Help cant get Dialed in to FTA Galaxy 19 Newbie in New Port Richey FL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IvanWest

Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
United States
I have been trying to pick up the free to air 97w galaxy 19 g25 for 2 weeks, I have a Pansat2500a receiver hooked up to a Dish Turbo HD eliptical shaped dish I think 39" . I have a DP Plus LNBF A21CA2 3 LNBS in all hooked up to my receiver, I used a compass to set it to 208 degrees on my iphone and 53.5 elevation . Al i can pick up is Dish Latino Promo channel, I want to dump cable and lower my bills , Only real cable Chanel I care about is Discovery for Gold Rush. I also want Local channels for free. Help . I even bought an app for my iphone( sat finder pro ) , It shows all the Birds in the sky , I have no obstructions , When I try to use the eyeball target app on Sat Finder Pro the Dish is pointed straight up to zero in and have it give an audible. Still no signal, Re set to 53.5 elavation on dish pole and redial toe 208, 213, to allow for magnetic . Help do I need to buy new lnbs ? Will Dish LNBS only pick up Dish?

You need an FTA dish and attach a linear lnb to it. Sometimes you can find a used one all setup on Craigslist. Otherwise checkout Ebay or Sadoun Satellite Sales.

Using an old elliptical dish is possible, but causes heartbreaks for a newbie. I know, I've been there! You'll pick up a lot more channels anyway if you get a proper 75 cm, 90 cm, or 100 cm dish for Ku-band. :)

Ivan,

Unfortunately, you won't be able to watch Discovery Channel for free.

As for locals, get yourself an OTA antenna and plug it directly into the back of your TV. Check tvfool.com for details on the stations you should be able to receive. It looks like you're well within the coverage of transmitters for all the major networks.

Before you spend money on your satellite set-up, check the Galaxy 19 spreadsheet that is posted in this forum every few weeks. It lists all the channels you should be able to receive. On 97W, you'll get lots of international channels. There are a few with English language progamming. Ebru is probably your top station. There's also China News Channel, RT, KTV2 and some others.

But it's not a replacement for regular cable. You won't find any of the major cable networks on there.

I'm also not sure if your receiver can do HD programming. It might only be compatible with the older DVB-S standard, rather than the newer DVB-S2 HD standard. If so, make sure the stations in the spreadsheet you want to watch are compatible.

Its mostly ethnic, sometimes soccer and various religious programming on Galaxy 19. There are a few channels on other satellites that I watch occasionally including PBS. However mostly I enjoy FTA as a hobby just to see what I can get but then I very seldom find anything I want to watch. I rely on my Dish Network for that. So don't expect the programming you're used to getting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts