Hello, DirectTV System Ordering Questions.. (or) Help A Newbie! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rexbryant

Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
Hi, my name is Rex and I live in the southern part of Kentucky. I am interested in purchasing a DirectTV system, however I do have several questions about the process.

A little background:

I went to my local BestBuy today and after filling out their forms and answering their questions, the woman behind the desk hits me with this: "You need a debit/credit card." stuff. I don't have either one of those and even if I did, I'd just call DirectTV on the phone and order the system from them for $19.95 or whatever. So:

Question # 1 - Is is possible to buy a DirectTV system from a retailer without having a debit/credit card?

Question # 2 - What should I expect to pay? I need only a 1-room system.

Question # 2 (A) - Does the dish come "free of charge" for 1st time customers?

Question # 2 (B) - Do I pay for the reciever and the dish and then get a rebate for the reciever?

Question # 3 - Are there any other retailers that someone may know of that would allow me to purchase the system without having a debit/credit card? (RadioShack, CircuitCity, etc. etc.)

Question # 4 - Should I expect to pay basically the same price no matter which retailer I go to?

Question # 4(A) - What about local satellite dealers?

Question # 5 - Are you tired of me asking questions yet? Yes, I thought so.

Anyway, hello again. Thanks for your help. Beautiful site. Happy Holidays. :)

To buy online and at a retailer you must use a credit/debit card because they are giving you free hardware and if you don't activate programming they will charge your credit card.

If you want one non HDTV or as we called it a basic SD box with install it will be free with one year agreement. You will have to pay around 15 bucks in S&H fees. If you want a DirecTV DVR that would cost around 100 bucks plus 15 bucks in S&H.

The dish and installation come free of charge for new customers. Best Buy and such may require a rebate but again you must give a credit/debit card.

I think it would be your best option to go call DirecTV directly at 1-800-DirecTV and tell them you want to order DirecTV service without a credit/debit card and they most likely will require that you give a deposit however you can. To be honest I know it can be done but I've never had to do it so again you will have to call DirecTV and they will tell you what you need to do. For example if you have a check they can debit the money from your checking account using that code on the check. But however this gets setup you can still get the above prices with all hardware required and installation without having to send a rebate or anything like that. Again your required to keep any total choice package starting at 33.99/month I think for at least one year.

LonghornXP said:
To buy online and at a retailer you must use a credit/debit card because they are giving you free hardware and if you don't activate programming they will charge your credit card.

What if I activiate the programing before buying the DirectTV system? Would that work?

Good Evening.

Local retailers charge a processing fee, including DirecTV directly.
Usually it's in the $15 to $30 range. You can normally pay that in cash or check, HOWEVER,

DirecTV themselves require a credit card, because that is their way of charging you the termination fee if you do not fulfill your part of the agreement - one year of service.

You may be able to get around this by letting them know that you do not have a credit card or debit card. Please note that DirecTv does charge a $50 deposit for customers who fail the credit check, and they may want that from you.

One thing you could do though..is go to a conv. store and buy a prepaid credit card, and give them that. Good luck.

1. Yes. D* requires either a credit card OR your SSN and DL. You will be credit scored so expect to pay a $50 prepayment (goes towards your 1st month's bill) if you have credit damage.

2. The current promotion is up to three rooms installed at no charge for install and standard equipment. In exchange you agree to keeping a minimum programming package for one year. You do not need to take all receivers offered.

2a. Yes, 2 see above.

2b. No - that is a Dish Network promotion.

3. Have to let your fingers do the walking. Check your local yellow pages for satellite dealers

4. In the case of up to three rooms; yes. Over that varies. Some retailers are providing four and five receivers installed for free.

4a. See 4 above.

5. Of course not. That's what the forum is for! :D

Thank for everyone's help.

I called DirectTV and they said that Wal-Mart also carries DirectTV and since there is a Wal-Mart in just about every town, I checked mine out. Sure enough....

$14.76 for a DirectTV Certificate. I called them when I got home and the DirectTV install person should be here between 8-12 on Tuesday.

This sounds too good to be true. $14.76 for a DirectTV system? Interesting.

Guess we'll see what kind of other charges are applied once the guy get's here.

directv can not require a credit card in pa ,virgina or mass , they are commonwealths not states we have different laws. i know because our install area covers western pa where they cant and eastern ohio , the panhandle and upper west virginia and garrett co in maryland where they can require a credit card. in pennsylvania they CAN NOT even require a D/L #, it is illegal to even ask for it. at some installs they have the subscriber fax them a gas or electric bill with the acc no. erased to prove they live at the address.

by the way you can also pre pay, at least in pa using a one time check by phone and then telling them you want a bill every month

.............bob

robert luzzi said:
directv can not require a credit card in pa ,virgina or mass , they are commonwealths not states we have different laws. i know because our install area covers western pa where they cant and eastern ohio , the panhandle and upper west virginia and garrett co in maryland where they can require a credit card. in pennsylvania they CAN NOT even require a D/L #, it is illegal to even ask for it. at some installs they have the subscriber fax them a gas or electric bill with the acc no. erased to prove they live at the address.

by the way you can also pre pay, at least in pa using a one time check by phone and then telling them you want a bill every month

.............bob

Very interesting... Kentucky is a Commonwealth too.. and what does D/L mean?

[EDIT] Sorry folks, I'm stupid. D/L = Driver's License.

Excuse me while I go sit in a corner with the dunce cap. [/EDIT]

This is off topic, but this is still interesting to me. I live in Indiana, which everyone knows is a state system of government. I work in Kentucky, which is a commonwealth. The system of goverment between the two states is like night and day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)