Help a Newbie Please

Scogar

Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Atlanta
hi, I have spent a few weeks surfing this site and learning all that I can. No matter how much I learn I just haven't been able to get comfortable about what I will see and how it will work when I choose my equipment and i'm looking for some specific help.

I currently have Comcast but have decided to go with dish and get Gold, upgrade to HD, and add German. I presently have an HD main tv and 3 SDs (master, kitchen, & kids room). The kitchen and master may be upgraded to HD over the remainder of the year.

Viewing habits would be:

1. HD Main - wife and need DVR capability
  2. SD Master - me and need DVR capability
  3. SD Kitchen - watch while cooking, no need for DVR
  4. SD Kids - kids and need DVR capability
What I fear is that there may be some periods where all three DVRs may need to be recording as well as any combination of being watched, recording, etc. I think the kitchen and master can be on one.

I have read alot about the 722s, and 622s, and all the other ones...but what I am looking to do is go with the option that gives me the greatest flexibility and balance that against costs.

Thankyou for any help in advance

Greatest flexibility is a 722 at each TV. Best cost is one 722 with the 3 SD's on the TV2 output (all having the same viewing and access to the DVR. Somewhere in the middle is where you'll probably end up.

1. HD Main - wife and need DVR capability
  2. SD Master - me and need DVR capability
  3. SD Kitchen - watch while cooking, no need for DVR
  4. SD Kids - kids and need DVR capability

I would put a 722k in the Main and hook tv2 to the kids room and put a 612 in the master while putting the analog out to the kitchen.

Thank you again everyone. I decided to go with 2-722k's. After much mental wrestling I realized it was likely that I would ultimately upgrade to HDs in any event. So rather than regret things later - bite the bullet -pay the extra fee - and get it done right.

After a few weeks surfing here and reading all that I need to know, I am now officially dangerous to myself, but this site got me through that.

funny how in the end Dish technician came out (just left 10 minutes ago) and told me due to the house location re: trees and next door neighbor - he couldn't install it. Would be very unlikely to get adequate signal.

LOL

Now I never expected to hear that. Oh well, better luck next time. May get second opinion but I certainly do not want someone to say everything will be ok and then I end up having a new nightmare to deal with. Comcast I'm sorry for straying.... (j/k - wish I could dump it STILL)

Thanks again everyone,
Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)