HELP!! Can't even get a signal with new SWM dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thats what I thought-how come your settings are different from mine fro Dishpointer.com??
?Are you using the settings for multi sats for SL3 at the bottom of the list on dishpointer -not single sat?

Thats what I thought-how come your settings are different from mine fro Dishpointer.com??
?Are you using the settings for multi sats for SL3 at the bottom of the list on dishpointer -not single sat?

We do get the same results. I was quoting true azimuth, not magnetic. But lets be realistic. If my other settings are accurate, I should get some hint of a signal at either azimuth setting. As it is, I am sweeping my azimuth trying to find a signal.

There are 3 possabilitys
1 - No power out of Power inserter- check with volt meter
2 - Bad LNB-try another?
3 - Bad IRD (receiver)- trade at where another is working ?
About all else has been covered if the settings are still correct on satellite setting in receiver
Let us know when /what you find ?
?Don

If there is hd access on the account it will get hd, too. spradley007 didn't mention whether or not he had hd access. I don't know, but I suspect you should show signal strength on 99 and 103 even without hd access.

R16's can't see 99 or 103. They're SDDVR's so he won't even be able to see them. 95, 101, 110, and 119 is all they'll see

There are 3 possabilitys
1 - No power out of Power inserter- check with volt meter
2 - Bad LNB-try another?
3 - Bad IRD (receiver)- trade at where another is working ?
About all else has been covered if the settings are still correct on satellite setting in receiver
Let us know when /what you find ?
?Don

My receiver was working fine before I switched dishes, and it auto detects the correct dish so I know it is getting power. I don't think the receiver would pick up the proper dish if the LNB was bad??

R16's can't see 99 or 103. They're SDDVR's so he won't even be able to see them. 95, 101, 110, and 119 is all they'll see

Can't the R16s become hd dvrs with hd access on the account? If so, then they can see 99 and 103. I don't know if it would show in the ss screens if hd access isn't activated.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse here, but, if you were using the original settings you posted in entry #12 of this thread (az=215, el=40, etc) you can spin the dish all you want and you will never get a signal when your elevation is supposed to be set to 53 - the settings you just posted for New Orleans. I apologize if you have already tried the 53 degree elevation, but nowhere in any of these posts do you indicate that you have done the setup with the dispointer figures. I would seriously focus on getting this right before I worry about any hardware issues. Nothing can work until these are correct.

Can't the R16s become hd dvrs with hd access on the account? If so, then they can see 99 and 103. I don't know if it would show in the ss screens if hd access isn't activated.

No, it does not matter what you do with an R16 you can't turn it into an HD DVR or get it to see 99 and 103. maybe you are confusing it with the R22.

No, it does not matter what you do with an R16 you can't turn it into an HD DVR or get it to see 99 and 103. maybe you are confusing it with the R22.

Ah, it's the R22 that can become an hd dvr, not the R16. Thanks for that information.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse here, but, if you were using the original settings you posted in entry #12 of this thread (az=215, el=40, etc) you can spin the dish all you want and you will never get a signal when your elevation is supposed to be set to 53 - the settings you just posted for New Orleans. I apologize if you have already tried the 53 degree elevation, but nowhere in any of these posts do you indicate that you have done the setup with the dispointer figures. I would seriously focus on getting this right before I worry about any hardware issues. Nothing can work until these are correct.

I have tried the coordinates from Dishpointer and the coordinates from the receiver guide.

So.... I got an installer out here. The coordinates from Dishpointer AND the receiver were both wrong. I wasn't able to find anything because the tilt and elevation that I was using was wrong. The guy said he doesn't even pay attention to that stuff. He has a really nice signal tester and fixed it in a about 5 minutes. He said that you have to be much more precise with HD dishes...

I'm glad you got it straightened out. I wonder why the numbers you got from the receiver and dishpointer were wrong. GIGO perhaps?What are the settings you are using now?

I too am glad to see that things have worked out well for you.

I am still a bit confused about dishpointer having failed you so badly. I have used these figures on trips from Southern California to Arizona and north to Montana and east to Minnesota with fairly good accuracy. Like Chip, I too would be interested to know what azimuth and elevation the installer ended up using. But, those figures may be hard to come by.

More important, you are good now. Great.

The elevation and skew are easy, the azimuth is just an estimate.

So the big question is whether or not you're located near Lafreniere Park. If you are, you've finally got the correct numbers; Goochland, Virginia (Az=215, El=40 from post #12) is a mighty long way from New Orleans.

Since we had to drag you kicking and screaming to use dishpointer.com, did you know that you can zoom in on your dish location to get the most accurate numbers? You can also type in your street address and it will put the pointer at the end of your driveway.

Could you attach a picture of the elevation scale on your dish bracket? It would probably also help to have a picture of the dish and its immediate surroundings so we can be assured that the mast is plumb and the dish isn't being blocked by an eave.

Generally speaking, to get 101W, all you need to get right is making sure the mast is plumb and you've dialed in the appropriate elevation. To get 119W, you must also have the tilt set right. Using the fine tuning screws really shouldn't be necessary for SD programming but they will come into play in a big way when you get up and running with HD receivers.

So the big question is whether or not you're located near Lafreniere Park. If you are, you've finally got the correct numbers; Goochland, Virginia (Az=215, El=40 from post #12) is a mighty long way from New Orleans.

Since we had to drag you kicking and screaming to use dishpointer.com, did you know that you can zoom in on your dish location to get the most accurate numbers? You can also type in your street address and it will put the pointer at the end of your driveway.

Could you attach a picture of the elevation scale on your dish bracket? It would probably also help to have a picture of the dish and its immediate surroundings so we can be assured that the mast is plumb and the dish isn't being blocked by an eave.

Generally speaking, to get 101W, all you need to get right is making sure the mast is plumb and you've dialed in the appropriate elevation. To get 119W, you must also have the tilt set right. Using the fine tuning screws really shouldn't be necessary for SD programming but they will come into play in a big way when you get up and running with HD receivers.

You think you can tell if a mast is plumb by looking at a picture? Really?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)