Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
Dog6869 needs some helping deciding between the 2 providers. Lets keep it civil and no flaming back and forth please. Just help him decide which provider will best suit his needs.

My questions to you would be these.

How important are sports to your family?

What market are you in (Boston, New York, New Orleans, etc.)

Do you want an HD DVR too?

Are there any specific channels you need or want?

How many rooms do you want to have receivers?

I would wait a couple of months, see what channels they each add, then make your decision based on that. Unless, of course, there are channels that one carries that the other doesn't. For me, I want the Yankees in hd. That makes D* the only choice since E* doesn't carry the YES network in any form. There are channels that E* has that D* doesn't. If you want those, then go with E*.

I was faced with this dilemma when deciding to upgrade to HDTV. At the time, I was unaware that D* only offered about a dozen HDTV channels. However, the price in packaging is what got me even before I called D* and got upgraded. The channels I like most are included in the package I have, but at dish they were 10 bucks more, then the HDTV is another 20, plus 5 for locals. At D* I only paid an extra 10 for the HD programming.

My questions to you would be these.

I hope this helps..

Not really that big if we may have some friends over we may watch da Saints OTA

I alive in Laplace La which is in the New Orleans area..

Yes and the wife does fill it up all the time.. Man I do have to train her!!!!

The wife needs the normal Foodtv/HD, HGTVHD I like to watch Bicycle racing on Vers. We both like movies..

I have two HD TVs and one standard TV

I would wait a couple of months, see what channels they each add, then make your decision based on that. Unless, of course, there are channels that one carries that the other doesn't. For me, I want the Yankees in hd. That makes D* the only choice since E* doesn't carry the YES network in any form. There are channels that E* has that D* doesn't. If you want those, then go with E*.

I am still sitting on the fence to see what 'D" is going to bring to the table... But it seems like "D" has been making this 100 Plus HD channel thing for a Loooooong while, or is it just me..

Dish Network subscriber that comes in peace. :)

Dish Network Cons:

New Orleans HD locals are not available with Dish Network but you could use OTA to watch them.

Dish Network Pros:

External USB Hard Drive to archive your recordings when the wife fills up the available space. :)

FoodTV HD and HGTVHD are already available with Dish Network.

As far as pricing, they are pretty much the same when it comes to programming but Dish Network has a promotion that makes the HD DVR free. I don't know if Directv has the same offer.

Dish Network Cons:

New Orleans HD locals are not available with Dish Network but you could use OTA to watch them.

Dish Network Pros:

External USB Hard Drive to archive your recordings when the wife fills up the available space. :)

FoodTV HD and HGTVHD are already available with Dish Network.

As far as pricing, they are pretty much the same when it comes to programming but Dish Network has a promotion that makes the HD DVR free. I don't know if Directv has the same offer.

RandallA Thanks for your input!!! I would like two HDdvrs for each of my Tvs is that possss?? Also does "E" surpport the external hard drive, and using the USB and not firewire can it record HD?? I like Dish more becuse it has the japan channel

Direct has HD locals over sat so for lots of folks, thats a deal breaker. Here are the New Orleans locals.

Available Channels
Network Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel #(older receivers) HD Channel
CBS WWL 4 / 4
NBC WDSU 6 / 6
FOX WVUE 8
PBS WYES 12
ABC WGNO 26 / 26
PBS WLAE 32
CW WNOL 38
ION WPXL 49
MNT WUPL 54

The HR20 works great now and you can add an eSATA drive which can quadruple your recording space. The only drawback is it wont add to the internal but rather turns that one off and makes the external the drive. Still great to increase recording. I will think of a few more things but HD locals are important to me if not wanting to deal with OTA. Dish just hasnt had the same HD local push as Directv is doing.

Dish Network Cons:

Additional con related to this. E*' HD DVR only has one OTA tuner so you wouldn't be able to record two network HD shows at the same. Nor would you be able to watch one and record another. D*'s HD DVR has two OTA tuners.

For me this was a deal breaker when I considered switching to E* about a year ago since E* doesn't offer HD locals in my market and I watch more HD shows from the network broadcast channels than any other channel.

But keep in mind that if there are HD Locals in your market, then you can record from the OTA tuner and both HD Sat tuners at the same time. So for me, I can record up to 3 HD LIL channels at the same time (Which comes in handy on Thursday nights). The DirectTV HD DVR will only record two programs at the same time if I recall correctly.

I am still sitting on the fence to see what 'D" is going to bring to the table... But it seems like "D" has been making this 100 Plus HD channel thing for a Loooooong while, or is it just me..

You can't build, launch, and activate a satellite overnight. And they aren't cheap. They've got 2 in the sky specifically for the "100 HD", that money is already invested, and price increases have been miniscule. Until earlier this year, D* had not made any formal announcements regarding when they would go live. Most of the HD channels haven't even launched yet. We'd all like it to happen faster, but IMO it's been reasonable given the cost & complexity.

You can't build, launch, and activate a satellite overnight. And they aren't cheap. They've got 2 in the sky specifically for the "100 HD", that money is already invested, and price increases have been miniscule. Until earlier this year, D* had not made any formal announcements regarding when they would go live. Most of the HD channels haven't even launched yet. We'd all like it to happen faster, but IMO it's been reasonable given the cost & complexity.
There is only 1 new one in the sky right now that will serve the 100 HD. The next one goes up in December and will bring us the 150 HD capacity D* has been talking about.

There is only 1 new one in the sky right now that will serve the 100 HD. The next one goes up in December and will bring us the 150 HD capacity D* has been talking about.

my remark stands corrected... point is, there's huge investment in (2) birds, and a long time for design, construction and test long before either could fly.

RandallA Thanks for your input!!! I would like two HDdvrs for each of my Tvs is that possss?? Also does "E" surpport the external hard drive, and using the USB and not firewire can it record HD??

As I read this, you are looking for two (2) DVR's PER television? If so, that will be pricey. Generally, the best deals available for the HR20 (HD-DVR) is going to be maybe free, but more likely $199 with some programming credits. And that is for the FIRST box. Each additional box will likely run regular price ($299) each.

Cheaper option would be to get one HR20 per HDTV, and one SD-DVR for the third SDTV. Then add an eSATA drive enclosure to each box. The cost will be cheaper than getting unique boxes for each.

Some people who have the space and forethought to cable their houses this way use one rackroom for multiple boxes then split the combined signals to all TV's and use IR remotes from whatever room they are in. In my dream home, it would be this way, and maybe it already is this way for you....a thought.

As for external drive support, I can only speak to D*. There is no formal support for this, but most everyone I have seen post about it has stated that it worked well off the bat and no need for support. But it will be a caveat emptor situation....keep the receipts ;)

Can Dog6869 get fios?

No I wish i could, I would not even be looking at the SATT guys.. Up in Ascension parish they have FiberEdge from Eatel..( FIBER evey thing to your house and in side your home also) No I have to chose between Comcast or what I am using RTC (Reserve Telephone, Cable)

At one time I had Voom, D* E* and Cable all at the same time on my HDTV and the best picture was Voom then D* then E* then cable. we have bad cable here everything is underground and it was put in over 20 years ago, I live about 1000 ft from the gulf and I think the saltwater has degraded the lines and they have no plans on replacing them, good old mediacrap..aka mediacom.
Also if you get someone with D* to Referrer you, you can get a nice deal.
DIRECTV - Referral Program

OK Ok I have made my mind up!!! I have just ordered DIRECTV with a bundle package with ATT. (PHONE, DSL and D-TV Premier package)
I just called the J B and D Digital Satellite company. (the company that D-TV said has the contract to do the installation) The CSR was not really that informative of what exactly I was getting except the HD DVR combo? (Her words not mine) and the AAU Satellite Dish??
I am waiting for a call back from the installer some time later today but I wanted to get a handle on what I should be getting and what is old and what is up to date.
Again I live just outside New Orleans, LA in LaPlace. I get good OTA channels using my old voOm box on my Sony HD monitor.
Will my D-TV HD DVR be able to record and show programming on the menu using the OTA antenna??
Thanks again to everyone that has helped me with this question in the past. A huge Thanks to Brewer4 for starting this link for me.
Brewer, I am sitting here having a nice cold Lazy Magnolia Pecan beer (Lazy Magnolia Home Page)
TED!!!!

OK Ok I have made my mind up!!! I have just ordered DIRECTV with a bundle package with ATT. (PHONE, DSL and D-TV Premier package)
I just called the J B and D Digital Satellite company. (the company that D-TV said has the contract to do the installation) The CSR was not really that informative of what exactly I was getting except the HD DVR combo? (Her words not mine) and the AAU Satellite Dish??
I am waiting for a call back from the installer some time later today but I wanted to get a handle on what I should be getting and what is old and what is up to date.
Again I live just outside New Orleans, LA in LaPlace. I get good OTA channels using my old voOm box on my Sony HD monitor.
Will my D-TV HD DVR be able to record and show programming on the menu using the OTA antenna??
Thanks again to everyone that has helped me with this question in the past. A huge Thanks to Brewer4 for starting this link for me.
Brewer, I am sitting here having a nice cold Lazy Magnolia Pecan beer (Lazy Magnolia Home Page)
TED!!!!

Congratulations! A couple of things to think about:

Make sure you have all the equipment you need (per your previous posts, 2 HR-20 HD-DVR's and one SD box) on your order with DirecTV - working with the installer directly might or might not work - they could show up with only one box on the truck if they don't know they need three.

Also, keep in mind that you will need three cable runs to each of the HD-DVR's (assuming you're putting OTA into both) - two for the SAT, one for OTA. They are coming out with a single wire solution for the sat, but I don't think it's generally available yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)