Help for a rookie?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jake22

Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I appologize in advance if this is too basic for this site. Anyhow--I have a TiVo HD recorder that I've had for about two years. I called DirecTV today and was told that if I want the local (Mpls/St.P) regional sports channel, I have to scrap the TiVo and get a new DVR from DirecTV and new dish. Cost isn't awful---about $99, but will have to endure the installation and sign up for two more years. Does this info seem correct? I really like TiVo---does the DirecTV DVR have the same features? If someone could point me to an unbiased source on these issues, I would be grateful. Jake.

:welcome

The HR20 HD DVR does the exact same things as the Tivo HR10-250. The interface is different but both do the basic DVR functions like recording, season passes, etc. However, it goes beyond and does the new format MPEG4 HD channels like your locals and RSN sports channels. It is also designed for the future 100 HD channels coming. So in order to view those you need the new dish and HR20.

$99 for the dish and HR20 is not a bad deal. It is a lease scenario and does require a 2 year commitment but its the only way to get a good deal at a lower cost. There are several threads here that talk about the HR20 and D*'s HD channels. Scott is writing up a detail analysis of his first week plus with D*'s HD and HR20. Stay tuned for that.

That sounds like a great deal to me, similar to what I got.

Besides the new MPEG4 HD channels if you have high speed internet you will have access to VOD when it comes out this summer.

I still have both boxes HR20 & HR10-250 and I like the HR20 better.
It was an adjustment but easy to get used to. The only thing I really miss is the 7 second jump back when you fast forward. But there is a 6 second rewind button for that purpose.

I am really used to my HR20's now and really like them. There are differences and most are just getting used to as chazcbh mentioned. The only thing I think Tivo is way better at is Trick Play (rewind, fast forward, 30 second skip, etc.) Its much better on the HR20 after the multiple software releases but still not as smooth as Tivo or as responsive.

Everything else, I've moved on and like the HR20 interface and functions especially the new White GUI in the CE release. I have a -100 model and -700 model and using simultaneous so I am using the old GUI and new White GUI side by side and I really like the new White GUI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)