Heat Sinks on 6000 Chips

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I had the cover of my 6000s moving a R5000HD unit that had been installed in the former R5000HD Dish 6000 of Gary Murrel to a BEV 6000 IRD I had.

As I was moving the wiring harness between the 6000s, something seemed different besides the lack of the 8VSB module in the BEV unit.

It finally hit me. The Dish 6000 had 2 heat sinks on 2 chips about 1inch by 1inch square. The BEV did not. The boards seems identical except for the heat sinks on the 2 chips.

I purchased the BEV unit used about 1 - 1 1/2 years ago - so I don't know if the heat sinks were ever on the unit and the original owner did something to them - or maybe they were on early units but found not needed later on - or not on early on and found to be needed later :confused:

Should I be concerned that there are no heat sinks on the chips on one of the 6000 IRDs?

I searched on the internet for about 30 minutes trying to find some 1"x1" heat sinks with a large number of fins or whatever they are called coming from the top - in most cases they are not passive but with a fan.

I guess I am curious why one IRD has them and the other doesnt.

Last edited:
He said he was going back to school and didn't have time for HD any longer 0 Had 500 DVHS tapes and figured that would last him for a life of watching :confused:

So I purchased his R5000HD mod and moved it into a BEV 6000.

HokieEngineer said:
Edit: i searched through my catalog book and found:
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...ductid=569286&e_categoryid=80&e_pcodeid=56712

1.1"L x 1.1"W x .45"H, with self stick tape on the bottom.

Wow...should have asked here first instead of coming up with things that wouldn't work on the search engines! Thanks!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts