Hello from a newbie- ebay card question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sloweddi

Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
NorCal
Howdy,
As I am new to satellite TV I thought I would ask a question. Please accept my apoplgies if this is a question that everyone asks.

I am retiring soon and will be moving from cable to satillite. I was given a bunch of directv equipment, but in reading through some of the other posts I will probably get my set up new to take advantage of the sales.
My question concerns the cards I see on ebay. If I buy one of these cards and call directv and say activate this card, what do you get? Do you still have to have an account with directv? Is this just another ebay scam?

Thanks to everyone

Yes, you have to have an account with DirecTV if you want to watch DirecTV.

The card does not give you all the channels for free (unless you have an illegal card), the card is how DirecTV identifies you and gives you access to the chanels you have paid for.

I am sure someone else here can elaborate much more than I can about exactly how the cards work. Personally, I would be cautious when buying something of this nature from ebay.

My advice, call DirecTV or Value Electronics (banner ad link at top of page)
They can set you up with what you need.

They won't authorize those cards. They will send you a new one for $20. The cards on E-bay are for people foolish enough to think they can hack them.

I thought selling Directv cards on Ebay was against Ebay's policy. I don't know whether Directv will activate them.

A few months back, though, I activated a used receiver and only had to pay $20 for a new card from Directv. (I was already a Directv customer, though.) When I called Directv, I had to give them the model number and serial number. They shipped the card via Federal Express, and I had no programming committment.

What type of receivers will you be using? I personally think Hughes are the best. j c

thanks

Thanks everyone, it is about what I expected. I was given the following equipment:
Hughes dir. pack GAEBOA
RCA DRD303RA
Philips DSX5350R
2- standard dishes
One of the receivers has a card but I am not sure which one. It is in a plastic bag taped to the unit so I know where it goes.
Another question- is there a book(s) that will explain satellite TV?
I use to be in the electronics business so I have a little knowledge in the general field, however, it is in vaccuum tubes.

thanks

sloweddi said:
Another question- is there a book(s) that will explain satellite TV?
I use to be in the electronics business so I have a little knowledge in the general field, however, it is in vaccuum tubes.
thanks
Here, if you have any Q&A's about sat tv just ask :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts