Help Identifying C-Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shecky

Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Northeast Ohio
I have a seamless, perforated dish that doesn't have any clear markings on it. It measures ~9ft in diameter and is motorized. I'm hoping to get some information on the possible make/manufacturer of the equipment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
dish.jpgmount.jpgmotor.jpgfeed.jpg

Early BV. Before they had the HH mount. Or they offered both HH and actuator models(?) But it's definitively a BV.
I notice the shims, to decrease the declination, on the lower mount. Up north here, we'd shim the upper dish mounts.
If not presently in your possession, make it so.

BV actually had some "manual mounts" before they did ANY motorizing of the systems! While I never saw a "perf" that had been upgraded,
in the mid to late 80's, the dealer for which I worked had a garage full of the manual mounts with the scales on them where the user would literally hand-crank to change satellites. This may have had one of those before the arm was added!

Reactions: madmadworld
Radio Shack Dish

Don't mean to hijack the tread but I also deed help identifying my own dish, and rather than opening a new one I'm posting here.
This dish I bought back in 1992 from Radio Shack in California, I does not have any marks or labels saying who build it I always wonder but now that the motor went south, I really need to know where can I get a new original or not replacement for it.
The dish itself is a 9.5 foot H to H mount with worm gear, I've been very happy with it all these years but now one of the magnets came off the motor armature cylinder and I don't know if I can glue it back, can anyone suggest a replacement one.
I'm posting some pictures I hope the help id this dish.

Attachments

• IMAGE_00102.jpg
    IMAGE_00102.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMAGE_00103.jpg
    IMAGE_00103.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMAGE_00104.jpg
    IMAGE_00104.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAGE_00105.jpg
    IMAGE_00105.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAGE_00106.jpg
    IMAGE_00106.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 278
It has been 20 years since you purchased the system; rather than looking for parts that are no longer manufactured, you might find it more fruitful to take the motor to a facility that rewinds electrical motors, etc.
They can probably handle the rest of it, if necessary, to get it back into like-new running order.

the mount does look like a BV but the feedhorn doesn't .. there was a guy is knoxville or nashville who had a dish that looked like this ... still searching

i've seen and posted pic of a BV stationary mount but this one is different

stationary BV mount
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=17121&d=1181862410

George I think Anole has one like the OP.

EDIT: Nope Anole's is different:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/166575-amci-perf-ajak-motor.html

Last edited:
I like it. I'm voting with Fatair, it does look like a birdview of some configuration. Good candidate for a cleanup/paint job.

I have a seamless, perforated dish that doesn't have any clear markings on it. It measures ~9ft in diameter and is motorized. I'm hoping to get some information on the possible make/manufacturer of the equipment.

Any thoughts?
Darned right! :)

I have one much like it. (see my signature)
I've collected pictures of dishes (many from this forum) for a number of years.
There are a small number that look like first cousins to yours (including mine).

They vary in names, motors, and feed horn mounts.
But all the actual dishes look like peas from the same pod!

What I think happened, is that every little manufacturer who wanted to get into the dish business, ordered an OEM dish-blank from a real metal spinner.
They then outfitted it THEIR way to make a unique product.
That's why they all have different mounts, feedhorn legs, etc.
The only real producer of dishes back then that seem a likely source, is DH Satellite.

Oh, and there IS a seam. It runs horizontally right across yours.
It's where two panels were welded together before the dish was spun to shape.

Mike Kohl commented favorably in my thread on having installed one in California back in the day.
So, if your dish is still in good parabolic shape, it should be a winner.

As to looking a LOT like the Birdview perf dish, well, ... I don't have one to compare to.
But, it's not really that much like the Birdview solid spun aluminum dish.
That comparison I have made.
So, did BV spin both themselves?
Did they buy a DH perf?
Did they have DH make both solid and perf?
All I know is that the BV perf and solid are not the same size, and you'd think they would be, if BV made both!

As to size of your dish, measure straight across the business end, inner edge to inner edge.
No signal is reflecting off that rolled edge, so don't count it.
And, don't let your tape measure droop into the dish - that's not proper.
Now... do you get about 8', like mine? :)
That's okay, it'll still give bigger dishes a run for their money on C-band, especially outfitted with an ortho feed and two good LNBs.
I'm not especially in love with dual band orthos, but other forum members are.

Last edited:
Radio Shack Dish

Thanks for your reply Mike.
That's exactly what am doing rebuilding the motor.
I still would like to find out who build this dish one of the best (imho) I've seen in terms of quality and design.
cheers

Bigote, I used super glue (yellow bottle red cap) on an atv winch motor that both magnates came loose like that, been 2yrs now and still working.

I used gorilla glue and a piece of wood and two clamps to glue new (borrowed from a spare dish motor) magnets on my RV slide out motor. Working great! Some idiot, not me, beat it with a hammer and the magnets shattered.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts