HELP! Having Trouble Getting Dish Orbital 77

RogerWilco2345

Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Hello to all:

Having some difficulties pointing a dish, and was wondering if someone could offer some guidance...Here is my setup.

<<<Western Arc>>>
Dish 1000.2
Receiving Orbitals 119, 110, and HD programming from 129
Using a Dish DP44 for the switch
I have 3 receivers, which are all Dish VIP211k's
Using a Super Buddy meter to point...

I need to get my locals on orbital 77...I live in Lake Charles, La. To get orbital 77, I'm trying to use a Winegard DS-4061 24" dish with a Dish DP LNBF. On the meter, I'm able to get between 50 and 54 on the signal strength when pointing the dish. After I run the test switch function on the receiver, I get guide information for the 4 local channels, however I get no video or audio...After a few minutes on the channel, the receiver gives the typical error message indicating it is trying to acquire the signal. I'm wondering if I maybe need a dish with skew capability, so that I can fine tune the signal?!...or is this totally wrong thinking??? Any guidance would be appreciated...Remember, I'm a novice, so go easy on me...Thanks!!!

To Add...

I forgot to mention...I'm going thru port 4 on the DP44 switch for orbital 77...Also, when I go to the system summary page on the receiver, it indicates the device for 119, 110, and 129 is 1K.2, but FEED is indicated for 77...At one point, it changed to 1K.2 for the device, but went back to the FEED indication...Should I be worred about this?

Hi, what happens if you hook up the 24 inch winegard direct to the receiver and then run the check switch? If that works then you must have a switch configuration problem. BTW - skew will not matter on a dish that has only one LNB when on a circler transponder but you might still have to peak the El and Az to get the most out of it. Hope this helps, DC

Thanks for all your comments!

delta_charlie,

I actually did do a direct connection to one of the receivers, but got the same results!?...Forgot to mention that...Thanks for the info regarding skew...I'll just have to try harder on the alignment!

iceberg,

I'm able to get guide info on all 4 local channels, so I'm thinking this would confirm that I'm pointed at the right bird...Plus, I ran the confirmation algorithm on Super Buddy, and it passed several times...Let me know if this thought is in error! Thanks for the input!!!

P.S. -I do get some signal on TP 10, but best signal strength for me seems to be TP 13.

papalittle,

That's a good question!!! I plan to add another receiver later on in the near future!!!Thanks!

Again, many thanks for your comments!!!Keep them coming folks! In the meantime, I keep trying!

Getting the guide info only means is that you are subscribed to the locals, if your signal strength is too low, you will not get picture. What is the level on TP 10? TP 13 only matters for the channels on it, since your locals are on TP 10, you need to concern yourself with that TP.

Do you guys think a dish with a bigger reflector would help??? Like I said, I'm a novice...:confused:

Hi, I'm on W.A. so I can't check 77. Does it have Con US foot prints on some of the TP? If so peak on one of those. You might want to check the spot beam coverage for your locals and make sure you are within the spot. I would think you should be able to get a solid signal at least on the Con US TP using a Dish 500 and that is smaller then the dish you are using. Perhaps there is something wrong with the Winegard dish or the way the LNB is mounted.

You could as a test try setting up the dish with one receiver on a different satellite like 110 or 119 and then you could compare the signal levels with your 1000.2 and see if the Winegard is working as good as it should be.

Hope this helps, DC

Hello to all:

Having some difficulties pointing a dish, and was wondering if someone could offer some guidance...Here is my setup.

<<<Western Arc>>>
Dish 1000.2
Receiving Orbitals 119, 110, and HD programming from 129
Using a Dish DP44 for the switch
I have 3 receivers, which are all Dish VIP211k's
Using a Super Buddy meter to point...

I need to get my locals on orbital 77...I live in Lake Charles, La. To get orbital 77, I'm trying to use a Winegard DS-4061 24" dish with a Dish DP LNBF. On the meter, I'm able to get between 50 and 54 on the signal strength when pointing the dish. After I run the test switch function on the receiver, I get guide information for the 4 local channels, however I get no video or audio...After a few minutes on the channel, the receiver gives the typical error message indicating it is trying to acquire the signal. I'm wondering if I maybe need a dish with skew capability, so that I can fine tune the signal?!...or is this totally wrong thinking??? Any guidance would be appreciated...Remember, I'm a novice, so go easy on me...Thanks!!!

Are you using the power inserter with the DPP44 switch? I've seen those things function properly with 3 sats and then act real screwy with the 4th if the power inserter isn't used. I would eliminate the switch and plug the 77 to then 'LNB in' port on the Dish1000.2. There is no need for the switch at all with your setup. Of course, remove the power inserter as well if you do that.

Yes, the power inserter is present...I need the switch for future expansion...Will be adding a fourth receiver soon...

Thanks for all your comments!

delta_charlie,

thanks for the input! I don't have a Dish 500 unit to test with, but will try doing a direct connection to the Winegard dish with a receiver to see if I can get better results...Already attempted this once, but it was a rush job the first time...I'll take my time this time around!

Thanks for the input!

If directly connecting the 24 inch Dish to a Vip 211 does not work, then there is either a problem with the LNB or the cable.

Try finding 61.5 or 72.7 with that dish, if none work, the lnb is bad.

Check for stray wires of maybe a short stinger on the cable to the 77 dish. Try a different lnb. If your locals are on 77 , there should be a good enough signal for it to work on a D300 (1/2 the surface area of the 24 incher).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)