HELP! Install in progress right now but no signal!

biggajigga

Original poster
May 28, 2004
After reading the forum, I decided that VOOM was worth a shot -- to me there really is no alternative to receive the same kind of programming. Right now the installer is at my house. He has been here for about 3 hours now. We had gotten the signal level steady at 54 and bolted down the satellite. When the installer came back in the house to check the signal on the television, it was still 54 and only dropped down to 52 at its lowest. Then the installer proceeded to begin downloading and doing setup routines with the STB. All of a sudden, things weren't working and now the signal level has been from 0-15 and he cannot get a signal from the satellite. He's at a loss for what to do and is constantly on the phone trying to figure it out. Does anybody have an idea or a suggestion?

Also, I've heard of the diplexer causing problems. He first tried it using the diplexer and that is when we got the signal of 54. After we lost the signal, he's tried it with and without the diplexer to no avail.

biggajigga said:
After reading the forum, I decided that VOOM was worth a shot -- to me there really is no alternative to receive the same kind of programming. Right now the installer is at my house. He has been here for about 3 hours now. We had gotten the signal level steady at 54 and bolted down the satellite. When the installer came back in the house to check the signal on the television, it was still 54 and only dropped down to 52 at its lowest. Then the installer proceeded to begin downloading and doing setup routines with the STB. All of a sudden, things weren't working and now the signal level has been from 0-15 and he cannot get a signal from the satellite. He's at a loss for what to do and is constantly on the phone trying to figure it out. Does anybody have an idea or a suggestion?

Also, I've heard of the diplexer causing problems. He first tried it using the diplexer and that is when we got the signal of 54. After we lost the signal, he's tried it with and without the diplexer to no avail.

My installer had to reboot it a couple of times - and one time he unplugged it and removed the smartcard. It finally came up and started loading the guide and it had a signal around 48. It started raining, and the signal dropped to 18 for a few minutes, but eventually picked back up and worked. You may be experiencing a whole different problem though.

The box could've been hit with a kill. It needs to get some form of authorization in some cases to even display the signal strength.

Thanks for the help everyone. It seems like he forgot to call and activate and started to tinker around by re-aiming the satellite before calling them. Now it's working. This is his first time installing a VOOM system, although he said he's been doing DirecTV installs for years now. He just took a class for VOOM installations last month and I suppose he forgot. Thanks again -- now I'm enjoying it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)