Help finding signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Adowell

Original poster
May 13, 2006
Hey guys, I'm new here. My mom and dad have the dish 500 and are wanting to get the Dish Family Pack. They were told to point the dish to the southwest and put the receiver on sat 119 and 110. They have the old receiver btw. The problem is the transponder #. They have asked different people what transponder number they need and they have been told different numbers by different people, so they're not sure which one they should have it on.

They live in western kentucky, the paducah area. If anyone knows which azimuth number they need, the angle, and anything else that would be helpful, please let me know. They have asked dish network people for help, but they want to send someone out there and charge $100.00 to install it.

Thanks.

If you can pick up a strong signal on transponders 11&12 on 119 you are close. Good Luck and welcome aboard. Push the menu button and then the numbers 6,1,1, and peak angles.

Last edited:
Well, so far my dad has not found any signal. They did have dishnetwork using 2 dishes, one for each receiver. They went to skyangel, then dropped them and are now wanting the dish family pack. Instead of using the two old receivers, they are now trying a dish 500, which used to be mine. I need to know what skew number it should be on, the azimuth, and the elevation...just to be sure he has it on the right one.

Thanks.

Adowell said:
Well, so far my dad has not found any signal. They did have dishnetwork using 2 dishes, one for each receiver. They went to skyangel, then dropped them and are now wanting the dish family pack. Instead of using the two old receivers, they are now trying a dish 500, which used to be mine. I need to know what skew number it should be on, the azimuth, and the elevation...just to be sure he has it on the right one.

Thanks.

Push the menu button and then the numbers 6,1,1, and peak angles.

You need to do this or give us a lot more information.

Yes, we did that, and the numbers that it shows us is different than what the local store told us to put in.

The dish tv screen says:
azimuth angle 218
elevation 39
skew 120

The main dish office says:
azimuth 213
elevation 42

Local office says:
azimuth 224
elevation 39

Adowell said:
Yes, we did that, and the numbers that it shows us is different than what the local store told us to put in.

The dish tv screen says:
azimuth angle 218
elevation 39
skew 120

azimuth 213
elevation 42

Local office says:
azimuth 224
elevation 39

What dish are you using. First numbers are probably for a dish 500. Second and third set seem for one or two dish 300's.

set the skew somewhere around 220
elevation around 39
azimuth is probably around 224 (i would think the local guys should know)

If they can't seem to get it to work, let me know... i'm a few hours a way and can do a service call.... it would be $100 do install it though :p

Notice I said "around" each number... you can't just set it to certain numbers and it's gonna work... those numbers are a starting point, you need to find the signal, then adjust those numbers to peak your signal.

also, very key, make for certain that your mast is plumb

If you put your right zip in to peak angles, your receiver should be right. I would tend to agree that local would know the settings, but I can't understand why neither the main dish office or local dealer did not include the skew number in their settings. Anything without skew would have to be dish 300, every other dish used has skew. I would comfirm that with local dealer plus all the numbers seem too far apart.

Note that, in my estimation, the dish 500 is a pain to point with only a compass. What you want to do is point it so that it "looks" like it is pointing at 101, its because of the offset, I think.

$100 for redoing a self install is a bargain, IMO. Dish isn't making any money off that fee unless they send an inhouse guy.

Adowell said:
Hey guys, I'm new here. My mom and dad have the dish 500 and are wanting to get the Dish Family Pack. They were told to point the dish to the southwest and put the receiver on sat 119 and 110. They have the old receiver btw. The problem is the transponder #. They have asked different people what transponder number they need and they have been told different numbers by different people, so they're not sure which one they should have it on.

They live in western kentucky, the paducah area. If anyone knows which azimuth number they need, the angle, and anything else that would be helpful, please let me know. They have asked dish network people for help, but they want to send someone out there and charge $100.00 to install it.

Thanks.

On satellite 119 have them search for signal on transponder 12 or 13.
On satellite 110 have them search for signal on transponder 1.

The dish 500 settings to start with are : Elevation- 39
Azimuth - 212
Skew - 120
Pretty close to what the Dish TV screen told you.

Once the skew is set to 120, do not change that setting again.
The slow movements will be with Azimuth and Elevation.
Pause a few seconds after each movement for signal to show.
I guess they will be using the receiver signal graph at menu 6-1-1 and a monitor for watching the satellite and transponder readings.
Have them do a check switch as well.

Adowell said:

Thanks.
Zip code of Paducah is?.......

Adowell said:

The dish tv screen says:
azimuth angle 218
elevation 39
skew 120

azimuth 213
elevation 42

Local office says:
azimuth 224
elevation 39
The first one is correct..the other two are from left field....

gdarwin said:
Use 42001. According to google.
Look below..AZ/EL and SKEW are provided...
Hook it up and use a meter to peakl the dish....If no meter, open window and crank up the volume on the tv closest to the open window and listen to the signal meter..
Good luck......

I really appreciate all of your help, though we still can't get it. Are there some switches or something that we need? I remember that when I had to send my stuff back to dish network, they asked for the switches too. It's been a couple of years ago, and I can't remember much about it. Right now, we have one cable attached to the 119 side going to one receiver, and another cable attached to the 110 side going to a different receiver, and that's it. Do we need something else?

Keep in mind that they had the basic package just a few days ago and I set that up for them several years ago. Then they switched to skyangel, and found that signal as well. They changed their mind and are trying to get the family pack, and now we can't get the signal.

They had the old dishes before and the old receivers. Now they have the dish 500 but still using the old receivers. Would that make a difference?

Also, my correct area code is 42044.

Adowell said:
I really appreciate all of your help, though we still can't get it. Are there some switches or something that we need? I remember that when I had to send my stuff back to dish network, they asked for the switches too. It's been a couple of years ago, and I can't remember much about it. Right now, we have one cable attached to the 119 side going to one receiver, and another cable attached to the 110 side going to a different receiver, and that's it. Do we need something else?

Keep in mind that they had the basic package just a few days ago and I set that up for them several years ago. Then they switched to skyangel, and found that signal as well. They changed their mind and are trying to get the family pack, and now we can't get the signal.

They had the old dishes before and the old receivers. Now they have the dish 500 but still using the old receivers. Would that make a difference?

Also, my correct area code is 42044.

Depends on what type of lnb's you are trying to use. See if it says DishPro or DishProPlus. If it does not have either of those on them, then you have legacy and will need an sw switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)