Help - DISH Tech says get DIRECT TV!

Patti

Original poster
May 11, 2008
WV
Hi. Hope someone can help. I'm new here. Been having big trouble with DISH tv for months. One day last week lost signal 88 times in 12 hours. Nice clear sunny day. Doesn't matter what sort of day it is. Not only will I get the error message, There are times when some channels work and others don't. But the ones that don't work on one tv work on another. I have talked to the people at DISH so often, I know the routine and "do" all the steps before calling them for "help". They of course imply I am an idiot and at fault somehow.

When I told them I would switch to DIRECT tv, the offered to send a tech over this morning at 8am (Sunday)!

He showed at 8am! He said we have 3 trees blocking one of the satellites and a small opening where the other one is. He said the satellites are low in the sky and the only thing we can do is cut the tops off the trees.

DISH has been installed for aboutt 8 years and I am not sure how fast oak trees grow but we would have to cut 20' off the top of 3 trees (all of a sudden). Not an option. Expense for one and seondly we live in the woods and like it. (if cable would come here, they WON'T) we'd switch everything!

He said DIRECT tv has satellites further (east I guess it would be) to the left and higher in the sky and that is all we can do.

Pointing the DISH sat. higher won't help (to clear the trees) becasue it will no longer be pointing at the sat.

Anyone have any ideas/insight/wisdom to offer? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Patti

Dish uses sats at 110, 119 and 129 the 129 is for HD

DirecTV uses sats also at 110 & 119 plus 101 for HD they use 99 and 103 also there is some HD on 110 and 119 I think.

Sounds like you will still have problems with some channels.

Can you move the dish or put it up higher on the roof or on a pole so the angle is better to shoot above the trees?

I live in the woods and had to cut down 2 trees. I had to do this after having Dish for 6 years without an issue. I did this 2 years ago. Ever since I cut down the trees, I have full signal and all is good except for the very heavy rains. If you want Dish Network (never had DirecTV) then I suggest doing what you need to do to get a good line of sight. However, I suggest that maybe the tech could re-locate the dish to another spot on your house or property so you do not have to cut down any trees as another option. I had my dish put on a well installed pole in the yard (I will never allow a dish to be mounted to my house).

I can tell you for a fact oak trees grow fast...and very, very tall. I agree with trying to find another spot on the property to move the dish.

If you go to DishPointer.com - Satellite Dish Pointer / Alignment Calculator with Google Maps, they have a pretty useful tool that uses google maps to show you a line where each satellite is at in relation to your property. You can even "move" your dish on that map to your current location to get an idea of what trees are the offending ones.

If you post your zip here, we can tell you the elevation angles. From that information, I recommend cutting a 2x4 at that same angle. Then, while holding the 2x4 level, you look up the cut and see if those offending trees have grown in to the line of sight.

Also, it is possible with a weakened signal that some receivers will still lock a signal while others won't. The "threshold" at which a receiver won't lock a signal is different on each box and is also dependent on the cable run length. So, if those trees are growing to where they are finally starting to cut into your signal, it will affect some receivers before others.

WOW! This sounds rather complex, but fun. . . and something I can do while recovering from hand surgery. Just to find a 2 x 4. My zip is 25404, but a "long" 8 miles from "civilization". Cutting down the tress is just not an option.

I think the most frustrating part is that one tv gets some channels and the other does not get those same channels. But at least we have been able to watch LOST and the CHILLER channel works - LOL!

Thanks. Patti

that doesn't sound right if one tv gets a channel and the other doesnt.. either you have 1 mpeg4 and 1 mpeg2 box or theres something funky at your switch/box..

Well, I don't know what to say to that. . .the one in the bedroom has a DISH 500 Twin DP 111 w/software 278 and the main one is a DISH 500 Twin DP 301 w/ software 392. Neither of them pass a sys. sat test on 119. The Chiller channel works in the living room and not the bedroom. Same w/ some of those music channels lile Aura and mooscapes.

We are changing to DIRECT tv, if for no other reason than DISH techs have treated us poorly. We spend 100./ mo. for close to 10 years and and all they offer is what I already know to do. The signal loss has been ongoing for close to 6 months increasingly in frequency. We get fewer and fewer channels and less air times as the days go by.
They sent a tech out only after we said we would switch and that tech said there is nothing they can do (not even relocate the dish), but we have to cut the trees.

I see why people are saying that what I am saying makes no sense, that one channel working in one room and not another "can't" / "shouldn't" happen; and I mean no offense, but I am so tired of that.

I don't even care if it should or should not/ can or can not happen. It's broken and if it can not be fixed or if it can maybe be fixed but cutting some tress, that isn't good enough. I mean how can a problem that no one acknowledges be fixed by cutting a tree? If no ones seems to really know the cause . . . Same dish, same wires, same sat.

I get it when the power goes out. I get it when the signal goes out totally, and way too often due to rain..

Think I better go shopping, Maybe I've broken the too much venting rule, sorry. . . Patti

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)