HELP!! I think my 522 is crashing!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ezyemail

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
My 522 started acting up last night, it powers off to do a Hard Disk Function for over 300 mins when the screen says it will only take 45 mins.

Now, the 522 powers off , comes back on, dowloads the program guide half way then goes to black, then powers on to do the hard disk for 1 min then goes to black.

Its been doing this for almost 24 hours.

I did a master reset and unplugged it for 2 mins.

Any other suggestions??

Has anyone heard or had this problem.

Dish wants to send another receiver, but I have stuff saved I wanted to burn to DVD.

Thanks!

It sounds like your 522 has developed a bad hard drive the only thing you can do is let it keep trying it might come back up if it does transfer the shows you want to keep. The odds are pretty small on that happening but stranger things have happened in the world of computers good luck.

Thanks for the reply, have you heard of this problem with other 522's?

Mine had the same problem Sunday night and had to get a new receiver sent out. It came last night. Hummmmm, wonder why so many 522s are suddenly having hard drive problems?

wonder if tivo makes a 2 tuner like the 522, I am willing to switch

As far as I know the only Tivos with 2 tuners are the Direct TV Tuners and they are designed to only feed 1 TV so no dual mode like the Dish Network 522

if you have a spare maxtor 4R120L0 or 4R160L0 lying around you can connect it and see if that helps.

Changing the hard drive might get the 522 working again however he will not be able to recover the recording he wants to save I dont think a ghost image of a bad hard drive onto a good hard drive is a good idea but I guess you might get lucky and solve the problem.

I suspect the 2.32 software "upgrade"

My hard disk seemed to fail a couple of days after the 2.32 software download too. Dish replaced the 522 but, obviously, I lost all the recorded programming I had on the old unit. Talking to the tech support guy who phoned back for more information and reading recent posts on this forum, I strongly suspect that Dish's incomplete software testing has finally caught up with them in a big way and they have a box-killer download problem on their hands.

The only true "box-killer" download would be one that accidentally disabled the ability to download the next update.

Pepper said:
The only true "box-killer" download would be one that accidentally disabled the ability to download the next update.
I don't know about that. I've seen at least three people on this forum (myself included) that have lost their 522 since the upgrade. I'll bet there are hundreds more that Dish is having to swap out recently.

Sorry if my glass is half empty but I'm still pissed about losing the PPV movies that are now on their way back to Dish on an inoperable 522 HDD :mad: Yes, I copied them to VHS but it's just not the same without digital surround sound.

This is strange, but my 522 was down for 3 days with the problem you all were having , I lost all data, now at 9am this morning when the DISH repairman comes over to replace the 522, I went to show him the problem and the box correct itself. The box is back to normal. I am saving all my shows to DVD before it crashes again.

Do you think I should swap this box anyway??

ezyemail said:
My 522 started acting up last night, it powers off to do a Hard Disk Function for over 300 mins when the screen says it will only take 45 mins.

Now, the 522 powers off , comes back on, dowloads the program guide half way then goes to black, then powers on to do the hard disk for 1 min then goes to black.

Its been doing this for almost 24 hours.

I did a master reset and unplugged it for 2 mins.

Any other suggestions??

Has anyone heard or had this problem.

Dish wants to send another receiver, but I have stuff saved I wanted to burn to DVD.

Thanks!

Today my 522 started doing the same thing as you discribed. I had to call Dish and order my fifth 522 DVR replacement. Is Dish ever going to replace these junky things?????

Troyrb said:
Today my 522 started doing the same thing as you discribed. I had to call Dish and order my fifth 522 DVR replacement. Is Dish ever going to replace these junky things?????
Mine started doing the same thing today. It's been going through its cycle for the past 14 hours. Dish is sending another 522 to us too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)