, widescreen 1080 i , then switch to grainy Olympics coverage in SD and you will see what HD is all about. You can see the resolution is such detail including the sweat on their faces and the wide panorama of the stadium. I never liked watching the Olympics in previous years, this year i find myself watching all the sports just because it is the HD, IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL, even the NBC spot around Greece, i never cease to see the beauty of it. To those that dont' want their HD set, send it to me so I can have the beauty of HD in every bedroom in Santa MOnica California, i will gladly send you my adress and fedex number.. I even watched the democratic convention just cause it was in HD

HD Rocks and is getting better every day

calikarim said:
Orlando just watch women's gymnastics of voom HD NBC digital, widescreen 1080 i , then switch to grainy Olympics coverage in SD and you will see what HD is all about. You can see the resolution is such detail including the sweat on their faces and the wide panorama of the stadium. I never liked watching the Olympics in previous years, this year i find myself watching all the sports just because it is the HD, IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL, even the NBC spot around Greece, i never cease to see the beauty of it. To those that dont' want their HD set, send it to me so I can have the beauty of HD in every bedroom in Santa MOnica California, i will gladly send you my adress and fedex number.. I even watched the democratic convention just cause it was in HD

HD Rocks and is getting better every day

Hey, I wasn't doggin' it... I was defending it! ;)

I do like the still shots of the olympics in HD, but NBC is doing a crappy job when it comes to the action shots...

Everytime a diver would start their dive they were blurred and pixelated... :no

What's up with that? :(

ram1220 said:
Boondockbill,

I totally agree with you 100%. In fact I am really sorry that I bought an HDTV. After this latest fiasco called Voom I have seriously thought about trying to sell my HDTV and buy a nice 36" SDTV until HDTV grows up. I have even thought of putting my HDTV in the garage for a few years and getting an SDTV in the meantime and going back to D or E. The V6.20 software made me come really close to doing this today. When I had D and my old SDTV I actually enjoyed watching TV. I didn't have any PQ problems and I never spent hours in the forums bitching and looking for fixes. :no

Hahhahahhahahah.....v1.20 of the firmware is probably the best do far! Voom's SD is superior to E* and equal and some case a little better than D* IMO, just less SD channel options. You really enjoyed watching TV on a 36" SD.. hey come over I'll sell you mine! You want a 27" Sony Trinitron SD also? Yeah man I REALLY enjoyed watching stuff on thos TVs because of the soft blur and less detail I really enjoyed TV more!

Why would I watch CSI Miami in widescreen and at it's highest resolution when I can watch it cropped and everyone's face nice smooth and fuzzy? I mean that's stupid as hell, if you really love TV you'd want to see it at it's worst, everyone knows that. :what

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts