Help! Aquiring signal with no progress!

kaylar22

Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
upstate ny
Hi,

This is my first time here so I am hoping for some help. I'm not the most technically savy person :) I needed to reprogram my universal remote today as it would not work on the dish anymore ( I assumed the batteries might have dislodged, resetting it) anyway, I sat down to do that, I touched nothing but the remote, no wires or boxes or even the tv. I programmed the remote, the dish box powered off and I hit power to turn it back on. It came back on but will not move from aquiring signal screen. The transponder number changes every 4 seconds exactly but nothing else happens. Still says 0 of 5. Its been about an hour. I have tried unplugging and waiting, unplugging from tv, I even removed the little smart card for a second. My model is 311 if that helps any. Please help!

The remote is just a generic universal GE remote. I've tried several times to reprogram since the satellite incident and it is not working. My receiver is the dish network box, says 311 in the corner. Only buttons it has is power, channel up and down and the fold down slot for the little card.

The remote is just a generic universal GE remote. I've tried several times to reprogram since the satellite incident and it is not working. My receiver is the dish network box, says 311 in the corner. Only buttons it has is power, channel up and down and the fold down slot for the little card.
Sounds more like you have a receiver problem rather than a remote problem. Call DISH at 1-800-333-3474 add the service program and get a technician out to correct your problem. Where is your original DISH remote?

The GE remote should work just fine. That being said, it would be best to use the DISH remote while troubleshooting.

Stuff I'd try (if you're afraid to call DISH for help):

1. Disconnect that satellite cable and reboot the receiver (hold the front panel power button for about four seconds).
2. Wait a few minutes and then perform a check switch from the Setup menu (you may have to press the menu button a few times).
3. Unplug the receiver power cable for a couple of minutes
4. Reconnect the satellite cable and reconnect power to the 311.

This is what is known as clearing the matrix.

If it still can't find the satellite, you probably have some issues with the LNB, cabling or the receiver itself.

The GE remote should work just fine. That being said, it would be best to use the DISH remote while troubleshooting.

Stuff I'd try (if you're afraid to call DISH for help):

1. Disconnect that satellite cable and reboot the receiver (hold the front panel power button for about four seconds).
2. Wait a few minutes and then perform a check switch from the Setup menu (you may have to press the menu button a few times).
3. Unplug the receiver power cable for a couple of minutes
4. Reconnect the satellite cable and reconnect power to the 311.

This is what is known as clearing the matrix.

If it still can't find the satellite, you probably have some issues with the LNB, cabling or the receiver itself.
He has already pulled the smart card same as doing your #1
#2 311 only has 3 buttons on front of receiver can't do a check switch.
#3 he has already tried unplugging.
His problem started with a 311 not responding to a remote I think he may need a new receiver the $15 service call seems like the cheapest method for someone that has no idea what he is doing.

He has already pulled the smart card same as doing your #1
Does pulling the smart card disconnect the satellite cable or otherwise clear the matrix?
#2 311 only has 3 buttons on front of receiver can't do a check switch.
This is why I recommended using a DISH remote.
#3 he has already tried unplugging.
I don't see where this was done in conjunction with a matrix clearing.
His problem started with a 311 not responding to a remote I think he may need a new receiver the $15 service call seems like the cheapest method for someone that has no idea what he is doing.
Or it could be that the GE remote has slipped a cog and going back to the DISH remote will at least allow the OP to do some basic diagnostics.

I suggest that your reply isn't as helpful as you thought.

If the OP didn't get to the check switch, the matrix was never cleared. I am with Harshness, I don't see why you haven't been able to do anything with the GE remote, but the Dish remote would be your best option to go through the receiver's menu's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)