Help! 722k won't record on tv2 while in dual mode

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ParadisePlacebo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Marion, IL
I've tried switching back and forth from single to dual, but when I'm in dual mode it makes all of my tv2 timers show as skipped, and when I try to restore them I get an (incorrect) timer conflict message. Single mode seems to work just fine. I've power cycled the receiver with no change in the problem. I've also tried changing the record plus settings while in dual mode with no luck.

I use the second tuner for another room in my house, so it's a real problem for it not to work properly. Any thoughts?

I know this is going to sound weird but whenever I make changes to the Record Plus settings, I usually back out and hit record on the program I am watching then just stop it after a few seconds of recording. By doing this it resets my timers to correspond to the Record Plus settings. I'm sorry if this doesn't work but it usually does for me when I want to run in dual mode and the setting has been changed to enabled on TV2.

Yeah, I do that to. But this isn't about just changing the record plus settings. ALL of my dozens of tv2 timers just started being skipped, and only tv1 timers would show as set to record when in dual mode.

There are no "TV2" Timers. There are tuner 1 & 2 timers. TV2 is an output- from either tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

There are no "TV2" Timers. There are tuner 1 & 2 timers. TV2 is an output- from either tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Huh? The TV 2 output defaults to the second tuner only. A customer can go in and set the receiver to modulate out tuner one and two though. The receiver is defaulted to record shows on the second tuner first unless you tell the receiver to record on tuner one. Basically it records on TV2 or TV1.

Have you tried switching to that tuner, and is it actually working? Maybe it can't record because it's dead on that side for some reason.

Yes, tuner 2 is working. As long as I'm in single mode it will record both tuners just fine, but there's no video feed sent out from the second tuner. When I switch to dual mode there's a video feed from tuner 2, but all of my timers that are assigned to that tuner are skipped. Timers that are assigned to tuner 1 aren't effected.

Try creating a new timer while at the TV2 location and see if it sticks. If it does, you may need to redo the timers you want to record on tuner 2 by setting them up again at the TV2 location.

If that doesn't work, try it from TV1, and see if the timer won't skip when it is to record on tuner 2.

Huh? The TV 2 output defaults to the second tuner only. A customer can go in and set the receiver to modulate out tuner one and two though. The receiver is defaulted to record shows on the second tuner first unless you tell the receiver to record on tuner one. Basically it records on TV2 or TV1.

This is the way that I have mine set up........works great

TV2 is an output. As you note, it can display programming from either tuner. It can also display previously recorded material. It can set future recordings that may be made off either tuner, depending upon how you set it up. To say TV2 has it's own tuner seems to imply each output (each television) has it's own tuner, when in fact the tuners are shared. I find that to be very misleading.

I had a couple of ViP722s for years. I only briefly set one up in dual mode. But why make things complicated? Two shared inputs (tuners) shared between (sometimes) two separate outputs (TVs).

No, in dual mode, the TV2 output only uses the 2nd tuner. The only way TV2 output can "see" tuner 1's programming is if tuner 1 is recording, then TV2 can view it via the DVR menu.

You can view the TV1 output via a 2nd modulated NTSC output channel, but you can't control that programming via the TV2 remote.

Try creating a new timer while at the TV2 location and see if it sticks. If it does, you may need to redo the timers you want to record on tuner 2 by setting them up again at the TV2 location.

If that doesn't work, try it from TV1, and see if the timer won't skip when it is to record on tuner 2.

It worked! I disabled record plus and deleted/reset a couple of timers from the tv2 location, and suddenly all of the timers started working again. I can set timers from both locations, and even enable and change around the record plus settings without any problems. I still don't know why it got confused in the first place, but it's working now.

Thanks for the suggestion, dare2be!

No, in dual mode, the TV2 output only uses the 2nd tuner. The only way TV2 output can "see" tuner 1's programming is if tuner 1 is recording, then TV2 can view it via the DVR menu.

You can view the TV1 output via a 2nd modulated NTSC output channel, but you can't control that programming via the TV2 remote.

I think we're all basically saying the same thing. TV1 and TV2 are available to view on any TV by just a simple change of the TVs channel and having two remotes. You could also just flip the key at the bottom of the remote and change the address and use it.

For most people this is too much work and is confusing to them. For me to tell a customer that TV1 is it's own tuner and TV2 is it's own tuner is pretty accurate. When I split TV2 out to multiple TVs, those TVs all have to watch the same tuner with no options.

That's right, now I remember. Since TV2 doesn't know TV1 is or is not in use, it can't just grab the other tuner for use. But you could change the default setting- this doesn't really alter behavior?

I guess the Hopper's transparent use of tuners has spoiled me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)