Heat's Riley: Heavy level of interest on Allen Iverson

That's what they said about the :alers with Kobe, Shaq, Malone & Payton, and look what happened. Loading your team with stars doesn't automatically make your team a winner. You need role players. If I verson goes to the Heat, they'll be good for a few weeks, then watch the grapes go sour on the vine.

T there would be NO WAY the Heat could be stopped if they had a backcourt of Iverson AND Wade.

Its also exactly what they said about Wade, Shaq, Payton, Jwill and Walker, and how did that turn out!?! How about RINGS!

That's what they said about the :alers with Kobe, Shaq, Malone & Payton, and look what happened. Loading your team with stars doesn't automatically make your team a winner. You need role players. If I verson goes to the Heat, they'll be good for a few weeks, then watch the grapes go sour on the vine.

Apparently you understimate the will of Pat Riley.:D The EXACT things were said about Antoine Walker AND Jason Williams.....and what happened? They ACCEPTED their roles...and the Heat won a championship. You gotta remember, after Pat Riley there is NO ONE else to bitch and complain to EXCEPT Mickey Aronson...and he is the owner.....and after what Riley pulled off last year...might as well say Pat can walk on water....believe me when I tell you Riley will get the nod over any player on this roster....THAT is edged in stone.

Sorry, but Williams and Walker are far from being superstars and Payton was far from being the Payton from Seattle. I think Payton learned his ego lesson from being booed at Staples Center where I saw him many times when he was with the Lakers. Talk about a useless egomaniac. Riley was luck to get him when he did, as Payton knew this was his last real shot. and about underestimating the will of Pat Rilley?? Hmmm, I wonder who has more championships Riley or Phil jackson. and what did Riley's will do for the Knicks or Miami for that matter during the last 15 years other than last year. There have been few dynasties and Miami's not one of them. Go ahead take Iverson. Let's see how he handles South Beach ... lol

Sorry, but Williams and Walker are far from being superstars and Payton was far from being the Payton from Seattle. I think Payton learned his ego lesson from being booed at Staples Center where I saw him many times when he was with the Lakers. Talk about a useless egomaniac. Riley was luck to get him when he did, as Payton knew this was his last real shot. and about underestimating the will of Pat Rilley?? Hmmm, I wonder who has more championships Riley or Phil jackson. and what did Riley's will do for the Knicks or Miami for that matter during the last 15 years other than last year. There have been few dynasties and Miami's not one of them. Go ahead take Iverson. Let's see how he handles South Beach ... lol

Look...they may NOT been superstars.....but they DID come with superstar ego/baggage. NO one has mentioned ANYTHING about dynasty. You guys out west had your chance but were stupid enough to trade the best big man in the last 20 years....!!!About this comparison to Riley and Jackson.....gimme a break, I covered Jackson when he was with the Bulls and he had 2 seasons WITHOUT Jordan and they did nothing. As soon as they trade Shaq in LA....nada. AND Jackson has NEVER had to start teams from nothing.....ALWAYS inherited teams on the verge. I am just saying IF Iverson was traded to Miami, if there is ONE coach that could check his ego.....it would be Riley.....

1. I agree that trading Shaq was indeed "dumb" and about 3 years premature. But then again, Mitch Kupchak is no Jerry West. lol 2. The way you're describing Riley it reminds me of many marriages gone bad where the wife thinks she can "change" her husband from what he once was. People "can" change, but people don't change people.

I'd take any team with D Wade. he's an awesome person and player. The same goes for Shaq as long as management knows how to stroke him. He's a big 12 year old kid who needs lots of attention. Walker always had the goods but not the brains. The same goes for Williams. Payton has the brains (if he chooses to use them) but little goods left in the tank

The reason the role players came is alive is best spelled out in four letters: SHAQ. Everyone dreams of playing with Shaq. Riley dreamed of coaching Shaq. Riley may have played a small role in taking this team to the title, but it was Shaq and the enormity of his person who really carried the team, both emotionally and physically.

Look...they may NOT been superstars.....but they DID come with superstar ego/baggage. NO one has mentioned ANYTHING about dynasty. You guys out west had your chance but were stupid enough to trade the best big man in the last 20 years....!!!About this comparison to Riley and Jackson.....gimme a break, I covered Jackson when he was with the Bulls and he had 2 seasons WITHOUT Jordan and they did nothing. As soon as they trade Shaq in LA....nada. AND Jackson has NEVER had to start teams from nothing.....ALWAYS inherited teams on the verge. I am just saying IF Iverson was traded to Miami, if there is ONE coach that could check his ego.....it would be Riley.....

I think there are just some players you cannot get them to play on the same page. I personally think AI is one of those guys. He will screw any team he is on with his lazy, inefficient play. He is no different than Marbury, just a little bit more talented. Even Phil Jackson could not deal with some malcontents (like J.R. Rider and Ruben Patterson).

I have always agreed in the past about Phil Jackson never really building teams, just taking them when they were on the verge, but I think that is going to change. Since he retook the Laker job, he has done some of his best coaching. He has took a team in turmoil and with little continuity and has made it a winner. They have made some risky moves and they are starting to pay off. What I cannot believe is how stupid many basketball players are that they do not understand the triangle offense. I absolute hate Kobe "the rapist" Bryant, but I love watching how that triangle offense moves.

I think there are just some players you cannot get them to play on the same page. I personally think AI is one of those guys. He will screw any team he is on with his lazy, inefficient play. He is no different than Marbury, just a little bit more talented. Even Phil Jackson could not deal with some malcontents (like J.R. Rider and Ruben Patterson).

I have always agreed in the past about Phil Jackson never really building teams, just taking them when they were on the verge, but I think that is going to change. Since he retook the Laker job, he has done some of his best coaching. He has took a team in turmoil and with little continuity and has made it a winner. They have made some risky moves and they are starting to pay off. What I cannot believe is how stupid many basketball players are that they do not understand the triangle offense. I absolute hate Kobe "the rapist" Bryant, but I love watching how that triangle offense moves.

Gotta remember IA has only played on 3 teams....his high school team, Georgetown and Philly....So we really don't know how he will respond on another team....IF he comes down here, he would be tied for 2nd fiddle on the Heat and playing point guard, he would have NO CHOICE but to pass 1st and shoot 2nd. I never thought his play was insufficient...but they have NEVER had a legit #2 go to guy and he has carried that franchise since Charles Barkley left. He will give more effort from that little body than 90% of the players in the NBA and NO ONE has played hurt as much as he had. So the comparison to THE most overrated player in the last 15 year, Stephan Marbury, just does not hold water.

IF he were to come down here....and it is looking doubtful...and could be a better fit in Denver....That will be THE most feared 3 some since Magic, Kareem and Worthy. They would DEFINATELY be tough for the WEST and NO ONE in the East has the fire power to stop them. BUT, like I said, the trade is looking doubtful by the moment....and as the old saying goes...."shoulda, coulda and woulda...and if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle....":D

Not sure where you saw DEN is also out, but I see AI going to the DEN Nuggets.

G Allen Iverson

for

G Andre Miller
F Joe Smith
2 picks

Well I think the 2nd draft pick was the "bonus" but other than that its is nearly fair with current value favoring DEN. You never know what draft picks will turn out to be. If one happens to be Greg Oden then they likely got a great deal.

Unfortunately for DEN, they are in the west and likely can do no better than 3rd, likely 4th; behind SAN, DAL, PHX. DEN has no big-man threat. He needed to go to a team like MIA, to have the best chance of getting the title. We all know PHI was not going to allow that.

Well, I think Denver would have NEVER pulled the trigger and waited till close to the trading deadline and find a desperate team....with Carmelo's suspension, I think their hand was forced.

Well, I think Denver would have NEVER pulled the trigger and waited till close to the trading deadline and find a desperate team....with Carmelo's suspension, I think their hand was forced.

I think the whole thing with Denver is that they most likely did not want to give up Andre Miller, and had been trying to get a third team to take Nene. Of coarse nobody wants the overrated Nene and his bloated contract, and then the fallout of the Garden Brawl came to light, I do agree that Denver had to cave and give up Miller in the deal for AI. I think Philly made out very well in this trade. Now if they can stink it up the rest of the season, they might have a chance for Oden, but even if they do not get the top pick or he stays in college, this draft will be a nice deep one, which is why Philly wanted both those draft picks.

Great value for Philly. What was Denver thinking? I don't see Iverson improving this team much.

Here's where the REAL problem will be...AI get's there and he is basically THE SHOW until the team gets back Carmelo Anthony.....so there is this initial adjustment to AI on the team. THEN when Carmelo gets back, there is A SECOND adjustment with sub layers....team with AI and 'Melo, AI with 'Melo, coach with AI AND Melo...so don't be surpised if this team struggles for an identity until about 10 to 15 games AFTER Carmelo gets back from the suspension...THAT is when you will see IF this trade is really gonna work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)