Help.. finding G25 or something else for that matter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AndyCYXU

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
I got me a new dish 39' with a DG780 LNB which i understand is Standard Linear LNB, got it all set up what not.. but i can not for heavens find anything in the sky... :(
I tried looking for G25 as it seems to be somewhere where i have clear view of the sky nothing in it's way, I live in London, ON these settings i got from a site

Elevation: 37.9°
Azimuth (true): 202.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 211.7°
LNB skew: 16.2°

set the satelite as above.. (as far as azimuth after setting elevation I even slowly "scaned" turn dish from 200 - 230 at least maybe more slowly) had wife watch the TV to see if any Quality signal appears at all.. nothing never) I managed to get SIGNAL as high as 83 but 0 for quality

went out bough satelite finder the little guy for $20 with compas and all the best i could get was my dish pointing apprx 210deg (compas reading), but like i said nothing for quality at all always "0" try moving the elevation a little move the azimuth a little left to right the sat finder would beep very loud at times i had wife watch the TV if anything shows for QUALITY but nothing ever... :(

guy at the store even told me no need to skew the LNB so i tried both way skey to apprx 16deg, no skew, skew a little.. nothing ever changed, what am i doing wrong..?

even had LNB conected directly to Reciever no switches in between.. still nothing

Any suggestiong...?

my equipment is ViewSat Ultra
Dish is 39' <-- it is not really round looks more like an egg not quite but nor round i measure it's more like 36-38x39-40' or so more less.. maybe it's bad dish.. but i doubt it :rolleyes:
LNB is DIGIWAV DG780
apprx 180' of cable from LNB to reciver

also tried running tru all the TP frequencies to see if some other freq give me QUALITY but no nothing signal strenght varried a little between frequencies from 60- 85 but never no QUALITY

Thanks for any help you can give me

PS: could it be that difficult to find satelite... ? i mean i do not believe that 211.7deg rally make that big of a deaL if i have it at 211 or 212.. even though i am not sure how to work with the magnectic variation that is at my location +/- how many degrees still i scanned the sky slowly from at least 200-230+ deg.. i am lost

Thanks for nay help

Andy

I got me a new dish 39' with a DG780 LNB which i understand is Standard Linear LNB, got it all set up what not.. but i can not for heavens find anything in the sky... :(
I tried looking for G25 as it seems to be somewhere where i have clear view of the sky nothing in it's way, I live in London, ON these settings i got from a site

set the satelite as above.. (as far as azimuth after setting elevation I even slowly "scaned" turn dish from 200 - 230 at least maybe more slowly) had wife watch the TV to see if any Quality signal appears at all.. nothing never) I managed to get SIGNAL as high as 83 but 0 for quality

went out bough satelite finder the little guy for $20 with compas and all the best i could get was my dish pointing apprx 210deg (compas reading), but like i said nothing for quality at all always "0" try moving the elevation a little move the azimuth a little left to right the sat finder would beep very loud at times i had wife watch the TV if anything shows for QUALITY but nothing ever... :(

guy at the store even told me no need to skew the LNB so i tried both way skey to apprx 16deg, no skew, skew a little.. nothing ever changed, what am i doing wrong..?

even had LNB conected directly to Reciever no switches in between.. still nothing

Any suggestiong...?

my equipment is ViewSat Ultra
Dish is 39' <-- it is not really round looks more like an egg not quite but nor round i measure it's more like 36-38x39-40' or so more less.. maybe it's bad dish.. but i doubt it :rolleyes:
LNB is DIGIWAV DG780
apprx 180' of cable from LNB to reciver

also tried running tru all the TP frequencies to see if some other freq give me QUALITY but no nothing signal strenght varried a little between frequencies from 60- 85 but never no QUALITY

Thanks for any help you can give me

PS: could it be that difficult to find satelite... ? i mean i do not believe that 211.7deg rally make that big of a deaL if i have it at 211 or 212.. even though i am not sure how to work with the magnectic variation that is at my location +/- how many degrees still i scanned the sky slowly from at least 200-230+ deg.. i am lost

Thanks for nay help

Andy

What are your settings in the antenna setup menu?
Since you say you have a standard LNB, set the type to standard. Set LNB freq to 10750. Then go into channel scan menu and try for freq, 12177 S/R 23000 Pol V Be sure you are showing signal, then slowly try adjusting your dish. I can confirm this transponder is active.

Skew is mucho important especially with a 16 skew. Skew the LNB first. if it was 5 then skewing isnt as important. But 16 skew is needed to get good signal

patience is the main thing .... its easy to set up, easy to aim , everything sounds easy :) just hard to find the first one...... if you get frustrated just take a break and come back here and talk it through.

location +/- how many degrees still i scanned the sky slowly from at least 200-230+ deg.. i am lost
with a compass you should point at 211.7 or about 212 you shouldn't have to vary more than 3 degrees either side. so basically set it at 212 and adjust the elevation slightly while watching a live transponder.

good luck

You don't say who the manufacturer of the dish is, but sometimes the elevation markings at not accurate (for example, I have dishes by Fortec, and at least one was out by 4 degrees).

Line the dish up where you think it should be and do a blind scan (called smart scan on Pansats, don't know what it is called on the ViewSat Ultra). If you get any transponders with channels on it, use SatelliteGuys.US - TheList to try and determine what satellite you are on and then adjust your dish accordingly.

If you don't get any signals, move your dish left or right a bit and then blind scan again. Keep doing this until you lock on any satellite (adjust elevation as well, and then do another pass in the general area of where you think G25 is).

Once you do lock on a satellite and can identify it, it is a good idea to use a marker and mark the location on the pole so that you can always return to it as a point of reference.

Good luck!

Andy, in the Viewsat setup, what is the LNB Frequency set to? 10750? I don't have a Viewsat receiver to be able to assist in which menu to look at, but a standard LNB is 10750.

Something else to try, when you see that you have some really good signal indicators, do a Blind Scan (sometimes called Power Scan) - The receiver will then search out ALL of the Ku frequencies and scan the channels in for whatever satellite it is pointed at. Based on what channels show up on your screen, you can tell what satellite you are actually pointed at.

Which end of London do you live in? Who knows, I may be able to just walk around the corner and help you point the dish..

Dish is a NoName dish... :) just blank... i will try some more tomorrow and will try the blind scan

also LNB is set to 10750, but i will try later with adding the TP Freq 12177 S/R 23000 Pol V

will let you know and i will skew the LNB too..

hoe it will worm up a little :eek: "outside :eek:

Thanks for your suggestions so far.. will go from there...

Andy, I have found that if I just set the rec on any ku transponder and watch the signal strength screen=it will bounce up as you get close to an active satellite. The trick is to get the reading as high as possible once you find activity, then just run a blind scan on whatever sat you think you're on or close to. See what you get, and by the results you can figure out where you're pointed. Crude but effective method works for me anyway.

would receiving strong signal mean that I am in fact receiving a satellite signal, I once read somewhere that strong signal might mean anything not really a satellite signal, just some other signal from heck knows what like my neighbors’ phone or something well I will try to play with it some more tomorrow see what happens..

PS: also the little satellite finder I bought I hooked it between receiver and LNB instead of using the battery pack that came with it... is that OK? I hope so.. I did that cuz I had no AA batteries, but power came on and it lit up once I turned the receiver ON..

Thanks

If the meter is working, its running on the rec power, should work fine. The viewsat has 2 meters, one for signal and one for quality. On mine, if I am pretty near a satellite signal, the strength meter will be reading 68-75, and quality will be showing 30-40+. If you get no quality reading you prob aren't on a satellite. Once you get SOME reading on both meters try the blind scan, once it stores some channels you can go to one of the channels, peak the elevation and east/west for highest settings. Strong signals will go to near 95/95 (sig and qual) Only saw it hit 100% on ONE channel on ku tho lol, just the way the software works)

would receiving strong signal mean that I am in fact receiving a satellite signal, I once read somewhere that strong signal might mean anything not really a satellite signal, just some other signal from heck knows what like my neighbors’ phone or something well I will try to play with it some more tomorrow see what happens..

PS: also the little satellite finder I bought I hooked it between receiver and LNB instead of using the battery pack that came with it... is that OK? I hope so.. I did that cuz I had no AA batteries, but power came on and it lit up once I turned the receiver ON..

Thanks

Receiving signal just means you are getting signal from the LNB itself. The quality meter is the one that will tell you that you are actually getting signal from a transponder.

Thanks guys I was finally able to get a QUALITY seems my elevation gauge is not so good on this NoName dish... however i do not seem to be able to go much over 12-15 some other frequency gives me as high as 30-40, but channel is not free and i really don't care much for it even if it was.. Oh well at least it works.

As far as quality on freq where i get 10-15 reading it does not seem i can get any better. Just as little as touching the dish "extremely sensitive" it changes the quality but not by much maybe +/- 5points

I mention earlier that this dish is not really round, but more like an egg shape, but not elliptical.. could it be that the dish is crappy made or something...

BTW.. skew of the LNB does matter so much for the guy who sold me telling me it don't :p, thanks for this pointer!

Again Thank You all for your help and encouragement

I don't think so I will try attach picture second picture shows elevation for G25 which should be 38 looks like the screw is a marker :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC02721.JPG
    DSC02721.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC02722.JPG
    DSC02722.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 209
Did you try adjusting the dish east/west when you finally hit something with quality? The elevation, skew, and azimuth are the only 3 things I can think of to adjust on a fixed dish (other than the focal distance, and if the lnbf came with the dish, it should be the right distance from the dish surface.)

Thanks guys I was finally able to get a QUALITY seems my elevation gauge is not so good on this NoName dish... however i do not seem to be able to go much over 12-15 some other frequency gives me as high as 30-40, but channel is not free and i really don't care much for it even if it was.. Oh well at least it works.

As far as quality on freq where i get 10-15 reading it does not seem i can get any better. Just as little as touching the dish "extremely sensitive" it changes the quality but not by much maybe +/- 5points

I mention earlier that this dish is not really round, but more like an egg shape, but not elliptical.. could it be that the dish is crappy made or something...

From the back, the dish looks fine, and am not too surprised that the elevation was off (mine was off the other way, had to add 4 degrees to get the correct elevation).

What channels/transponders are you getting?

Am surprised at the low readings for quality, should be a lot higher than that for G25. Just to make sure you have the skew correct, if looking from the front of the dish, the LNB should be angled this way: \

Keith

12010 V
tp 17
Knowledge Channel

this channel was around 30-40 for quality NOT FREE it was the best quality achived

freq 12084 was apprx 10-15 MAX 20...

and i think i was getting one more freq withe few chanels.. but no more then if i remember correct 20 channels all together were found

then i tried ECHO 3 61.5W i found it again even though it's not FTA i would expect it to download some channels even get some good Quality even if you can't watch it... oh well.. but again I only got 1 or 2 freq that doanloaded at most 18 channels.. i think they were all scamble.. but still only 18 channels.. :confused: seems very little

OR if the chanels are scramble it will not even download them.. ??

Oh well i do not know i want to buy motor then at least i onlt need to lock to One satellitle and i am hoping it will work better for me.. I hope at least anyways... :rolleyes:

Andy

12010 V
tp 17
Knowledge Channel

this channel was around 30-40 for quality NOT FREE it was the best quality achived

freq 12084 was apprx 10-15 MAX 20...

and i think i was getting one more freq withe few chanels.. but no more then if i remember correct 20 channels all together were found

then i tried ECHO 3 61.5W i found it again even though it's not FTA i would expect it to download some channels even get some good Quality even if you can't watch it... oh well.. but again I only got 1 or 2 freq that doanloaded at most 18 channels.. i think they were all scamble.. but still only 18 channels.. :confused: seems very little

OR if the chanels are scramble it will not even download them.. ??

For starters, Echostar3 is a circular satellite, so your linear Digiwave LNB will at best only pick up a few of the lower transponders of the circular spectrum (which is higher than the linear spectrum), and not at very great signal quality (compared to what a circular LNB would get).

With G25 you definitely should have been able to get higher signals than listed above, so something is definitely wrong.

You mention you have a cable run of 180'. What type of coax is it? It should be all RG6 (not RG59/U, standard cable tv coax), it will say on the cable what type it is.

Can you post a photo of the front and side views of your dish and LNB, might be something we can see from that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.