HDTV Triple LNB Upgrade Installation Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jl0810

Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Okay - a somewhat confusing, and disappointing day as I tried to make the leaps into HDTV this afternoon. Moving from the dual LNB to the triple LNB a little more diff. than expected

However, I know someone on this board can help with this question

Currently I have a dual lnb dish with a 3x4 Multiswitch - On the "3" side, I have two dish feeds, and an antenna feed - On the "4" side, I'm feeding 2 regular receivers and 1 DirecTivo.

I want to keep the same config INCLUDING THE DIRECTIVO, while upgrading to HDTV, and the Triple LNB.

Here's what I have been told, by the installer:

1. For the dispaly with the DirectTivo, I will need to run a third feed - the 2 feeds will continue to be used for DirectTivo, while this new 3rd feed will feed the HD receiver - is this true? I would rather not run a 3rd cable to this room (2 was hard enough). This means I can no longer use a x4 switch (as I have a total of 5 feeds), and now have to move to a powered 8 switch - such as a 5x8?

2. If want to contiue to feed an antenna signal, and diplex the signal out at the source, I now need a 5x8 switch? 4 feeds in for the Triple LNB, and 1 Feed in for the antenna? The DirecTV installer claims that he does not stock these 5x8's (only 4x8s and 4x4s)- should I call DirectTv and get them to order one, or is that futile exercise and I will just have to pay out of pocket for one?

All of that is true. From what I've heard, DirecTV doesn't "officially" support 5xN multiswitches, and therefore doesn't offer them. You can, of course, use one, but you will probably have to buy it yourself.

Working for a HSP I have not come across a 5X8..so you may have to buy one, and yes you will need to run a third line for the HD rcvr. Or you can do one of two other things 1. Only run one line to your tivo and sacrifice some of the Tivo-ability, or 2. purchase pioneers HDtv/tivo/dvd burner rcvr.

Bear in mind if after you have made your decision and you be using a 5x8 MS then you will need an additional cable run to the 5x8 that will be used to power the MS.

Thanks for the info

Well - I spent what seemed like hours talking to DirecTV trying to convince them that by moving to a triple LNB satellite and a 4x8, I was actually LOSING one input for my antenna (yes, they actually did not believe me!).

The net result was that DirecTV instructed me to purchase a 5x8, such as the Terk listed on Amazon for $71 shipped, and that they would credit me the cost of the 5x8 on my bill.

So I guess I'm satisifed for now

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts