Help! How to Connect older Philips TV

agouram5

Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Greetings to all you electronics gurus... thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

I have a 2003 manft dtd Philips PP 55 9401 rear projection large screen PIP TV and want to hook up to my new Dish Advantage service. This model is sold as a HDTV monitor and is "HDTV ready". For connections , it lists: composite video/audio input (RCA phono X 3); S-video (4 pin mini DIN); component video input (RCA phono X 3); audio line in; monitor output (RCA phono & miniDIN); audio line out; variable audio output (RCA phono X 2); and finally, antenna & RF (F connectors)...

what and where do I connect a new Dish 722 HD DVR so my monitor can give me HD channels from my new, to be hooked up Dish Advantage????

I have been using S-video cables from BEst Cables since D* was installed, but am I unable to use HDMI? or what do I do to go from "ready" to IN USE in HD!!???

Thanks for your thoughts guys... a nuub scratching his head as the installer circles the block.

I have a 2003 manft dtd Philips PP 55 9401 rear projection large screen PIP TV and want to hook up to my new Dish Advantage service. This model is sold as a HDTV monitor and is "HDTV ready". For connections , it lists: composite video/audio input (RCA phono X 3); S-video (4 pin mini DIN); component video input (RCA phono X 3); audio line in; monitor output (RCA phono & miniDIN); audio line out; variable audio output (RCA phono X 2); and finally, antenna & RF (F connectors)...

what and where do I connect a new Dish 722 HD DVR so my monitor can give me HD channels from my new, to be hooked up Dish Advantage????

I have been using S-video cables from BEst Cables since D* was installed, but am I unable to use HDMI? or what do I do to go from "ready" to IN USE in HD!!???

Thanks for your thoughts guys... a nuub scratching his head as the installer circles the block.
Since your list of available connections does not list HDMI, you will need a set of component cables.

Use component...as good as HDMI.

Use component...as good as HDMI.

This is true for now. If and when HDCP is enabled for the premium and PPV channels, you will need to either get a new set, or settle for SD resolution on those channels. HDCP content will only be available over compliant HDMI channels at HD resolution.

A bunch of gobbledy-gook above. It means use the component cables now. Sometime in the future the component will give you a low resolution picture on some HD channels. Blame the studio paranoia as they are doing this to prevent copying.

Thanks for the comments

Guys,
Thanks for the feedback... I can relax and take the HDMI cable back and just use components until then!

Any thougths on whether it's worth buying the upscale "gold" component cables ?
Do they better handle the HD traffic or "speeds"?? TIA

Guys,
Thanks for the feedback... I can relax and take the HDMI cable back and just use components until then!

Well, there is the cheap stuff that ships with the box, then there is good quality stuff like sold at monoprice, or by Belkin. Then there is overpriced/overhyped stuff like Monster and above that provides no real benefit but costs an arm and a leg.

Stick to the middle category.

Guys,

NO. Use the least expensive ones you can find. JMHO. If you're not in a hurry get 'em from monoprice.com . Even with priortity shipping they'll cost you less than Walmart and you'll have 'em in 3 business days.

Ed

NO. What you have is just fine. I'm using a set that came with the box...I would not call them cheap stuff at all.

This is true for now. If and when HDCP is enabled for the premium and PPV channels, you will need to either get a new set, or settle for SD resolution on those channels. HDCP content will only be available over compliant HDMI channels at HD resolution.

A bunch of gobbledy-gook above. It means use the component cables now. Sometime in the future the component will give you a low resolution picture on some HD channels. Blame the studio paranoia as they are doing this to prevent copying.

For that the OP needs to Google the HDFury!

I concur with the component recommendation.

Thanks guys...installed today!

installer used the triple cable in the 722 box and the HD looks great to me and am only kicking myself for taking so long to upgrade!!!

the 722 is awesome, and allows the kids to watch their own channels or record their own channels without bothering my ESPN...fantastic! EVERYBODY is happy.

thanks again for the help to a new guy...I'm actually going to RTFM this time and hopefully know all the essentials of the new box.

love this forum!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts