Help... Confused about antennas

dshlaw

Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
I need advice on a minimal (size & price) antenna. I have a Directv HR10-250 receiver, if that matters. Should I try an indoor antenna or attic-mount, or should I start with a roof-mount?

My Antennaweb results are attached.

Attachments

• AntennaWeb.doc
    30 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for the info, Charper and Lunkie.

Any thoughts on whether I should first try to hang the CM 4228 in my attic (for aesthetic reasons)? If so, do you know of a good set of instructions that describes how to do it and what mounting hardware I need? Also, what cable and pre-amp should I use?

One more question - Would a roof-mounted Squareshooter get better reception than an attic-mounted CM 4228?

Thanks for the info, Charper and Lunkie.

Any thoughts on whether I should first try to hang the CM 4228 in my attic (for aesthetic reasons)? If so, do you know of a good set of instructions that describes how to do it and what mounting hardware I need? Also, what cable and pre-amp should I use?

The 4228 on the roof will always make the house look better!!! A house with no antennas or dishes, now thats ugly!!!!!!

Which Antenna? Close to 'Farm' but also want a distant local.

Hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm about 8 miles from my Austin antenna farm. Per antennaweb, all stations are yellow, except for Fox which is red. (but I think Fox may actually be yellow now). Stations are either at 106, 108 or 112 degrees.

I'm also very much hoping to receive a more distant violet PBS station (46-1) in Belton/Killeen which is at 17 degrees and 46 miles away. (also would be great if i could happen to pick up San Antonio stations ~75 miles away).

Wondering what antenna i should get, being that i'm very close to the Austin stations, but 46 miles from the Belton station. Would a 'big' antenna be a mistake for the close (Austin) stations? (i.e. overload my reception?) Wondering if i pointed a mid/large antenna at Belton, if it would still pick up Austin. I get the Austin stations pretty well with an unamplifed indoor antenna. Or would a directional antenna pointed at Belton not see the Austin stations? In that case should I use an multi-directional?

Also hoping to avoid having to use any sort of AC power, and avoid having to touch/rotate the antenna once installed.

What antenna brand/model is best for this scenario?

Also, I plan to split the antenna signal and feed it via coax to TV1 on both my 622s. I'm not 100% sure how to do this, but have a general working knowledge about diplexing the feeds and then undiplexing them at the receivers.

Sorry for the long post, and appreciate any feedback anyone can provide.

Last edited:
How high up can you go to get the distant stations? Any indoor fancy thing in the attic should work on the close stations. The biggest problem your going to have without a rotor is the stations you want to get are 90 deg apart. A directional antenna with a beam width wide enough to do what you want does not exist. If you want the 46 mile station it's going to take high gain and height, unless your on a hill and can "see" the tower. This set up may work ok for your close towers or it may not. Here's most likley the best 2 long range uhf antennas. http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4228.html
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/XG91.html
The xg91 is more directional, the 4228 might do better with the locals while pointed at the 46 mile tower

Thanks Lunkie,

yeah, i was thinking about the CM 4228. I am in one of the higher spots in town, but really no idea if i am higher than that station 46 miles away. kinda possible though. as far as the height of the antenna...well, i have just a one story house, and wasnt planning on more than like a 4 to 6 foot mast...

heck, i can try it out and see. thanks again!

Thanks Lunkie,

yeah, i was thinking about the CM 4228. I am in one of the higher spots in town, but really no idea if i am higher than that station 46 miles away. kinda possible though. as far as the height of the antenna...well, i have just a one story house, and wasnt planning on more than like a 4 to 6 foot mast...

heck, i can try it out and see. thanks again!

Having height on your side is the best things going as long as there's not a hill between you and the tower. The 4228 does not cost alot compaired to others and if it won't pick up the 46 mile station aim it at the others, it's more than enough for that.

Be cautions with going to the CM4228, You are going to have two VHF digital stations with the February 2009 change over.

WLBT-DT NBC is moving to channel 7 a channel that the 4228 is very poor with.
WJTV-DT CBS is moving to channel 12, not the best for a 4228.

If you do go with the 4228 now you can add a VHF high yagi to the system later and combine them with a CM 7777 pre-amp. Hopefully the signals will not be so strong as to overload the 7777.

If you're concerned about price look at a Radio Shack VU-90 or similar.

Last edited:
If Fitz is only 8 miles from the towers and on a hill it still might work with the 4228. If not he could use a low gain vhf high yagi at the locals, without preamp and combine with the uhf, perhaps in the house to keep power to a uhf preamp if needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts