HELP!! Can't even get a signal with new SWM dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spradley007

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
United States
I have a r16-300 and I just installed a SWM (3 lnb) dish. I am trying to find the signal and I get nothing. The only menu that I can pull up has the "Tuner 1" and "Tuner 2" signal strength. This is how it was when my old dish had to send 2 cables to my DVR. From what I understand the receiver is supposed to auto detect the new dish... PLEASE HELP!

When receiver powers up it goes to "receiving satellite info..." screen and stays at 0. The only setup menu that will come up is signal strength... which is 2 menus, the second one i described below. it has "signal 1" and "signal 2"

Once it goes to 0% or searching for signal hit "exit" then "menu-satellite-rerun sat setup". This will make the R16 recheck for SWM. If it was set to old school this is the only way for it to find SWM

Ok, so holding down "info" brings up the detailed menu. It recognizes my dish, but I cannot get the slightest signal... I have the azimuth, elevation and tilt set to the values that the receiver provides, but when I pan the dish side to side I can't get it to register anything?????

My settings align with the coordinates that directv provides when I enter my zip code. These numbers are not the same as dishpointer.com, although I have tried those settings too

Since you have previous experience aiming a dish, I am sort of ruling out the obvious mistake of not having the magnetic azimuth set correctly and thinking you may have the elevation set wrong. For an initial setting you need to align the red (or white) line on the back part of the elevation bracket with the elevation settings stamped into the front side of the elevation bracket. If you use the edge of the bracket you will not have the correct elevation. You can leave the bolts that hold the final elevation setting a bit loose while you are adjusting things, but make sure you get the nut on the elevation "dithering" bracket (the one with the nut with the dial markings on it) tight enough that the elevation cannot move while you are setting the azimuth. With the elevation set correctly you should be able to get some reading on your receiver's meter as you move the dish slowly back and forth from the original azimuth setting.

As you know, you go for the highest reading while adjusting the azimuth. When you have the highest reading tighten the 3 bolts on the bottom of the mounting bracket that attach to the pole. Now, loosen the nut on the elevation dithering nut and move the dish up and down for the best meter reading. Now tighten the side bolts that hold the elevation setting. Since the sounds like a permanent setup, you should now adjust the azimuth and the elevation dithering bolts for the best signal. (You can videos on You-Tube that show you how.) Finally, set your receiver for 99 and peak the signal by adjusting the tilt.

The only other thing that might be giving you trouble is you have something obstruction your line of sight. But, again I am assuming that you would have checked for that before you setup your dish.

Hope this helps.

Putting my zip code into the menu, gives me these settings- Azimuth: 215, Elevation: 40, Tilt: 60. Elevation and tilt are set correctly and then azimuth is set approximately. i pan from left to right and can not get a reading beyond 0...

Back to sodly's question, are you using the bracket to align for the elevation? Have you checked the connections to make sure they are tight? Are you using the old dish with a new lnb or an entirely new setup?

Back to sodly's question, are you using the bracket to align for the elevation? Have you checked the connections to make sure they are tight? Are you using the old dish with a new lnb or an entirely new setup?

the red mark is set to an elevation of 40. connections are good... the receiver detects the new dish. entirely new setup

Assuming your connections and elevation/skew settings are good, that leaves a bad lnb, line of sight issues, bad receiver, or azimuth setting.

Just to confirm that you are getting the correct info from your zip input, your coordinates put you on a small farm somewhere around Columbus Ohio. And the skew setting comes closer to 70 than 60 degrees. When you are in areas like this, the zip can cover a lot of territory. I would strongly suggest that you find your specific physical location with dishpointer.com and use their settings for your setup. (Do be sure you set the satellite to 101) I use this site when we are on the road with our RV and find that it works very well.

Other than that, Chip pretty well covers the other options.

r16 you can only get 101 sat, 110 and 119 only on swm 5

If there is hd access on the account it will get hd, too. spradley007 didn't mention whether or not he had hd access. I don't know, but I suspect you should show signal strength on 99 and 103 even without hd access.

Just to confirm that you are getting the correct info from your zip input, your coordinates put you on a small farm somewhere around Columbus Ohio. And the skew setting comes closer to 70 than 60 degrees. When you are in areas like this, the zip can cover a lot of territory. I would strongly suggest that you find your specific physical location with dishpointer.com and use their settings for your setup. (Do be sure you set the satellite to 101) I use this site when we are on the road with our RV and find that it works very well.

Other than that, Chip pretty well covers the other options.

I am in New Orleans. Dishpointer tells me to use an elevation of 53.1 and an azimuth of 200.9, and I am aiming at 101W DIRECTV 4S | DIRECTV 9S | SES 1. I def don't have line of sight issues and it is a brand new dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts