HDTV Waiver questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alton987

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I've been thinking about DirecTv I have a questions about HDTV and waivers. I know how waivers work on SD channels but what about HDTV? My local Fox station transmits @ 1000 watts. Yeah watts. Can I get a waiver and get Fox East/West feeds for HDTV only not SD? I know this is assuming DirecTv picks up FOX HDTV and I get a waiver. But everytime I call direcTv I get a really shaky yes or a I think no kind of answer.

Nope! The same policy apply for HD channels like the SD channels. The waiver issue is not about analog or digital, rather its about who have right to broadcast any type of signal (usually in favor to the closet affiliate in your local area of 100 mile radius!). Plus you local affiliate determines the broadcast right of both analog and digital formats, so if you cannot get SD FOX E/W feeds Im pretty sure DAVE nor you local affiliate is going to dish out the HD feed!!! :no

Also remember that, while you think of all the programming as "Fox" programming, there is a lot of programming each individual affiliate runs that they have the rights to, vice the network. There is no way the network can arbitrarily usurp the rights of its affiliates. The reason that D* subscribers in the NBC and CBS owned and operated markets can get the HD DNS feeds is that the "parent" company (or network) has decided that it was more important to get the HDTV feed out to D* subscribers than it was to ensure that their local O-and-O stations get the maximum number of viewers for ratings purposes.

Smthkd said:
(usually in favor to the closet affiliate in your local area of 100 mile radius

Actually the radius varies. In my case, I'm 65 miles from towers and need a waiver. My rental house 6 miles south doesn't need the waivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)