HELP! I need to drop new cable for dual tuner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ZX6RRNEWBIE

Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
I know I'm new around here but I need to help a friend install the two tuner capability on her new DirecTV TIVOS. The problem is I can't get into the wall where the existing cables are to drop another two lines. Right now I have two existing cables coming from the three LNB satelite dish to each receiver, in the same wall, there's one receiver in the living room one in the bedroom. She has three recievers in all (1) standard and (2) DirecTV TIVOS I was wondering if this would work (see file attached).

Taking the two existing cables running them into a 2X4 multiswitch and feeding two of the outputs to one receiver and two to the other. I want to place the multiswitch inside the wall.

Is this possible?

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
Ed

PS: My friend is a recent widow and I'm trying to brighten her life.

Attachments

• direcTVmultiswitchHDTiVo2x4.gif
    direcTVmultiswitchHDTiVo2x4.gif
    54.4 KB · Views: 262
drop etc

No --------- to make it work with all functions you need to use 4 lines from your Phase III dish to a 4x or 5x multiswitch and then run your needed lines from there to your receivers.
any other configuration and you will have nothing but headaches.

2 tivos =2 lines to each for full use and each standard receiver gets 1 drop to it.

4X8 WILL GIVE YOU PLENTY OF DROPS

5X8 IS ONLY NEEDED IF YOU WANT TO CARRY OFF AIR OR CABLE SIGNAL ALONG TO THESE LOCATIONS.

Thanks Voomer!

That's what I thought but I found this on another forum:

"Can I connect two Multiswitches together (cascade one to another) to add more connections? Well, that really depends. If you are using an 18" Dual LNB dish, then you could "cascade" two switches together....so you could take a 2x4 switch and have 2 of the outputs feed the inputs of another 2x4 switch to give you a total of 6 outputs. There are many issues that you have to be aware of though....length of cable, quality of multiswitches and whether they are powered or non-powered may affect whether or not this will work. If you have an 18x24" elliptical dish, it is a little more complex, but can be accomplished. As mentioned above, the receiver will send a 22khz tone to tell the multiswitch that it wants the 119 degree satellite. This tone is only used by the multiswitch and is not sent back up to the LNB's....if you have two 4xn switches connected or a 4xn multiswitch connected to the built in multiswitch on a dish, the "2nd" one will never tell the "1st" one that it needs to see the 119 so the receivers connected to the "2nd" one would ONLY see the 101 satellite. There are switches designated as "cascadable" that WILL send that 22khz tone upstream, thereby allowing you to connect it in series with another multiswitch (such as a built in one on the dish). These are more expensive than non-cascading models. The other way is to get "tone generators" which go on the two cables designated for the 119 satellite. They go inline between the two multiswitches (or between dish and multiswitch if you have the built in multiswitch on the dish). These tone generators are about $10-$15 each and they put the 22khz tone on the line so that the 1st multiswitch (or built in one) sees the tone and puts that line over to the 119 satelllite."

Have you ever tried this?

Thanks,
Ed

swiches and mess

Things can be accomplished similar to that ,but then you are adding way to much into the setup/thus making it even harder to find the problem in the future. Besides all the mess in doing something like that you end up with as much or more time and money in the setup as if you where to do it right and be done with it.
A setup like what was listed is OK for more advanced users etc.
Not in my opinion the way to go though.

Best way is the logical way of using the correct switch and running the proper drops.For trouble free and lasting service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)