Help identify Corotor Ku LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

climy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
west
I have a 1.8m offset BUD. Yesterday I stopped by Dish Doctor and he handed over a free junk box Chaparral C/KU band Corotor with a Ku LNB. See the picture. I forgot to ask what the LO frequency was for this Ku LNB but tried 10750 settings on the receiver. Before this, I gently cleaned the Corotor assy to remove corrosion inside the tube. Doing this, also removed the inner Ku parts. I noticed the Ku antenna tube came right out with a protruding Copper wire/antenna ~1/8 in. I figured that segment goes inside the Ku Waveguide but noticing it did not have any "radiator" tip. Continuing, I reassembled. By "radiator", I mean the larger diameter (tiny) piece on the tip of the antenna--similar to what's inside the Ku Lnb. The good news, C-Band works great. So far, no Ku yet. I am testing this on 107.3 West.

My reassembly places the Ku antenna inside it's cavity and the Servo motor polerizer wire turns with the C-band "element" So I assume the mechanical parts works--cause C-band is working.

Did I damage the Ku waveguide parts by removing them?

Is there suppose to be a tiny "radiator" tip on the Ku antenna? Broken off?

What is the LO frequency of this LNB.

Thank You.
Climy

Attachments

• Ku_lnb.jpg
    Ku_lnb.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 298
  • corotor_build.jpg
    corotor_build.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 340
Since you are not familiar with the Corotor feedhorn, let's cover the basics. I don't see a polarity control motor on that feed. I believe it's supposed to have one. If the KU LNB is a universal type, it uses tone switching. What kind of switch are you using to switch between Ku and C? That is an old NewJapanRadio LNB. I tried to google the specs but didn't find any. There are three L.O. freq to try, 10750, 11250, 9750-10600 universal. I have noticed CalAmp C-Band LNBs that didn't have the little "radiator"tip you mentioned, but still had a short wire antenna in place. You'll notice the LNB specs the min voltage at 15V. On vertical channels the receiver only puts out 13v. Is that enough voltage anyway? Of course I'm not sure what you're after because that sat is pretty much all Digicipher KU and a couple of 4:2:2 DVBS feeds.

I should have also wiped down the outside of the Corotor too--looks like coffee splattered on it. Thanks for trying to look up the Ku lnb. That's an oldie part but I will try all the other settings you suggest. It may be the Ku antenna is not fully inserted as one cannot inspect that part of the feed. Right now on the 1.8 m offset dish, I actually think the Corotor is better signal (on a V transponder) and easier to custom adapt and align then the dual feed. Is a stronger signal possible with old corotor? But for experiment, everything is manual. One thing I like about the offset dish is I can work at eye level and fine tune (for experiments with a free corotor, etc). But I have a dual tuner Linux set top box--no switches are necessary for two LNB's but can add one later if needed. Running a LINUX program and Wi-Fi (like an app) remotely see the two tuners signal(s) and make manual adjustments.

I have two cable runs out to the LNB's using two tuners. If I use the dual feed, one for H and one V, receiver is LINUX programmed so I edit the config file for the satellite tricking the receiver to think all the transponders are horizontal. The trick powers the LNB into 18 V (horizontal) but it's a waste of a tuner. If I want, I can use a Ku LNBF or one ortho C band LNB like my photo shows. I cannot move the dish yet but my receiver can "switch" between tuners. Can someone say for this bird, if all the Ku transponders on 107.3W are DC2 however Lyngsat says a few channels are Free, can my receiver get those channels? I have DVD-2S capable tuners. Thank you, Climy

I have no ku on that bird at the moment. You will notice all the "Free" channels on Lyngsat are DCII.

I have only 'on occasion' picked up something on the feeds between 11902 and 11949. Pretty rare. And usually 4.2.2 so if it sounds interesting I still can't see it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)