Help, I'm being repressed!(question for techs)

Roadwarrior said:
birddoggy-

... if you are good at what you do you can almost always find someone to hire you. Look around for retailers selling Wildblue also... in this area we have been putting them in like crazy, they have went over very well.

Well, 'good' is a relative term. I'm still learning every day. Just by reading some of these posts I've learned things that I was never taught in my "training". I'm eager to learn and I try to do the best job I can on installs, but I still make mistakes. I'm embarassed to say that I have no idea what Wild Blue is. I'm guessing it's Satellite internet. Is that all they do? Would I need a laptop to install those?[/QUOTE]

Installing is a skill that takes time to perfect... half the "installers" out there never do. When you can drive by a dish and tell what satellite it is pointing at and what the signal strength is (ok, maybe not that one).... then for one you know you have been installing too long, and also that you are one with the dish :p
that drove my ex-wife crazy that I would spot a dish from a block away and be able to tell everything about it, including when it wasn't pointed right.

anyway, back on subject. keep with it, but consider finding a different retailer to work for, you should at least be making money in this line of work...
if you ever have any problems or questions post em up here, or pm me and you will get the answers you need. And as you have found, "training" is just the basics... you will learn more on your own than anyone "trained" you to do.
Don't cut corner's and always take pride in your work... even when the dish is the best looking part of the house you are working at... the best advertising is word of mouth.

And yes, Wildblue is a satellite internet. It is a fairly new company and it has been going over pretty well. Personally I would wait until you get comfortable with the tv satellites before you try getting into internet. Wildblue for one is very picky about their installs. And the 2-way satellites are a lot more sensitive. A tv satellite has about 3% margin of error of being lined up and it will still work. Wildblue is less than 1%.

Stick with it... in my opinion its a fun job

Roadwarrior,

I just hung up my installer gear 2 months ago. When looking for work, you MUST use this website:

Satellite company review page

Keep in mind, however, that not all companies are listed there. The main one that I would worry about is not in your area, though. Rocking R.

PM me if you feel like it, I may be able to throw you a non install related bone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts