Hello Again. Got my dish going after a long break.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JerryVT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Vermont
I just checked and my last post to the site was almost ten years ago. In 2010 I setup a motorized dish and GeoSatPro 200 receiver for the first time. I used it heavily for a couple years, but once my kids came along time, and extra money quickly disappeared. Once the kids were a bit older around 2016 I started using it again, but found alot of the signals had shifted over to HD, and over the years it became more and more difficult to find anything interesting. But now the kids are older, and equipment prices have come way down, so I decided to get my old dish and HH motor working again. A few observations.

#1 I bought the 280 HH motor from Sadoun in 2010, and what a good piece of kit. I had not moved the dish in 3 years, and it is still right on.

#2 I did need to change the LNB. I had a standard 10750 LNB and replaced that with a Universal LNB shortly thereafter. Fortunately I still had the old 10750 in a box, as the signals were weak off the Universal, but peaked right up once I replaced it.

#3 Holy cow have things gotten easier. I treated myself to the GTMedia V8 Meter and holy crap is that awesome. It took a while to locate all the settings, but my dish is up on a flat porch roof to see over trees and to not have to haul a receiver, TV, and power onto the roof was awesome. The meter has a little built in TV so you have all the diagnostic functions, and can see the channel you are tuning. Brilliant!

#4 I bought a GTMedia V7 S2X receiver, which seems to work well, but I did not realize is not set up for America out of the box. Fortunately the PAL signal came in clear enough to change to NTSC, and then I hooked up the HDMI anyway. I have to manually enter the transponders which is fine for sats where I want certain channels, but a little more difficult for sats like G17 where I want all of the transponders to blind scan for news feeds. Anyone know of a work around for this?

At any rate I was pleasantly surprised to see there is still ALOT lurking up there on FTA and I look forward to getting active in the hobby again. There is a 6-foot C-band dish I can have for free to add to the dish farm, but I need to convince my wife to let me put it up.

Best

Welcome back Jerry, long time no see.
Don't be a lurker feel free to join in and chat with us!

Since you have kids and a wife, TBN & Positiv channels on Galaxy 19 Ku Band is all you'll ever need until the day you die. Along with a few other channels, Church Channel, Victory channel, Amazing Discoveries, Amazing Facts, ...

There are a few more channels such as Kazakhstan TV (horse milking contests) and Vietnam channels. The remainder channels are ignored (or locked) out here.

SES 2 is also good for Japan NHK news channel, has lots of learning programs. Germany DW is also now broadcasting on SES 2, however I see little educational material on their news channel, primarily news or news related.

If you're trying to get a divorce and have the wife take the kids, Galaxy 19 has Russia Today (RT) channel and a few other channels for watching 24/7.

After watching FTA Ku band for a while, think most C band channels are being migrated to Ku band, due to the smaller dish receiver footprint. One by one over a year or so, according to my perception, seem to be switching.

Welcome back! I got in last year with a 90cm Geosat and a GTMedia receiver. Now I have 5 dishes including a 8.5 footer for C Band. No cable here where I'm at so I started my own cable servce. At least that's what I tell my curious neighbors......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)