Help a newbie please with satellite setup

tayphil

Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
SE
New to the Dish stuff, so bear with me please. Need a little help setting up a 1000.4 dish with 222k receiver (trying to set it up on a tripod for use in multiple locations, tailgating, etc.).

1. Setting Dish Skew - dishpointer gives a skew for my location as 70.9 degree turn to left. The scale is set at 90 degrees when "flat". So does that mean I turn it left and set the scale at 70.9 or turn it 70.9 degrees left (meaning a value of 180-70.9 or 109.1)?

2. Elevation: Where is the "mark" for the elevation setting? The manual says to tilt the dish mounting bracket to align the "edge" with the required angle on the elevation scale. The edge of what? The azimuth plate? Or the flanges that rise up on either side of the azimuth plate?

3. On the point dish screen of my receiver, the only options for satellites are 300, 500 and super. The 1000 is not listed. Will this correct once I get a link to a satellite and download? What do I use in the meantime, or does it even matter?

More to follow I'm sure. Thanks for the help.

I am also a newbie trying to get my 1000.4 setup for tailgating but I can try and help you out a little bit...

There should be elevation and skew numbers on the dish. For the skew there is a line that points to the numbers but for the elevation you have to use the nut from the bolt to indicate where to set the elevation. The azimuth is the only setting you need to figure out on your own. And from what I have been told azimuth is degrees away from north. So you can use a compass to figure out what direction to point your dish.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

Oh and it doesnt matter what dish (300,500, Super) you have selected on the point dish screen. Just make sure you have the right satellite selected to lock in (61.5, 72, 77).

New to the Dish stuff, so bear with me please. Need a little help setting up a 1000.4 dish with 222k receiver (trying to set it up on a tripod for use in multiple locations, tailgating, etc.).

1. Setting Dish Skew - dishpointer gives a skew for my location as 70.9 degree turn to left. The scale is set at 90 degrees when "flat". So does that mean I turn it left and set the scale at 70.9 or turn it 70.9 degrees left (meaning a value of 180-70.9 or 109.1)?

2. Elevation: Where is the "mark" for the elevation setting? The manual says to tilt the dish mounting bracket to align the "edge" with the required angle on the elevation scale. The edge of what? The azimuth plate? Or the flanges that rise up on either side of the azimuth plate?

3. On the point dish screen of my receiver, the only options for satellites are 300, 500 and super. The 1000 is not listed. Will this correct once I get a link to a satellite and download? What do I use in the meantime, or does it even matter?

More to follow I'm sure. Thanks for the help.
There is a scale on the polar plate. It has numbers on it. There is an arrow which points to the skew degrees. 70.9 means just that.
"Edge"....On the elevation plate you'll see a numbered scale. The edge is the straight edge of metal you can see through the slot above the numbered scale. The edge is marked by a dab of red ink. Use that edge to line up your elevation degree setting.
Oh....very important..Your elevation is supposed to be 70.9 or 71....set the elevation one degree high to compensate for the weight of the LNB and arm. Trust me on this one.
Hopefully you have a good meter otherwise you'll have a fun time peaking this dish. it isn't easy without the right equipment...GL
Oh as far as the selex on the point dish screen is concerened, doesn;t matter what setting you use.
Once the receiver recognizes the sats it is pointed to.....Just switch from 61.5 to 72 to 77 to check your signal strengths.

There is a scale on the polar plate. It has numbers on it. There is an arrow which points to the skew degrees. 70.9 means just that.
"Edge"....On the elevation plate you'll see a numbered scale. The edge is the straight edge of metal you can see through the slot above the numbered scale. The edge is marked by a dab of red ink. Use that edge to line up your elevation degree setting.
Oh....very important..Your elevation is supposed to be 70.9 or 71....set the elevation one degree high to compensate for the weight of the LNB and arm. Trust me on this one.
Hopefully you have a good meter otherwise you'll have a fun time peaking this dish. it isn't easy without the right equipment...GL
Oh as far as the selex on the point dish screen is concerened, doesn;t matter what setting you use.
Once the receiver recognizes the sats it is pointed to.....Just switch from 61.5 to 72 to 77 to check your signal strengths.

Any suggestions what to use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)