Help finding signal

bryan_foster3

Original poster
May 30, 2006
I have just gotten into the Dish Network contractor business. I was in broadband before. They kinda just threw me out there on my own (they had promised training - HAH!) I have both an analog signal meter and a Birdog and I am still struggling to find the right satellite. I downloaded all the right stuff from the Birdog site. I call into the office and the guy keeps telling me I am on the wrong satellite. I could use ANY info or advice that anyone has. I am working with all kinds of dishes and receivers. HELP! If I can't do any better than this, I'm not gonna make it and the wife is gonna kill me. Thanks.

:confused:

bryan_foster3 said:
I have just gotten into the Dish Network contractor business. I was in broadband before. They kinda just threw me out there on my own (they had promised training - HAH!) I have both an analog signal meter and a Birdog and I am still struggling to find the right satellite. I downloaded all the right stuff from the Birdog site. I call into the office and the guy keeps telling me I am on the wrong satellite. I could use ANY info or advice that anyone has. I am working with all kinds of dishes and receivers. HELP! If I can't do any better than this, I'm not gonna make it and the wife is gonna kill me. Thanks.

:confused:
If you has no experience on satellite installation, get a dish and old receiver and fooling around at own home and this will learn a few thing, but, since dish is the most weir procedures on difference dish, you need to learn each type of dish their elevation plus if there multi lnbf, the difference setting on the dish.

Analog meter will be good for single dish, but you need to learn and remember the signal reading, each satellite has the difference download reading. Birdog is good, but its not suitable with the newest dish.

There really not much can tell unless you hand on the stuffs, make sure all system is grounded.

As one who has installed a lot of dishes over the past 10 years, including DirecTV, Dish and Vsat, and one trained as a mechanical engineer, I would say that how one assembles a dish is very important.

Distortion of the assembly usually occurs, when the dish is just haphazardly installed in any old order and the bolts are just tightened randomly.

First, tighten the nuts on the bolts for the tilt and the elevation to get the most precise settings.

Assemble the dish on the pole, and thighten the vertical mounting nuts tight enough to take up the vertical wobble, but not so tight as to keep the dish from swinging on the horizintal arc with some pressure.

Tighten the second elevation nut on the side without the graduated protractor. Then, tighten the tilt adjustment nuts not marked with the adjustment protractor.

Set up the receiver with the signal strength screen. Peak the signal for 119.

After the highest signal strengths have been found, lock the pole mounting nuts tight.

Loosen the elevation nuts and ajust the elevation up and down to achieve the highest signal strength at 119. 110 will automatically come in, as well as 129 with a Dish1000.

Like torquing the heads on a car engine, the assembly technique based on the stress analysis is important.

The BirDog does not work well with the newer DishPro plus lnbs. Use either a legacy dual at 110 or a legacy or standard DishPro twin. After locking the satellites, replace the lnb with the final one and do another check switch.

I'm still using an old Digisat II with good results, although I have a lot of advances meters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts