Hearst Television and Dish Dispute/Negotiations

Mojo Jojo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
US
Saw this on local affiliate WDSU ( http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news...-dish-negotiating-carriage-agreement/25332580 ):

NOTICE TO DISH SUBSCRIBERS: WDSU's parent company, Hearst Television, is currently negotiating a renewal of its carriage agreement with DISH.

If negotiations are not successfully concluded before Tuesday, April 8[SUP]th[/SUP], at 9 p.m., you may not be able to view WDSU on DISH if carriage is no longer authorized.
However, you will be able to receive WDSU over the air and from other cable providers such as Charter and DirecTV.
Check back for updates.

For a list of Hearst Television, Inc. affiliates: http://www.hearsttelevision.com/our_company/our_stations/

Ch 6 is one that I will definitelty not miss

We would miss it. We like most if not all of the New Orleans local affiliates. If channel 6 would go away, we would probably watch channel 8 (WVUE) for news (especially at 10 P.M.). We do watch channel 4 (WWL) from time to time although we do not watch it as much as we used to except for the noon news. Other than that, we would miss the NBC Nightly News. However, I do not mind watching the ABC Evening News when David Muir is anchoring. Diane is alright if we must necessarily watch. The CBS Morning News (on WUPL as WWL does not play it in favor of their own morning local news) seemed a little bit better the other morning than what I have seen in years. I should also note that most news can be found online now even the world news at a later time. It would definitely be a minor inconvenience. Years ago, this would not have been a problem since our cable company (which we dropped for DirecTV then for Dish) had WVLA, the Baton Rouge affiliate of NBC, as well as the CBS (WAFB) and ABC (WBRZ) affiliates of Baton Rouge. However, even the cable company has dropped the Baton Rouge affiliates; my guess is that it was probably costly with all the disputes or negotiations.

By the way, like the Morgus the Magnificent avatar...:)

Last edited:
Update: Dish's Statements

Dish has posted the following on a separate channel near the Hearst Television affiliate (channel 7 for WDSU channel 6 in this case):

Hearst Television is threatening to block access to one of your local channels.

Hearst is making unreasonable demands for carriage on Dish.

At DISH, we believe the customer should always come first. That's why we work hard to bring you the best programming at a fair price.

Learn more about our commitment to you at DISHValuePledge.com.

Luckily for me, the KC station that is Hearst is ABC, but my local ABC station from St. Joe, so I won't lose it.

Looks like my ABC is included. WTAE Pittsburgh. I am hoping for a resolution, i am not a big fan of losing any channels especially a big 4 network.

Guess I will be calling when they turn the channel off to ask for some kind of programming credit. Last time I got free HBO for 3 months an other time I got $10. These disputes seem to come and go.

Here's the list of Hearst owned stations:

Market DMA
Rank
AffiliationStationChannel
Analog/
Digital
U.S.
Household
Coverage
Boston, MA7ABC[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]WCVB[/SIZE][/FONT]5/202.1%
Manchester, NH ABC[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]WMUR[/SIZE][/FONT]9/59
Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL14WMOR32/191.6%
Orlando, FL19NBCWESH2/111.3%
Orlando, FL CWWKCF18/17
Pittsburgh, PA23ABCWTAE4/511.0%
Baltimore, MD27NBCWBAL11/591.0%
Greenville-Spartanburg, SC37NBCWYFF4/590.7%
W. Palm Beach, FL38ABCWPBF25/160.7%
Lancaster, PA43NBCWGAL8/580.6%
Greensboro/
Winston-Salem, NC
46NBCWXII12/310.6%
Louisville, KY48CBSWLKY32/260.6%
Portland-Auburn, ME80ABCWMTW8/460.3%
Burlington, VT/
Plattsburgh, NY
97NBC/
NBC
WPTZ/
WNNE
5/14
31/25
0.3%
inviso.gif

content_link_arrow.gif

inviso.gif

CENTRAL REGION STATIONS
rulewh.gif
MarketDMA
Rank
AffiliationStationChannelU.S.
Household
Coverage
lblurule.gif
Kansas City, MO31ABCKMBC9/70.8%
Kansas City, MO CWKCWE29/31
Milwaukee, WI34ABCWISN12/340.8%
Cincinnati, OH35NBCWLWT5/350.8%
Oklahoma City, OK41ABCKOCO5/70.6%
New Orleans, LA51NBCWDSU6/430.6%
Des Moines, IA72CBSKCCI8/310.4%
Omaha, NE75ABCKETV7/200.4%
Jackson, MS93ABC[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]WAPT[/SIZE][/FONT]16/210.3%
Fort Smith/
Fayettville, AR
101ABC/
ABC
KHBS/
KHOG
40/21
29/15
0.3%
inviso.gif

content_link_arrow.gif

inviso.gif

WESTERN AND PACIFIC REGION STATIONS
rulewh.gif
MarketDMA
Rank
AffiliationStationChannelU.S.
Household
Coverage
lblurule.gif
Sacramento/Stockton/
Modesto, CA
20NBCKCRA3/351.2%
Sacramento/Stockton/
Modesto, CA
MNTKQCA58/46
Albuquerque, NM47ABCKOAT7/210.6%
Honolulu, HI71ABCKITV4/400.4%
Monterey-Salinas, CA125NBC

I wonder if Dish will put WGN America in the place of the Hearst affiliates if pulled. Not a great deal if you are an AT200/Dish Latino Max or above sub

As I saw an article (in the Washington Post?) recently about the decline of local news ( with local news and local weather being about the only valid reason for locals to exist), perhaps Hearst is blissfully unaware of its fragility. Ain't a "must have" by any stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yup, gone gone gone and I am not pleased at all

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts